PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming movie with capoeira streetfighting

Chang Style Novice
10-08-2003, 01:12 PM
I just saw a preview for this before a screening of "Rivers and Tides" (which totally kicks ass, but is a documentary about sculptor Andrew Goldworthy, so you guys might not be interested.)

Anyway, this movie is called "Madame Sata," and seems to be about a black guy from Rio de Janiero getting all caught up in crime, showbiz, intrigue and so on. The moves he showed in the trailer looked great, and were filmed in a way you could really see 'em. I'm gonna see it as soon as I can.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/madame_sata.html

There's a link to the trailer in quicktime.

Starchaser107
10-08-2003, 04:58 PM
some elements are a bit disturbing, but nothing to discriminate against. seems like an interesting film. Id watch it just to see how this guys martial artistry is portrayed.
I sense it might be setting itself up for criticism from purists, but, with all endeavours one runs that risk.
comes with the territory.

Daredevil
10-08-2003, 04:59 PM
Seen it and well ...

If it's martial arts you want to see, you'll be disappointed.

However, I personally like Brazilian culture and for that reason enjoyed having a look at the movie. I'd recommend City of God as a **** good Brazilian movie too, while we are at it.

Xebsball
10-08-2003, 05:01 PM
Madame Satã is not exactly a capoeira movie, supposed to be awesome though, i havent seen it. Its ment to be one of the good new brazilian movies.
If they are marketing as a MA movie, they are crazy u know.

My favourite brazilian movie is Cidade de Deus (City of God) its oh so awesome. O Homem que Copiava (with same actor of Madame Satã) is kick ass too.

Starchaser107
10-08-2003, 05:26 PM
well after such good recommendations on these films they are definately worth checking out.
the only question now is..how.

Chang Style Novice
10-08-2003, 08:05 PM
No, it's definitely not being marketed as a capoiera movie. I saw the preview at the artsiest cinema in town, and as you can tell from the trailer I linked to, the class war/crossdressing/bisexual stuff is emphasized pretty heavily. Still, the hero seems to have some moves, and it looks like it has a lot of potential for excellent drama. I figure it'll show on the same screens that show "American Splendor" not the ones that show "Blade II."