PDA

View Full Version : grab and grasp?

LiLmantisGiRL
10-09-2003, 04:02 PM
One day my sifu asked our class to explain the difference between a "grab" and a "grasp". No one knew the answer, so now we have to find out what the differences are. If anyone could please help me better understand the differences, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Simui

MantisifuFW
10-09-2003, 06:54 PM
Simui,

I too would be interested in the distinction being made. Could you tell me the lineage of Tanglang you practice. Perhaps that would help with the distinctions in terminology that your shifu makes.

Welcome to the list,

Steve Cottrell

Oso
10-09-2003, 07:59 PM
ok, just for kicks and giggles, I'll play

grab=fingers wrapping around whatever you are 'grabbing'

grasp=not fingers as individual units but fingers as a 'flap' of fingers that cling/stick.

the distinction being that 'grasping' allow for quicker changes to other 'grasps' or 'grabs' or striking whereas 'grabbing' commits you a bit deeper into the connection between you and your partner/opponent.

either could/would be appropriate depending upon the following technique/application.

LiLmantisGiRL
10-09-2003, 08:25 PM
MantisifuFW,

I study Northern 7* Praying Mantis.

Oso,

Thank you for your reply.

[I like your bear icon].

Anyone else have an opinion, please?

Thank you again,

Simui

MantisifuFW
10-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Simui,

I too am Northern Mantis but am afraid that I do not know the differences your teacher makes. I am unfamilar with the terms used by your teacher. I look forward to him making it clear to you so that others, (namely me) can benifit from this perspective.

Oso, I admire your categories in this regard!

Sorry I could not be of more help.
Steve Cottrell

bung bo
10-10-2003, 08:12 PM
the signature mantis "grab" is a 1-1-3 type of grab. when you're grabbing with your right hand, your thumb is around the left side of their wrist (or ankle or whatever), your index finger on the top, and the other three fingers around the right side. that was just what i was taught. hope this helps

Life long Student
10-11-2003, 03:53 PM
Maybe it is more of the intent for example the word grasp might mean to control with sensitivity not so much as an over powering clamp. You grab his shirt or am and squeeze and hold on, you grasp to control and feel where the opponent is moving. Don't know just popped in to my head.

Oso
10-11-2003, 04:10 PM
LLS, that is where my mind is on it as well.

Life long Student
10-11-2003, 04:15 PM
Who speaks Chinese, is there a difference in characters?

Merryprankster
10-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Gotta go with Oso on this one. Not an NPM guy, but in all the grappling arts I've been exposed to, you 90% of the time, you don't "grab" in the index finger touches the thumb kinda way. You make your hands like meathooks and go from there.

It's not just a sensitivity issue, it's a control issue. Almost always, an opponent will attempt to back out of a controlling grip. The thumb and forefinger grip creates a weak spot that can be used to escape. Reach out and grab your partners upper arm from the front using a thumb and forefinger grip. There's a great big gap there you can just pull your arm out of, or rotate towards the thumb to lever it out. Now, make it like a meathook and use that hook to "grab" the arm. Not only can you follow it easier, but the only obvious-to-the-inexperienced escape route leaves them wide open to attack. As a bonus, they can't simply back out.

ursa major
10-13-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by bung bo
the signature mantis "grab" is a 1-1-3 type of grab. when you're grabbing with your right hand, your thumb is around the left side of their wrist (or ankle or whatever), your index finger on the top, and the other three fingers around the right side. that was just what i was taught. hope this helps

Interesting. If I understand correctly this sounds exactly like the Hung-Gar q'sow hand which is used extensively in that system for grabbing and securing.

A grab is a grab is a grab. It seems to me the only real difference is if you are using the thumb ? Using the thumb increases control but leaves you open to a plethora of counters which, by the way, is why I prefer the mantis hook over the HG q'sow.

For what it is worth I prefer the PM method (no thumb) for intercept and grab (with thumb) for control, eg: ou-lou-choi. Anyway...

From www.dictionary.com:

Grab = To take or grasp suddenly, (example: grabbed the letter from me). To capture or restrain, arrest.

Grasp = To take hold of or seize firmly with or as if with the hand.
To clasp firmly with or as if with the hand.

LiLmantisGiRL it seems there is a difference after all.

Best regards,
UM.

LiLmantisGiRL
10-16-2003, 10:13 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses to my inquiry. You helped me 'grasp' the idea (pun intended... hehe). My Sifu defined for us, the physical and technical differences of the application of these two hand techniques and went on to explain two methods of "sticking", as a primer for our next lesson. Can anyone please help me get a jump start for our next lesson by defining "latch" and "clasp"?

Thanks in advance (again) for your help!

Simui

ursa major
10-17-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by LiLmantisGiRL
Thank you everyone for your responses to my inquiry. You helped me 'grasp' the idea (pun intended... hehe). My Sifu defined for us, the physical and technical differences of the application of these two hand techniques and went on to explain two methods of "sticking", as a primer for our next lesson. Can anyone please help me get a jump start for our next lesson by defining "latch" and "clasp"?
Thanks in advance (again) for your help!
Simui

Hahaha... not until you tell us all about 'grab & grasp' !!!

Regards,
UM.