PDA

View Full Version : Eating for Arsekicking (Recipe Exchange)

CrippledAvenger
10-08-2003, 06:39 PM
After all this talk about flan, I figure that a recipe exchange might be in order. I know I need to start shedding a few pounds before March 4th, so any eating tips/recipes would be greatly appreciated.

I'll post a recipe shortly (after I get to eating, that is)

Merryprankster
10-08-2003, 06:46 PM
Cut your refined carb intake. More fruits and veggies, less rice, pasta and bread. Dessert is RIGHT OUT.

Drink at least gallon of water a day. You will lose weight because your body won't "hoard" water.

Eat less and exercise more.

Have some fat and protein with every meal. This will slow digestion and reduce cravings to eat.

Don't eat before going to bed.

Weigh yourself every morning after your ****. You need to know how much water weight you lose overnight. This will be a factor w/regards to the last few pounds. I lose 4-5 pounds overnight.

I've been cutting weight for years and this works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Water Dragon
10-08-2003, 06:48 PM
Can't I just eat whatever the heck I want and wear the rubber suit before weigh in?

Crip, Ya like Mole? Espy says she's gonna make you some mole.

BAI HE
10-08-2003, 06:52 PM
That was great advice.

Also according to SC instructor John Wang, do not sweat for three days before the match and keep a piece of lemon peel in your mouth before the match if you are feeling antsy or nervous.

If you feel a little weak close to the match, have a bag of peanut M&M's for energy. 48 on the glycemic scale with fat and protien to slow the intake of carb sugar to avoid any insulin spike.

No fruit drinks or gatorade until the show is over. All water, "room temp" leading up to.

BAI HE
10-08-2003, 06:54 PM
Crippled,
You train with H20 and the SC boys. Didn't realize I was preachin'
to the choir ya feck

CrippledAvenger
10-08-2003, 07:26 PM
MP-- Thanks for the advice. It's good to hear it from somebody who walks the walk, ya know. ;)

WD- I love mole, and you know I love your wife's cooking. :D

Bai-He-- :cool: :D

Pesto Chicken

Ingredients:

Pesto--
approx. 1/2 cup chopped FRESH basil (never use dried)
2 tablespoons pine nuts
4 tablespoons grated Parmesean cheese (if out of parmesean, use romano)
4 large garlic cloves
1 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste

4 boneless chicken breasts, trimmed.

combine ingredients (minus the chicken) in a blender until smooth.

add a dash of olive oil to a skillet and cook the chicken breasts until firm, and white all through. Drain the oil, then, in a serving dish mix the chicken and the sauce. Serves 2-3.

Serpent
10-08-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by BAI HE
Also according to SC instructor John Wang, do not sweat for three days before the match and keep a piece of lemon peel in your mouth before the match if you are feeling antsy or nervous.

Why?

Shaolin-Do
10-08-2003, 10:14 PM
I gots lots of good recipes, I just dont really know how healthy any of them are.
:)

Watahhh
10-08-2003, 11:42 PM
anything with 1 cup of oil doesn't sound all that healthy to me

Vapour
10-08-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
Cut your refined carb intake. More fruits and veggies, less rice, pasta and bread. Dessert is RIGHT OUT.

Drink at least gallon of water a day. You will lose weight because your body won't "hoard" water.

Eat less and exercise more.

Have some fat and protein with every meal. This will slow digestion and reduce cravings to eat.

Don't eat before going to bed.

Weigh yourself every morning after your ****. You need to know how much water weight you lose overnight. This will be a factor w/regards to the last few pounds. I lose 4-5 pounds overnight.

I've been cutting weight for years and this works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks.

Serpent
10-08-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Watahhh
anything with 1 cup of oil doesn't sound all that healthy to me

Common misconception. It says Olive oil, which is actually good for you so long as you don't fry the crap out of it. It's not a saturated fat, like animal oils, so therefore not bad.

