PDA

View Full Version : Another Weekend....

Merryprankster
10-05-2003, 03:16 PM
Another Tournament.

Took First Loser and got a medal to go with it. It'll find its way into the common pile at Lloyd's.

First match went down with me up by triangle to kimura to armbar combo off a failed sweep attempt. It might have been off a failed omo plata to traingle to kimura to armbar... I dunno. I'll review the tape later.

The second match was a war. I had a very tough opponent in Brett (Don't know the last name) from Linxx Academy of VA beach. He passed my guard for 3 and I swept him for 2. I had a series of submission attempts including an Omo Plata that I screwed up--needed to WALK my belt grip up to his gi collar/shoulder to leverage myself up into the right place--Instead, I relied on hip pressure and let go of his sleeve, and that was it for that... Missed a guard pass because I didn't pin his leg down hard enough--you can see his right come up with me on the tape as I jump to pass. Very annoyed about both of those.

More annoyed about not pulling the trigger soon enough. I came up top at the end and had a guillotine sunk, but I needed just a sweep to win....and time ran out just before I drove him over off camera. If I had concentrated on the sweep--and starting moving balls out sooner into the match, I'd probably have won. Could've, should've, would've... didn't. And 3 to 2 it stayed for the loss.

Brett's a stud--he won three matches in the purple belt absolute at the world's and has vicious pressure and passing. That's about the 6th time I've had my guard passed in competition and it was TIGHT. Getting out from under him was very hard.

Taking nothing away from him--I don't mind getting beat, but I hate losing close matches on mental mistakes--the pin down, the omo plata, the guillotine instead of the sweep--all things that were potential tide-changers. Folks, that's what separates the top 1% from the top 5%. Sooooooo.... it's off to fix my head :D.

On another note, for those of you who follow this stuff, Mike Fowler, resident purple belt phenom, beat both opponents by submission this weekend.

BAI HE
10-05-2003, 04:52 PM
I'm coming off a vacation, drank too much beer, hurt my back lifting and got drilled ito the dirt in Xingyi. I feel like such a slacker.

All in a day's work. Win, lose or draw, you sound as if you got some good learning experience. Hat's off yah Merry, you'll get 'em next time

rogue
10-05-2003, 05:39 PM
Sounded like a good match for the fans MP. Any of the vids going to be posted? You'll roll them next time!:)

Volcano Admim
10-05-2003, 06:31 PM
so you lost?

make sure not forget to ask me a few pointers next time then

Merryprankster
10-06-2003, 02:29 AM
Yup Volcano, I occasionally lose. Unlike you and other internet warriors, I put myself and my skills on the line on a regular basis. This means that occasionally, I get beat.

You have nothing to teach me.

Mr Punch
10-06-2003, 03:00 AM
Nice one Merry. Somebody posting something about learning something through testing some martial arts training.

Beats the hell out of whatever the hell that Ross vs Abel whining is all about.

Any plans for any more MMA or are you still strictly grappling these days? Just wondering...

LOL @ Volcano... jeez Mr P, he could teach you to regain your sense of humour...:D :p

Merryprankster
10-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Mat, my experience with Volcano leads me to believe he's just a troll, hence my response. If he's just yanking my chain, well, then, D'OH!

Right now I am still strictly grappling. I'm looking for a Pan-Am Championship and a World Championship. I won't do MMA again until I get the Pan-Am Medal I'm looking for. Or, until Lloyd tells me I'm doing an MMA match regardless. :D I want to try and get into the Abu Dhabi USA Trials, but have some work ahead of me.

Rogue, I'll get some vids uploaded and posted soon (hopefully).

Mr Punch
10-06-2003, 03:29 AM
Sounds good.

Are these championships just JJ or BJJ or are any kind of grapplers allowed to enter?

And what are the rules?

Merryprankster
10-06-2003, 03:36 AM
Pan Ams and Worlds are BJJ rules.

The Abu Dhabi tournament has its own set of rules. A little odd.

Mr Punch
10-06-2003, 03:46 AM
Do you get non-BJJers trying their luck? If so, how do they fare?

And those Abu-dhabi rules huh! **** those state-sponsored landmines around the ring's edge!:D

Merryprankster
10-06-2003, 03:51 AM
Depends on the calibre of athlete. Excellent wrestlers with basic submission knowledge can compete with some of the best, but rarely win top notch events with a gi on until they get more experience. The gi changes things.

At Abu Dhabi, you get all kinds.

Kristoffer
10-06-2003, 04:56 AM
Abu Dabi is awsome! I've seen videos from it. Would love to go down there and watch someday.

Suntzu
10-06-2003, 06:07 AM
:cool:

Shaolin-Do
10-06-2003, 07:43 AM
MP, congrats. Glad to see you learned from your mistakes instead of just b!tching about losing. Id really like to start video taping myself sparring, I feel that it would make working out my kinks a lot easier.
Lloyd = MP's "Godfather"? lol. I can just imagine some fat italian guy in a black suit telling you to fight... hehehe....
;)

Water Dragon
10-06-2003, 07:55 AM
Actually, if you can picture mp in bondage cxhained to the wall, that's be a truer representation.

"Bring out the Gimp! we'sa gonna grapple 2-nite"

Shaolin-Do
10-06-2003, 08:06 AM
HOOOO Boay! IMsa gonna get to wrastle?! He sures a Purdy 'un!

Kristoffer
10-06-2003, 08:13 AM
dang diddely

Shaolin-Do
10-06-2003, 08:15 AM
Oh man.. Forgot, I heard one of the country ass mofo's I work with say this great quote the other day...
"Shes as purdy as a brick sh!thouse."
LOFL!
Great stuff....

ShaolinTiger00
10-06-2003, 09:08 AM
MP, - next time. :)

btw: I took 1st in my division and 3rd in the open division this weekend. - 3 ippons . I was just in my groove Sat, nothing could stop me except myself. lost first match of open division by 1 yuko (bah!!) and won the next 2 matches..

Preparing for the Naval academy tourney on the 25th now.. (nothing makes me happier than beating naval cadet wrestlers..)

Merryprankster
10-06-2003, 09:10 AM
I don't think you'll see the good wrestlers though. It IS season, after all.

Congrats on your wins!

FatherDog
10-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Congrats, MP. First Loser may not be the ideal, but it's still better'n a sharp stick in the eye :D

ShaolinTiger00
10-06-2003, 09:53 AM
thanks bro!

btw: go Phil!

meathats kick ass..

Shaolin-Do
10-06-2003, 10:26 AM
"meathats"
lofl. Sounds like a term for c*nt used by someone who enjoys eating p*ssy.
bahahahaha.
:eek:

Volcano Admim
10-06-2003, 07:41 PM
why do you not respect me :(

SevenStar
10-06-2003, 08:30 PM
good job mp and st

CrippledAvenger
10-06-2003, 08:31 PM
Congrats, Merry!

Kristoffer