PDA

View Full Version : Dogs

David
08-13-2001, 12:26 PM
I saw a programme on tv last night which had a segment on dealing with crazy dogs. They got a stuntman in to test different behaviours with very striking results. Thought you'd all be interested cos I know the subject comes up regularly.

The guy made no attempt to beat the dogs up or anything - he just went in there so the behaviour could be observed.

The dogs were a pair of alsatians and the guy had on full body and head protection.

1] Shouting at the dogs and waving a stick around in an agitated manner. The dogs were enraged and attacked him as fast as possible, dragging him around the ground by his arms.

2] Walking very calmly, head down to avoid eye-contact with no big or sudden movements. The dogs examined him without getting up and then relaxed and looked away. He walked right by them, turned his back and walked away.

3] Walking calmly towards the dogs and then truning and running away. The dogs were up and at him in very short order as soon as he tried to flee.

There's more to it but that's all they showed. Because the stuntman was wearing a helmet and he was scared, no attempt was made to dominate the dogs psychologically. My mother watched this programme with me and commented that she can do that eye thing army alsatians.

Well, there you go.

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

Fish of Fury
08-14-2001, 07:09 AM
interesting,thanks

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

Tigerdragon
08-14-2001, 07:23 AM
Did they mention what type, if any, training the dogs had? I ask this because I know of people who have dogs train as perimiter dogs to protect their property, be it a business or their own home. These dogs would literaly kill you if not stopped by their owner if you so much as put a foot on the property without the owner there. It sounds, by the reaction you described, that they were attack, one of the types of personal protection, or police dogs. How to handle a dog truly depends on the training, or lack of that particular dog.

Just my thoughts

Assumption is the mother of tragedy. Just keep and open mind and be ready

David
08-15-2001, 05:17 PM
Sorry TD, I don't know what they're training was.

I'll go ask my mum if she has any more info about this stuff. Never thought to ask her about anything before (except increased pocket-money and that was many years ago)...

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

IronFist
09-14-2001, 10:32 AM
My mother watched this programme with me and commented that she can do that eye thing army alsatians.

What eye thing? army alsatians?

Iron

Stranger
09-14-2001, 08:28 PM
They eye thing is often referred to as an "Alpha Stare".

I have only done this with dogs behind glass when I used to walk up to front doors on delivery runs. If you stare into the dogs eyes and NEVER look away, it will bark like crazy for a moment and then kind of sheepishly glance away and lose its aggression. I don't know if the stare works fast enough if they can get right at you.

Somebody else will have to explain its application in anti-dog combat.

They actually taught us about this when dealing with aggressive/violent students in my Educational Psychology class.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Sharky
09-15-2001, 06:27 AM
be real easy to diss your mom right there bro

YMS
09-15-2001, 04:24 PM
When i was much younger i used to do paper/panphlet runs with a friend of mine. We went all different areas and we ran into many different dogs. The "eye stare" you are referring does work on many occasions. My friend seemed like he had a connection with the dogs. He would approach barking dogs, stop and stare at them silently, with a strong gaze and the dogs would look away after a while disinterested and go about his business. I would say it worked 95% of the time. Typically we would encounter about 15-20 dogs in a day so he had plenty of practice.
I have only tried it a few times with mixed results.

RaVeR

joedoe
09-16-2001, 05:12 AM
It's all to do with who's the boss. A submissive dog will avert their eyes first, so if you avert your eyes first you are signalling submission - then they may attack you.

If you are able to start them down then they will take you as the stronger and will submit to you.

Don't know if this holds for guard dogs though as their training may change this behaviour.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

wufupaul
09-16-2001, 07:55 AM
I learned about how animals communicate when I took Animal Psychology back in college(it was a real class, I swear it, haha). We talked about the whole alpha dog thing; and how looking in the eyes is usually a sign of aggression. From my experience, I would try to avoid eye contact, staring at them will usually cause them to jump you, as they perceive it as a threat. Then again, it just depends on the situation, lots of common sense...if a dog is aggressive and barking, don't try and stare at it, it'll probably tear a chunk out.

“Brother, if you don’t mind, there is a cloud of glass coming at us, grab my hand, lets get the hell out of here.”

Stranger
09-16-2001, 07:21 PM
I've stared down some pretty mean dogs, from behind glass :o :rolleyes: :D Aren't I tough?

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

JerryLove
09-16-2001, 09:38 PM
Typically, a trained attack dog will behave as trained, and should not be subject to the influences that a simply agggressive one is.

These include
1. Staring down.
2. Use of force to submit.
3. Aggressive posturing.
4. Simple avoidance (walking past).

Don't expect a "crazy" dog (what ever that is, rabid?) to responsd to those either.