Shaolin-Do
10-09-2003, 12:25 AM
I eat fried lard with pure butter center.
:eek:

Merryprankster
10-09-2003, 02:44 AM
don't sweat for three days before the match

huh? This sounds like one of those bits of "lore" passed down. Boxing and wrestling are full of 'em, so I'm not trying to knock it, just wondering if there is any real basis for it.

I believe the lemon thing. I mean, why not? Many aromas and tastes are shown to reduce stress levels.

I disagree with the idea that you shouldn't drink gatorade, or something similar before the matches. One of the down shots of caloric restriction the day before, if you are close to weight and need to be careful, is depleted carbohydrate reserves/low blood sugar. I see nothing wrong with a stiff dose of sugar and electrolytes several hours prior to the matches. I will agree that if you don't have to time to digest it, you're going to feel bloated and under hydrated. However, a little extra sugar will increase hydration provided you have time to process it.

I also agree that lots of room temperature water is best for hydration overall--you really shouldn't rely on gatorade or similar drinks for rehydration.

FWIW, candy of any sort before a match makes me ill. I do better with real food. I recommend something low acid though.

Crippled--also, cut out soda, fruit juices and sports drinks. Calories that you don't think about, but there's a lot in there.

Finally, that recipe isn't bad, really. Limit yourself to one chicken breast and add a HUGE side salad. Make your dressings yourself so you know what's in them. Balsamic and a little olive oil go a long way, as do oregano, lemon juice and olive oil, or white vinegar, a little mustard and olive oil. Use much much less than you think you need.

*spoiler alert*

The below may limit your interest in this thread but for those times when you need to limit your calorie intake, but just HAVE to eat... plus ummm....clean yourself out, try this:

1 lbs of fresh spinach (I prefer baby. I'm a snot, so sue me.)
2 T of minced garlic
8-12 hot green peppers. I like thai bird, jalapeno or serrano.

Heat a large pot (or wok) over high heat. Add about one tablespoon of oil in the bottom and around one-half teaspoon of salt and the garlic and peppers. Saute and keep from burning. Just as the garlic starts to slightly brown, add the spinach. Stir a bit to coat (I use tongs). Pull off the heat just as it starts to wilt. Cover and allow to sit for a few minutes. You should have a not overcooked spinach dish.

I'll post a great beef with fermented black beans recipe (or pork or chicken) as well as a chicken with chili and cucumber and a "Manchurian" chicken recipe (I call it that because I recreated the recipe at home after having it at a restaurant and that's what they called it) later.

Xebsball
10-09-2003, 04:23 AM
I would look for a specialized nutricionist dude or specialized doctor dude instead of MP's advice :D :D

Water Dragon
10-09-2003, 07:32 AM

huh? This sounds like one of those bits of "lore" passed down. Boxing and wrestling are full of 'em, so I'm not trying to knock it, just wondering if there is any real basis for it.

I have heard that you're supposed to take it easy for the last couple of days before a fight. Maybe it's a variation on that theme?

Water Dragon
10-09-2003, 07:34 AM
here's my contribution:

www.recipesource.com

MasterKiller
10-09-2003, 07:40 AM
Drink at least gallon of water a day. You will lose weight because your body won't "hoard" water. MP, a few years ago, I lost about 50-lbs in 4 months by cutting sodas completely out and drinking 1 gallon of water a day.

However, I noticed something funny the last 2 months. I've been drinking at least 1 gallon of water a day for about 3 1/2 years. Recently, I've cut back to 1/2 gallon a day, and I dropped 7 lbs in almost 7 days. My workout and diet has been consistent, so they only thing I can attribute the weight loss to is cutting out the water.

Is it possible that I was carrying a lot of extra water-weight, even though I was pizzing most of it out all day long?

CrippledAvenger
10-09-2003, 08:03 AM
MP-- I cook for my roommates, so I forgot to scale that recipe down to a single serving. Divide the proportions by 3, and it should be better.

Also, a question-- is there a a way to drop weight without losing too much muscle? I know you're going to lose some when you lose weight, but I'd like to keep that to a minimum.

