PDA

View Full Version : Shufa Calligraphy

Ka
10-05-2003, 06:14 PM
I study Chinese and Japanese language.And have been playing with Chinese Calligraphy for a while now(although being instructed by a Japanese teacher)and find that it is a really addictive form of meditation.I have started to include it in my morning routine of meditive practisces.Just basic strokes and characters I enjoy.
Anyone else practising or interested in Shufa?

bodhitree
10-07-2003, 08:34 AM
I'm learning Chinese Language. I've been practicing radicals and some simple words I know. I'm starting to recogise more and more. I do like writting the little that I can.

dwid
10-07-2003, 09:58 AM
I've been interested in it for a while. A friend of mine does some fantastic Japanese calligraphy. It's part of a long list of things to try eventually.

I'm really interested in the shakuhachi as a form of meditation. It's really hard to find someone qualified to teach it in the U.S. however. I know Zen Mountain Monastary in upstate New York offers a seminar once per year. Maybe someday I'll have the time and cash to go.

Ka
10-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the replys.
I find you even straight enjoying the smell of the ink.Plus if you turn out a good roll,you can frame and hang it.In general I think its a great meditation to dable in.

vikinggoddess
10-11-2003, 07:32 AM
Ka,

How do you do the mounting? I ruin every good painting I try to mount. I am not so good, but I love it too and painted everyday until I moved into a small house. I think I will have to start painting on the porch soon.

here is some of what I did:
http://sleekfreak:81/index3.html
http://chinesetherapeutics.org/danzhuye.html
http://chinesetherapeutics.org/caligraphy.html

Ka
10-16-2003, 09:45 PM
Sorry I go to a framer,not too expensive down under,plus I do photography so I already have some good contacts(all about the Guanxi)
Nice paintings,

Tak
10-17-2003, 01:37 PM
Aha, maybe you guys have an opinion! Traditional or simplified?

Ka
10-19-2003, 04:33 PM
Its up to you really,I find its more about each individual stroke,In my chinese study I am taught Jianti Zi but I am exposed to Fanti Zi with all the taiwanese and HK people I know.In Japanese some of the Kanji is traditional others simplified.Hard part for me is each stroke in fluid but "correct"manor.The whole letting go but still doing it right.

Sho
11-18-2003, 07:41 AM
I believe calligraphy is the manifestation of one's spirit. For me, it's very tension-relieving and calming to draw random characters that seem to connect with each other, either aesthetically or logically. What an excellent artform and hobby it is.

bodhitree
11-18-2003, 08:01 AM
I'm learning a little traditional and simplified. I focus more on simplified because I want to go to mainland China. All of my friends from Taiwan say "thats ugly" and the people from China say the opposite. Its all a matter of opinion.

Sho
11-18-2003, 08:08 AM
You can read simplified characters quite easily even if you only know the traditional ones.

Chuck Man Chuck
12-08-2003, 08:33 PM
I've been doing Chinese Calligraphy and painting for about two years now and I think it's a wonderful practice. It goes right along with my Chinese Yoga, Tai Chi Chuan, and Kung fu San Soo.

This is only my second post on these forums, so when I figure out how to work this editor maybe I'll post some, if that's possible. I f anyone knows where to find the instructions for it, please let me know, it would be appreciated.

As far as the Traditional or modern characters go, I always use the traditional for fine art calligraphy. Even in my calligraphy books the long forms are the ones that the instructions are given for; the short forms are just noted.