View Full Version : Afghan battle history

Watchman
09-19-2001, 10:14 AM
Pulled this off the OG:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subject:
Date: 20-Sep-01 | 02:40 AM

Here is some gouge I got from a freind.

Very little written in the past 20 years about Afghanistan is useful. We face a mountain of rumour, half-truth, someone-said, and so forth.That said...

1. The Nazis never tried to get into Afghanistan.

2. The Taliban "government" bears more resemblance to the Leeds United Fan Club than it does to a formal government. A loose association of violent, rowdy, ill-educated, deeply ignorant thugs with a more-or-less common goal.

3. A shooting war is going on in Afghanistan between the Taliban, the remains of the army of the now deceased Masood, "Lion of Panjir," and whoever else feels like launching a rocket at each other.

4. Afghan combat "doctrine" seems to consist largely in a concept of infiltrate, harass, and ambush. A lot of experience against soft targets, most particularly trucks and light armored vehicles. It is a bad idea to respond in a rush to an Afghan ambush.

>>> NOTE WELL: Engagements in Afghanistan will occur at high altitudes, typically 3,000 to 5,000 ft above sea level. At such altitudes, normal max. ranges of light ordnance, particulary including RPG and man-pack SAM, are greatly increased.<<<

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: RE: INFO
Date: 20-Sep-01 | 02:41 AM

5. Brief summary of major invasions of Afghanistan:

A. Alexander The Great invades @330 B.C. Inconclusive. Fails to subdue the region, is able to sieze and fortify southwest portion and establish several garrisons. Gets a heavy arrow through the right lung for his trouble.

B. Arab fanatics @700 A.D. Inconclusive. Succeed in driving Greek-influenced and other Pagans into seclusion in the mountains, and establishing Islam as the dominant faith, but cannot pacify or control the area.

C. Indians under a variety of aggressive Hindu kings, @ 800 A.D. Disaster. Mountain range to the southeast becomes the "Hindu Kush" ("Death of Hindus.) Hindu states weakened, resulting in Islamic conquest of all northern India.

D. British Empire, two invasions, @ 1838 and @ 1878. First starts in disaster, with the massacre of three regiments (about 5,000 men) of British regulars, and a headlong retreat through the Hindu Kush, but ends in success. "Friendly" ruler established by British military force. Second succeeds early, with most of Afghanistan becoming a client state, small princes under British control, for the next 40 years. (Treaty of Gandamak, 1879.)

>>> NOTE: This second invasion may be most relevant: Afghanistan is exhausted at the time, after 15 years of civil war following the first British invasion. British are able to back small groups, selectively, divide, and rule. Further, British by this time are using weapons that are basically science-fiction to the Afghans, including gatling guns and rifled artillery with shrapnel.<<<

E. Soviet Union, lightning invasion including air-landing of armor, 1979. Something over 115,000 troops deployed. This was working, and had the place more or less subdued, until the USA supplied Afghan insurgents with sophisticated portable weapons. Most notably, groups that wound up very well armed included the Taliban, and Osama Bin Laden.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: RE: INFO
Date: 20-Sep-01 | 02:43 AM

For a perspective on this last, before the U.S. supplied aid, you can consult the very well-researched AFGHANISTAN: THE FIRST FIVE YEARS OF SOVIET OCCUPATION, by J. Bruce AMSTUTZ, National Defense University Press, 1986. (This has chapters on tactics and opposing forces, which may be more useful for the footnotes and their guide to further research than it is by itself. Amstutz is no infantryman.) An excerpt that might be interesting:

"The two best known (afghan) training camps were run by a former Afghan army colonel, Rahmatullah Safi. He had received commando-type training in the United Kingdom in 1973; he had also received training in the USSR and during the Vietnam War with U.S. Special Forces..."

In other words, unless the looney Taliban has bumped them off, the Afghans have people that know OUR doctrine, including Special Forces doctrine, very well. At least, our doctrine of 30 years ago.