Merryprankster
10-09-2003, 08:13 AM
Ensuring you get enough protein is the best way to spare muscle.

Is it possible that I was carrying a lot of extra water-weight, even though I was pizzing most of it out all day long?

This is exactly it. Your body gets used to that level of hydration and feels "free to pee" so to speak. It lets the water go more easily through respiration, elimination, etc. When you cut back, you were still eliminating water as though it was 1-gallon worth. so you lost weight.

Black Jack
10-09-2003, 10:13 AM
I am not a iron chief but I do work in the nutritional industry and if you are worried about losing muscle with your diet you can use supplemental nutrients to back up the protein in your diet like a free-from amino acid complex which supplies protein for repair and rebuilding of body tissues. In specific L-Arginine would be a good solo amino acid to take as well. Creatine may also provide benefits to stop muscle wasting.

If you are looking to slow down and suppress hunger cravings L-Tyrosine is a amino acid which has these qualities.

Sometimes if you are looking to lose weight a bulk cleanse product (not a laxative) full of fiber and detoxifing herbs is good to look into.

Go to Sherwyns in the city for products. They know there stuff.

Cheers

fa_jing
10-09-2003, 10:20 AM

How do you know you won't be constipated the day of the match?

(sorry)

:p

Merryprankster
10-09-2003, 11:56 AM
actually, it's p i s s.

Shaolin-Do
10-09-2003, 12:02 PM
"cut out soda,"
Works great. I feel hella better since I cut out sodas 4 weeks ago.

Fruit juices? Why?
<- Im gaining weight, not losing it.

I love fruit juices. (Dole, juicy juice, minute maid.... ect...)

Merryprankster
10-09-2003, 12:09 PM
It's hidden sugar. People don't think about it, but it's calories. And calories count, especially since most people are drinking it because they are thirsty, not hungry.

Water instead.

Shaolin-Do
10-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Fruit juices = Ok if you are gaining weight?
I love my juice. :)

I drink lots tea as well. (green tea)
Eat lots of lean protein. Eat lots of carbohydrates.

Merryprankster
10-09-2003, 12:13 PM
Hell, if you want to gain weight, eat everything in sight! :D

Yeah--don't need to worry about it gaining weight.

Shaolin-Do
10-09-2003, 12:45 PM
"Yeah--don't need to worry about it gaining weight."

Thats what I like to hear!
Mmmm..... Flan...
;)

I try to eat as much as possible. Since I started the whey, Ive actually been making gains of ~1lb a day. (after weight fluxuations)

fa_jing
10-09-2003, 02:04 PM
Since I've went on the whey I've noticed a weight gain, but it's levelled off. Also, I recently gained 10 pounds in two days (!). Actually most of that was due to fluctuation - the first weigh was right after a long day of working out/training, while the second weigh was 3 hefty dinners later....

tnwingtsun
10-09-2003, 04:52 PM

The below may limit your interest in this thread but for those times when you need to limit your calorie intake, but just HAVE to eat... plus ummm....clean yourself out, try this:

1 lbs of fresh spinach (I prefer baby. I'm a snot, so sue me.)
2 T of minced garlic
8-12 hot green peppers. I like thai bird, jalapeno or serrano.

Heat a large pot (or wok) over high heat. Add about one tablespoon of oil in the bottom and around one-half teaspoon of salt and the garlic and peppers. Saute and keep from burning. Just as the garlic starts to slightly brown, add the spinach. Stir a bit to coat (I use tongs). Pull off the heat just as it starts to wilt. Cover and allow to sit for a few minutes. You should have a not overcooked spinach dish.

Too the above......

Add equal parts of Sesame seed oil,Soy Sauce and sugar/vinegar,serve hot or chill

Watahhh
10-09-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Serpent

Common misconception. It says Olive oil, which is actually good for you so long as you don't fry the crap out of it. It's not a saturated fat, like animal oils, so therefore not bad.

