View Full Version : Updates

apoweyn
10-06-2003, 12:40 PM
New video.

Don't say I never give you anything.

http://www.apoweyn.net/martialarts/index.htm

fa_jing
10-06-2003, 01:13 PM
hey, wanna host my vids when Shadowboxer finishes editting them?

-Keith

apoweyn
10-06-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing
hey, wanna host my vids when Shadowboxer finishes editting them?

-Keith

Yeah, I could do that. I'd have to rotate them (which I've started doing already). Because I haven't got piles of storage space (though I may upgrade it soon).

Lemme know when you've got them finished. Dig?

fa_jing
10-06-2003, 07:08 PM
you bet

Shaolin-Do
10-06-2003, 07:10 PM
Im a bettin man.
How much?

:confused:

Shadowboxer
10-07-2003, 11:00 AM
I'm almost done. So, Apoweyn what kind of movie server do you have, that is what formats can you host? I can make .mov/.mpg/.wmv/.rm. I can make streamable movies or progressive downloads (QT). Figure this out with fa-jing and let me know. I can also make different movies for several connection speeds(56k/100k/LAN/DSL).

Cheers!

apoweyn
10-07-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Shadowboxer
I'm almost done. So, Apoweyn what kind of movie server do you have, that is what formats can you host? I can make .mov/.mpg/.wmv/.rm. I can make streamable movies or progressive downloads (QT). Figure this out with fa-jing and let me know. I can also make different movies for several connection speeds(56k/100k/LAN/DSL).

Cheers!

I'll be honest with ya, Shadowboxer. I understood "I'm almost done." And I recognized my name. After that, I started feeling scared and alone.

The videos on there now are .WMV and they seem to work okay.

:)

Stuart B.

FatherDog
10-07-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by apoweyn

I'll be honest with ya, Shadowboxer. I understood "I'm almost done." And I recognized my name. After that, I started feeling scared and alone.

.mpeg files have the best quality, and will play on any computer, but are also the largest. .wmv files compressed down a lot more but get a lot of artifacts of compression that look a bit wonky, and they sometimes play poorly on non-windows machines, depending on how they're encoded, and what type or version of player you have. .rm files are tiny, but they also look like **** and the player is troublesome to install. .mov files just suck. :D

Since space is a consideration for you, I imagine you'll want SB to stick with the .wmv files, like you have been doing.

FD, tech geek at large

apoweyn
10-07-2003, 12:35 PM
There ya have it then.

I've just been using WMV because that's what MP was giving me. I think that's the default for his digital video camera. Or something.

AP (useless sod at large)

FatherDog
10-07-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by apoweyn
I've just been using WMV because that's what MP was giving me. I think that's the default for his digital video camera. Or something.

Yeah, it's the default windows video format (hence the extension - Windows Media Player == .wmv) so most digital video cameras that are designed to be used with windows extract directly to it.

FD, large useless sod

Shadowboxer
10-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Mpeg and Quicktime are the best quality, with QT having slightly larger files sizes. I would suggest QT for several reasons:
1. Quality. Ever notice that all web movie trailers are in QT format?
2. the player is free
3. You can create progressive downloads. That is when the white bar goes across the bottom of the player before it starts to play, which means it's buffering, which means you can start to watch a high quality movie before all of it is downloaded. You just have to wait for enough of it to load (buffer) so it will play continuosly.
4. You can change the size of the movie in the QT player by pressing CRTL 0,1,2,F
5. QT will work on Windows/Mac/Linux/Unix...

Mpeg doesn't have as many options.

With Windows Media Player 9, .wmv are coming along though.

I agree with .rm description.

Apoweyn, talk with your webmaster and see what kind of movies you can host. If you are the webmaster, try putting a QT movie up as a test. PM me if you have more questions. I just got
"Quicktime for the Web" 778 pages of how to do EVERYTHING with QT. It includes lots of easy script for embedding movies in web pages.

One more thing, .avi is the default of digital camcorders. You can encode .avi to any other format. WMP 9 has an encoder that creates .wmv from .avi

apoweyn
10-08-2003, 06:38 AM
I'm open to the other suggestions. But I can't remember the last time I was able to use Quicktime without technical difficulties. That program gives me the screaming fantods.

:(