Okay, some known specifics:

Afghan forces, including local militias, are well equipped with 14.5 mm guns, a variety of RPG, and portable SAM including some first generation STINGER.

They have a lot of experience with these weapons, including more experience at high surface altitudes than we will have. They have a lot of experience in downing helicopters. They may not be used to the more agile U.S. types, but if we give them time, they will learn. Normal safe zones for fast movers, 10,000 AGL, will not be safe because of the improved missile performance at altitude. Further, it is well-established that Afghans would ambush aircraft, dangling volunteer bait in a valley, with AA teams pre-postioned on the surrounding mountain peaks. They succeeded in downing HIND types with 14.5 mm MG by firing DOWN into the rotor hubs.

A consistent weakness with Afghan forces is ammunition supply. Transport is basically what can be back-packed, and these forces cannot sustain a fire-fight outside their base areas. However: They don't act like it. They tend to expend the available ammo in prodigious quantities, the (quite sensible) doctrine seeming to be "win quick or bug out."

Afghan forces, pursued into their base support areas, can respond with heavy weapons including armor of the T-55 (possibly T-72) class, towed gun artillery, and (their favorite) rocket artillery.

A great deal of the countryside is mined. No one even knows who put the mines there, any more. The locals have established safe routes more or less by trial and error. This suggests a possible predictability in their movements, that otherwise we wouldn't expect in their own back yard.

Budokan
09-19-2001, 04:28 PM
Nice post. Those Afghanis have been kicking the dogcrap out of foreigners for a long time now. I didn't know that bit about Alexander the Great though. Awesome fighters tempered by their harsh environment. They somewhat remind me of the Fremen from the Frank Herbert novels.

K. Mark Hoover

sean_stonehart
09-19-2001, 04:44 PM
I heard this once (can't remember where) but it goes something like ...

"God save me from the fangs of the cobra, teeth of the tiger & wrath of the Afgani"

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats.

-- H.L. Mencken

Stranger
09-19-2001, 05:39 PM
Bring it! :mad:

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

SLC
09-19-2001, 10:43 PM
Maybe they should have done a force assessment on us... before last Tuesday.

What Stranger said!!

They fu*cked up when they didn't get all of us. :mad:

PAX AMERICANA

Sharky
09-20-2001, 02:47 AM
"God save me from the fangs of the cobra, teeth of the tiger & wrath of the Afgani"

I've heard that many a time too. Things are different now however.

I've done a lot of reading in the PAST about the afghani's, and safe to say, they are badasses. However, get real, the whole of the usa against some gorilla's, um, bets here --------> <-------- here please

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Watchman
09-20-2001, 08:20 AM
http://www.nand.com/aura/image001.jpg

atsai
09-20-2001, 12:06 PM
Maybe I outta visit the underground forum more..., how come they have all the good discussion...

Anyway, I believe the Mongolian cavalry, led by Genghis Khan himself, laid ruins to cities of Afganistan in early 13th century.

I doubt US will declare war on Afghanistan (like some people seem to believe); I don't think UN even recognize Taliban as the ruling government. The country is ruled by factions and the judicial system consists of local Islamic law courts. The US, in my opinion, will be like no enemy Afghan ever faced. Insert a small special force, search and destroy or lase for airstrike, then get the hell out of there. It's not an invasion; we're not interested in occuping land or conquering the country. The Soviet army werent ready for fighting in the mountains and the US were training and suppling the mujahidin force. If I remember my 80's, didn't we sent in Rambo and blew up a whole bunch of their stuff? :)

The Muslim clerics of Afghanistan's Grand Islamic Council(whatever is their function) recommended Taliban to ask Bin Laden to leave. It seems everyone except the Taliban realized the sh!t is about to hit the fan.

Afghan fighters are tough, I think this had been historically proven. Anything else we need to learn about Afghanistan?