Olive oil is around 92% total fat and 11% saturated fat. 1 cup of oil is around 250 grams, or around 27g of saturated fat and 220g total fat. That's a lot of both considering lean beaf is only around 5% total fat and probably around 2.5% saturated.

Olive oil is good, but I don't like soaking my foods in it. I use about a table spoon for stirfrys.

tnwingtsun
10-09-2003, 05:26 PM
There is a right and a wrong way to fry foods,frying has got a bad rap from people using the wrong methods when frying.

The best way to cook a Turkey is to deep fry and steamed french fries taste yukie.

David Jamieson
10-09-2003, 05:50 PM
CHili
1 can of tomato puree
1/2 cup spring water
1/2 lb. ground beef or turkey
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup. chopped green pepper
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Prepare the puree and water by heating and stirring to mix the water and puree and set aside for the moment.

Using a teflon pan on medium heat, brown the meat then add the onions and let simmer until the onions are half clarified then add the peppers and the remaining spices. Add this to the purre and water mixture and stir it in.

Simmer it for 20 minutes while stirring at a low-medium heat, add salt and pepper to taste and there ya go. Pretty healthy, no oil, tastes good.

cheers

tnwingtsun
10-09-2003, 06:26 PM
KL,I'll have to try that one,do you ever add beans to your chili?

Xebsball
10-10-2003, 06:07 AM
Well, you can join the XEBBY DROPA POUD SHOW
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25915

Merryprankster
10-10-2003, 07:30 AM
Chicken with Chili and Cucumber.

One large cucumber, peeled seeded and diced.
One large Chicken breast diced.
1 tsp chili and garlic paste.
1/2 crushed small garlic clove minced fine.
3 1/4 inch slices ginger, smashed.
2 tsp light chinese soy
1 tsp chinese rice wine, OR, since it's a pain to get unsalted, 1 tsp dry sherry or gin
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp Peanut oil

2 T chicken stock mixed with about a 1/4 tsp of cornstarch or arrowroot starch.

Combine chicken breast, light soy and booze of choice. Set aside for 15 minutes

Heat a wok over very high heat. Just as it starts to smoke add 3 tsp peanut oil, the ginger and the garlic. Stir fry for 5 seconds and add the chicken. When chicken turns white and is not quite done, add the cucumber and all remaining ingredients EXCEPT the sesame oil. Bring to a strong simmer or starch will not properly thicken the dish. When chicken is done and cucumber is still crunchy but obviously warmed/hot through, pull off heat. Add sesame oil and combine thoroughly. This is CLEARLY cantonese.

Suggest correcting seasoning here. I like a little more salt, usually and a swift light grind of black pepper.

Serve with steamed rice. Or not. Whatever.

Shaolin-Do
10-10-2003, 07:34 AM
I think a couple of the flan recipes I just posted are low fat.
:rolleyes:

tnwingtsun
10-10-2003, 09:17 AM
Frogmore Stew(Beuford Stew/Low Country Boil)

1-2 lbs. Shrimp(in shell)
1-2 packs Hillshire Farms Kilbasa sausage(or smoked or hot)
8-16 Ear of Corn on the cob
Old Bay seasoning
3 lemon/limes
Butter,lots
1 Beer
1/3 cup of vinegar
French bread or Baggets
Lots more beer for drinking

Guzzel one beer,tell wife to bake cookies.
In a big ole pot fill 3/4 way wit water.
Bring to a boil,chop up kilbasa in bite size chunks,put in water
and boil for 15 minutes,cut one lemon/lime down da middle,squeeze into boil,drop what left in yo hand into boil.
Guzzel another beer.

Guzzel another beer
Burp.
Slap wife on duh arse.
Put Corn on the cob in the boil,put one ear in your shorts and point this out to your wife as you burp again.
Pour a large amount of Old Bay into the boil.
Guzzel another beer

Have wife fix duh bread up with garlic butter.
Guzzel another beer.

