PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Philbert

Serpent
10-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Sup?

You gonna abuse your moderator status now? Is that what you meant by the punk comment? Come, come now. Surely you're bigger than that.

Tell you what, I'll even make this on topic.

It's my opinion that the whole concept of internal and external is fallacious. There's no such thing. The hard cannot exist without the soft and the soft cannot exist without the hard. If you are learning a system with strong external power and no consideration for internal energy and breath, then you are doing nothing more than clubbing like a caveman. If you are learning a sytem that emphasises the breath and the energy and everything is always soft without the hard and powerful side being considered, then you are learning a folk dance not a martial art.

Comments?

PHILBERT
10-09-2003, 07:04 AM
Well, then, you do somewhat have a point about the Internal/External thing, however, do boxers stand there and learn deep meditative breathing exercises? Not really. I am sure they learn breathing exercises, but nothing to the extent of say a Taiji or Bagua practioner. Back in my old Tae Kwon Do days, my teacher never taught us breathing exercises either, we just learned fancy looking kicks and breaking boards.

...then you are doing nothing more than clubbing like a caveman.

And I didn't know that cave men went clubbing back then. I wonder if they had any good techno clubs. I bet they had some great old skool raves.

Serpent
10-09-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by PHILBERT
Well, then, you do somewhat have a point about the Internal/External thing, however, do boxers stand there and learn deep meditative breathing exercises? Not really. I am sure they learn breathing exercises, but nothing to the extent of say a Taiji or Bagua practioner.

No, but they sure learn how to breathe and focus their energies, whether they are consciously aware of the depths of their methods or not. The emphasis on these things may vary but I maintain that a complete martial art will develop both these things without making the distinction.

And cavemen were the original E-Casualties. Why do you think **** Erectus took control? Man, all the Neanderthals were hopped up and lovin' it and didn't notice they were getting taken over.

Geez, learn your history, dude.

PHILBERT
10-10-2003, 09:14 AM
Well then that is the whole concept about Yin and Yang. Can't have one without the other. You can't practice an external art without learning some breathing exercises, just like you can't practice an internal art without learning to fight. If you do, you are just using brute strength or doing a "folk dance" as you said.

Though you never did talk about my TKD days of when I never learned any breathing exercises, just how to do fancy kicks and board breaking.

Serpent
10-12-2003, 11:44 PM
That's that then, I suppose.

*wanders aimlessly back to the main forum*