<TABLE BORDER="3" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="1"><TR><TD><form><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE=" Art T " onClick="parent.location='http://people.we.mediaone.net/arttsai/home.html'"></TD></TR></table></form><HR Width="97%">"You fight like you train." --Motto, USN Fighter Weapon School (TOPGUN)

atsai
09-20-2001, 12:58 PM
http://mail.chartermi.net/~garry/afgani~1.jpg

<TABLE BORDER="3" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="1"><TR><TD><form><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE=" Art T " onClick="parent.location='http://people.we.mediaone.net/arttsai/home.html'"></TD></TR></table></form><HR Width="97%">"You fight like you train." --Motto, USN Fighter Weapon School (TOPGUN)

Crimson Phoenix
09-20-2001, 02:30 PM
OK, OK, I'm gonna get flamed and insulted fir this one, but why do I have the uncomfortable impression that most of you put all the Afghans in the same drawer like they are all responsible for what happened and like they are all Talibans or Taliban supporters?? Really, all accounts from serious and dangerous journalistic works show that the Talibans are a minority that keep the majority under fear...it's the "sheep effect", if the oppresed Afghans wanted to kick the Talibans out themselves they could do it by the shear number...but "the neighbor doesn't move, so I won't move".
Just my two cents...

PS: ArtT, cracking pic!! (and wise post)

Watchman
09-20-2001, 07:03 PM
>>>I doubt US will declare war on Afghanistan (like some people seem to believe); I don't think UN even recognize Taliban as the ruling government.<<<

Actually, it looks more and more like we ARE going to war with Afghanistan. At first the administration's rhetoric was along the lines of a bug hunt solely directed at Bin Laden's organization.

Then, the rhetoric changed to a "war" on "all terrorist groups with global reach".

Then, just last night on CNN, the rhetoric has changed to waging a direct war against Afghanistan to overthrow the Taliban regime and replace it with a UN interim government.

It just keeps getting bigger.

SLC
09-20-2001, 07:17 PM
No flame from me, Phoenix... you silly twit. (kidding)

I know what you mean, but I think (hope) we are proceeding as if there were some possibility that by acting "just right" we might avoid inflaming the entire Afgan people against us.

That is the big question, though: "Where does the majority popular feeling lie in the Muslim world?" I think the answer to that question will soon decide just how big a job we have ahead of us.

Bush's speech, last night, made it clear to me that he knows the difference between terrorists and Muslims.

Ben Laden, your operation was good; real good in fact. But you fu*ked up one little thing... you didn't get all of us. Be seein' you. ;)

Crimson Phoenix
09-20-2001, 11:40 PM
SLC, :D
I agree entirely with your post...Bush played it very well...and God knows this issue was a dangerous one...

atsai
09-21-2001, 06:16 AM
It's a political stalemate right now..., I'm going to agree the dog of war will be unleashed. But I don't know what will be the objective of the operation in Afghanistan thou..., Whitehouse spokeman said Bush do not aim to "remove anyone from power." And I don't believe the US have an interest in supporting any anti-Taliban forces w/i Afghan...

About the oppressed victims in Afghanistan, I think that will be on the mind of most, if not every, Americans except the tyrants who wish to use them for their own appetite for power. The attack will be on the government infrastructures and they will be close to cities like Kabul. When the bombs begin to drop, collateral damage will happen and the US troops had gone to great length in the past to avoid it even if it means endangering their own lives.

The US media maybe forced to become enemy's propaganda machine on occasions (do we really care what Saddam Hussan had to say about the attacks? but they have to report it), but I know that this nation have great empathy for the blood of the innocent--especially consider what just happened on our own soil. Do not confuse emotion with action. The US will protect its own interests, be it political, economical or philosophical. The US had made mistakes in the past, but also had helped the weak defend against the strong in more than one occasion. The people of this nation are willing to plead for mercy for the children of our enemy. Hell, even people who get their news from Jay Leno know that Leno and his wife are advocate of women-right in Afghanistan. Do I think this nation has some of the most compassionate people in the world? You bet ya! :)