When the corn is done,pour a beer into the boil,pour vinegar into boil(this makes it easy to peel the shrimp).
Add more old bay and dump the shrimp into boil,stir,when the boil
comes back to a boil look at your watch fo one minute while you guzzel another beer,after a minute has gone by take the boil off da heat,turn off da heat so you don't haft tah feed duh fire department.

Drain duh boil of all water,put duh food back into the pot,cut up lots of butter and throw in da pot,pour lots more of old bay into the pot,squeeze two lemons or limes into the pot,put a lid on it and shake good.

Spread newspaper on the table,take the lid off duh pot and pour
the Frogmore Stew on the newspaper.

Serve with french bread/baggets,c o c ktail sauce,melted butter and lots mo beer.
Enjoy

Note,some people from Texas have a brain storm and add tatters
to their boil,this makes the shell on the shrimp slimey and hard tah peel,if ya got to have tatters boil them in a different pot and pour the stew over the tatters.

FatherDog
10-10-2003, 11:16 AM
Does anyone else think that 'Recipe for Arsekicking' sounds like a prequel album to 'Appetite for Destruction'?

David Jamieson
10-10-2003, 04:22 PM
tn- you could put beans in, but the above without the legumes is much leaner.

cheers

FatherDog
10-10-2003, 09:43 PM
Make your dressings yourself so you know what's in them. Balsamic and a little olive oil go a long way, as do oregano, lemon juice and olive oil, or white vinegar, a little mustard and olive oil. Use much much less than you think you need.

Could you give some idea of proportions for these? (particularly the one including oregano). I've been trying to find a dressing that's actually palatable to me, with very little luck so far.

tnwingtsun
10-11-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by FatherDog

Could you give some idea of proportions for these? (particularly the one including oregano). I've been trying to find a dressing that's actually palatable to me, with very little luck so far.

Try this,

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, cracked
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
Fresh ground Salt and pepper

You might want to go easy on the vinegar to start with to suit your taste,also you may want to add a little dijon mustard

If you're using fresh oregano be careful,it can be strong and over power the other flavors.

Keung Lek,I tested your recipe today,it turned out great,the kids tore it up! :)

tnwingtsun
10-11-2003, 05:11 PM
4 Cornish game hens (14 ounces
-each)
4 Garlic cloves
2 Shallots, or 3 green onions,
-white part only
1 1/2 tb Sugar
1/2 ts Salt
1/4 ts Black pepper
1/2 ts Five spice powder
1 1/2 tb Vietnamese fish sauce
-(nouc mam)
1 1/2 tb Light soy sauce
1 1/2 tb Dry sherry

This aromatic barbecued game hen can be easily served West- ern style
with rice, cole slaw or a green salad. [But it would be better with
Thai cucumber salad or Vietnamese carrot salad.

Halve the hens through the breast. Flatten with the palm of your hand.

In a mortar or food processor, pound or mince garlic, shallots and
sugar. Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour mixture
over hens; marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight in refrigerator.

Set hens, skin-side down, on grill and barbecue over medium coals for
15 minutes. Turn and barbecue 15 minutes longer or until they are
thoroughly cooked. Serve with Nuoc Cham dipping sauce.

Nuoc Cham

1 Garlic clove minced
1/4 ts Pepper flakes red, crushed(fresh is better)
2 tb Fish sauce
2 ts Sugar
1 ts Lime peel minced
2 ts Lime juice
3 tb Water

Increase the amount of red pepper flakes to suit taste. Combine garlic, lime peel, and red pepper
flakes; then add lime juice, fish sauce, water, and sugar. Whisk until all ingredients are blended and
sugar is dissolved.

Makes about 1/3 cup.

Merryprankster
10-12-2003, 09:08 PM
Fatherdog,

The "Standard" dressing is 4 parts oil to one part acid. Adjust as suits your taste.

The oregano/lemon/olive oil one is clearly greek influenced. Use less oregano than you'd think--maybe 3/4 tsp for 1/4 cup lemon juice.

Incidentally, I prefer my greek type dressings a little thinner, so less oil.