PDA

View Full Version : The Reading Thread

ZIM
10-09-2003, 07:31 PM
OK So I had an idea for a thread that I'm not sure where to put, nor even if it's a good idea, so here it is...

I found this site (http://www.blackmask.com/page.php?do=page) that has a good number of the Chinese Classics that many talk about blithely... you know, stuff like the Art of War, Tao Te Ching, Buddhist stuff, Book of Five Rings, Confucius, yatta yatta...

Everything there is free for downloads using Acrobat, so maybe we could do a discussion group sort of thing using the same translations, so we can ask "Yo, WTF is going on on page 27?" and we'll know what to look at.

And we can find others too, that'd be cool- I'd like to see Yellow Emperor's Classic, myself...And Western works like Get Tough or Kill Or Be Killed would also be cool.

SO:
-Anybody interested? I never read all of them in-depth or with a knowledgable group for a resource. Others who have would be a great benefit for ideas and corrections.

-Is this a good slot for it, Design Sifu? Should it go elsewhere? Its really possible for this to become one monster of a thread- and it might be hard to mod. I really don't think a seperate thread for each book would work...

-How to do it?? Everybody read whatever, or everybody try to read the same thing? If the second, it might be really cool 'cuz we can do direct discussion points.

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-09-2003, 07:51 PM
Thanks, for the link.

FWIW, "Book of 5 rings" is a Japanese classic not Chinese. ;)

ZIM
10-09-2003, 08:49 PM
Yes, I knew that! D'oh! But it is another one of those books...

Christopher M
10-09-2003, 08:56 PM
I think something like bi-weekly reading "assignments" which we can discuss would be a great idea, particularly if we could get someone with a background in chinese literature to be a discussion group leader. I'd look forward to seeing the different views, if enough people were interested.

Tak
10-09-2003, 09:16 PM
I think the first title should be, "Curious George goes to the Park." No, seriously, I think it's a good idea.

ZIM
10-10-2003, 07:58 AM
ttt then

This might also go to FC's forums, of course- which would be fun, I bet.

Any votes for a first read?

chen zhen
10-11-2003, 09:56 AM
u can also make a reading thread at ORA if u want.
but ok, it is a "media" of some sort..;)

btw im reading Machiavelli at the moment. that is something that can relate to the oriental classics also.

ZIM
10-11-2003, 04:10 PM
Ahhhh, 's'alright...

...doesn't look like there's an awful lot of interest in this, which is kind of too bad. I mean, many complain that there's not a lot of substantive info/debate on boards and it looked like a good opportunity. :( Maybe location [or discussion leader?] is the key, though, I don't know.

I decided to go with something else (http://www.nanowrimo.org/index.php) for awhile. :)

cho
10-11-2003, 07:21 PM
it's a good idea, but i don't think it would work well on a forum/BB type. maybe a set time on a chat room or AIM.

jun_erh
10-15-2003, 11:05 AM
the yellow emporer's classic will be rather inaccesible to those not scientificly inclined.