PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa Tai Chi

saifa5k
10-08-2003, 08:30 PM
Tai Chi in Tulsa,

Fixing to move to Tulsa, does anyone know of any Tai Chi or other internal schools there?
Dave C

TRAVIS WHITMAN
10-09-2003, 10:48 AM
Look up Mr. Ray Hildreth, he is known for hung gar, but if he doesn't teach tai chi it's a sure bet he can point out someone who does.

Chris_McKinley
10-09-2003, 10:47 PM
Hi Dave,

I'm not in Tulsa, but if you can ever make it a few miles down the road to the Oklahoma City area, I live in Norman and teach Baguazhang in Moore, both just south of OKC. I've also been practicing Taijiquan for 20 years, though I don't teach it specifically. If you're ever in town, drop me a line and I'd be glad to meet you and see if there's anything I can do to help.

Gary Romel is also in the OKC area and teaches a Taiji class at the Tinker AFB if that might work for you, too. What specifically are your objectives in wanting to train in a neijia art?

saifa5k
10-10-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by TRAVIS WHITMAN
Look up Mr. Ray Hildreth, he is known for hung gar, but if he doesn't teach tai chi it's a sure bet he can point out someone who does.

Hello Travis,
Do you have his contact info? Does he have a public school or just offer private lessons? I would also be interested in Hung Gar.
Dave

saifa5k
10-10-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Chris_McKinley
Hi Dave,

I'm not in Tulsa, but if you can ever make it a few miles down the road to the Oklahoma City area, I live in Norman and teach Baguazhang in Moore, both just south of OKC. I've also been practicing Taijiquan for 20 years, though I don't teach it specifically. If you're ever in town, drop me a line and I'd be glad to meet you and see if there's anything I can do to help.

Gary Romel is also in the OKC area and teaches a Taiji class at the Tinker AFB if that might work for you, too. What specifically are your objectives in wanting to train in a neijia art?

Hi Chris,
Thanks, if I ever get that way I will give you a call.
Dave

TRAVIS WHITMAN
10-14-2003, 01:33 PM
I talked to Mr. Hildreth last weekend and he said he does teach tai chi. I don't have his contact info, I suggest you try the yellow pages for his public school. Possibly an internet search may turn up something.

He's such a nice guy that I'll go ahead and help him publicize his new book about vietnam. It should be out soon and I have heard good things about it.

gazza99
10-15-2003, 01:00 PM
Hello,
This is Gary from OKC, as Chris said I teach Taijiquan, my focus is on its application for street combat. You probably wont want to come for regular lessons, but if your ever in town drop me a line, Chris, myself, and a few other artists routinley get together for backyard training sessions. My contact info can be found on my website. www.pressurepointfighting.com

I have been to Ray's school, I dropped by when I was in Tulsa one time. He was a very nice man, and the Hung gar was good. He also teaches taiji, but I didnt see any of it. Bok sam kong was out for a seminar at the time and they were working hung gar.

regards,

Gary R.

saifa5k
10-15-2003, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gazza99
[I have been to Ray's school, I dropped by when I was in Tulsa one time. He was a very nice man, and the Hung gar was good. He also teaches taiji, but I didnt see any of it. Bok sam kong was out for a seminar at the time and they were working hung gar.

Gary,
I am going to Tulsa tomorrow to find a place to live. Can you tell me how to find Rays school? Is he listed in the phone book? In my experience a lot of the better schools are not in the yellow pages. Do you recall the street addy of the school?
Dave

Chris_McKinley
10-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Dave,

Depending on what you're interested in, you could also set up the occasional private lesson with me or with Gary or both to give you something to work on till you find a regular class to attend or as additional training. Just another option. :)

saifa5k
10-16-2003, 05:27 AM
HI Chris,
That would be fine. How can I find Gary in Tulsa?
Dave

Originally posted by Chris_McKinley
Dave,

Depending on what you're interested in, you could also set up the occasional private lesson with me or with Gary or both to give you something to work on till you find a regular class to attend or as additional training. Just another option. :)

Chris_McKinley
10-16-2003, 09:03 AM
You can't. Gary lives in Midwest City and teaches at Tinker AFB.

saifa5k
10-17-2003, 05:25 AM
I meant Ray, the Hung Gar teacher.
Dave

Chris_McKinley
10-18-2003, 07:06 AM
Dave,

I'm gonna see Gary today and I'll let him know you'd like the address. BTW, next Saturday the 25th, Gary and I are giving an internal arts demonstration at Frontier City in OKC at 9 a.m. as part of a Karate tournament. If you're interested in coming to watch, it might be a good opportunity to see what we're about or maybe just meet some friends in the martial arts.

wujimon
10-19-2003, 04:33 PM
Be sure to check out the list on the following site:

http://www.scheele.org/lee/tcclinks.html

just do a search for your state abbreviation and I'm sure you'll find some leads.

good luck.
w.

MasterKiller
10-20-2003, 08:36 AM
Minghan Luo teaches in Tulsa. He shares space with McCollister's Martial Arts.

He is former member/coach of the Hubei Professional team, and was chief instructor of self-defense for the Botswana Police Dept. in South Africa.

You might check with him to see if he has an internal program available.

hunyuan13
10-20-2003, 07:52 PM
Hi,

Look up Rick Thomas in Tulsa. He does Chen style Taiji, Hunyuantaiji and Wu/Hao style Taiji as well as some Shaolin kungfu. His website is www.thomasacademy.com . The rest of his contact info is on the webpage.

Chris_McKinley
10-20-2003, 10:43 PM
hunyuan13,

I noticed your location as Bentonville, AR. I make visits to Rogers on a semi-regular basis and was curious if there might be other martial artists in the area. What style(s) do you study, if you don't mind my asking?

hunyuan13
10-21-2003, 05:48 AM
Hi,

I practice and teach Chen Style Taijiquan as well as Hunyuan Taiji and Qigong. I've also studied Baji, Pigua, Tanglang and Yin Bagua, but I'm not authorized to teach these.

I share space with a Shuri Ryu Karate school and a non-Brazilian Jujutsu instructor.

In addition to the normal distribution of TKD schools, etc. in the area. There is a Wu Style Taiji instructor in Rogers, a CMC instructor in Fayetteville and a Yang Style instructor in Siloam Springs who also teaches Tibetan White Crane.

There's a few more in the area, but this should give you an idea of the CMA.

Richard Johnson

Chris_McKinley
10-21-2003, 07:03 AM
Thanks.

saifa5k
10-29-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Minghan Luo teaches in Tulsa. He shares space with McCollister's Martial Arts.

He is former member/coach of the Hubei Professional team, and was chief instructor of self-defense for the Botswana Police Dept. in South Africa.

You might check with him to see if he has an internal program available.

**Thanks, will do.
Dave

saifa5k
10-29-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by hunyuan13
Hi,

Look up Rick Thomas in Tulsa. He does Chen style Taiji, Hunyuantaiji and Wu/Hao style Taiji as well as some Shaolin kungfu. His website is www.thomasacademy.com . The rest of his contact info is on the webpage.

**Great, will do so. Chen style is actually what I am most interested in.
Dave