PDA

View Full Version : Grappling 102

Brad Souders
10-10-2003, 08:45 AM
Well it's that time of the month again :D I figured since i was talking about position grappling and the four most common positions i'd touch on my favorite escape for each one of these positions. So here we go.

Mount- We all know this is NOT the place to be. On the bottom blows nuff said. If striking is allowed wrap up opponents head to keep it tight to you to avoid getting hit and if just grappling focus more on not getting an arm lose from the body. OK on to my personal favorite escape. Alot of people like to bridge *thrust hips up into the opponent on top and try to quote unquote tip him over* but i use this as a set-up. So lets say i try to bridge/bump him off to my left his right. I'll explode into the bridge but not to rock him off but to get him to move his legs from my sides. This leaves space to work in other parts. Almost as i'm bridging my leg elbow/arm slides to the inside of his right thigh, and my left knee comes up and meets my elbow under his leg. *While doing this turn onto your left side to produce even more space and explosive power to get the knee and elbow to beat him to the punch* Once the left leg is outside the opponents right thigh keep your left foot on the inside of the thigh and your right leg wrapped over the back of his right calf. *This stops from wrestlers cutting their knee back across your thigh to pass* This becomes a very strong half-guard position but not today ;)

Side-mount/crossbody- This has your opponent's head on your left side and his legs to your right. His arm away from your head (right arm) is at your right hip and the closest arm (left arm) is on your left rib side. First place your right elbow into the close part of his left hip bone. The other arm careful *and i mean careful* works to his right hip underneath him. As you sneak your arm through begin to turn to your right side. (Now this foot work makes this escape) Your left leg stays planted with knee bent up into the air and the right leg shoots underneath that leg. This hip motion creates the same torque as throwing a punch. As you do this turn complete into the opponent. Aim your head so it shoots between the opponents knee. This ends with your on all fours with your head between his knee and from here you can sit back onto your butt to guard or work on other techniques to escape. We call this escape 12o clock 9o clock because instead of simply turning over your body starts as if its on the 12 or 6 of a clock | and ends with you in the 3 or 9 position -- If u turn over and he is still on your side focus more on getting your head between his legs.

Continue.....

Brad Souders
10-10-2003, 09:27 AM
Guard- Many ways to break the guard. Pull the head to the opponent's chest, place your elbow tips into his inner thigh, reach back and seperate the ankles crossed. Use which ever you feel most comfortable with. So lets say i'm going to pass to my left. Use your right forearm to pin his left leg down to the ground (keep this tight if not during this pass a triangle choke is there for him/her for sure) and your right arm goes under his right knee up to your shoulder. Now drive his right knee so it acts like it is going to touch his nose. *Here is an important difference then most people do it* Make sure the leg keeps contact with you as it goes to his nose it should slide off and over your head without losing contact. This doesn't allow the opponent's knee the space to beat you and him to regain the guard.

Back Mount- If your on your stomach GET OFF IT!!! i like to roll so the person ends up on his back and my back is to him. This gives you move hip freedom. Once again i'm escaping to the left. Take out his left leg that is hooked to your left inner thigh. Grab at the ankle and pass it to the ground. Step your left leg over it to trap it there. Now begin to turn into him to your right side while scouting your butt over top his left thigh. Go til your butt touches the opposite side of his leg so its trapped. Use your left foot underneath his right knee this stops him from turning in on you and getting on top. Now as you turn to get cross body place your left arm to the left side of his hip. As your knee comes down cut it so it almost looks like your kneeing the ground. This cutting motion eliminates space he could us to beat your leg and get guard. As the knee touches move your arm up the body and place the opposite arm over top him to his rib cage for a cross-body.

Discuss among yourself

Brad Souders

ShaolinTiger00
10-10-2003, 09:55 AM
Brad,

mount - you're example is the classic elbow-knee escape, but you're solution only take you halfway thru the move because you're stopping at half guard. once one leg is free, you need to shrimp and make the same motion to get space to the opposite side to get into full guard. IMHO it is better to "upa" and pass his guard than to purposely go to half guard. don't get me wrong. I like the half guard, but I use it usually after a tangled takedown. again IMHO even if you know good half guard subs and sweeps, if the guy on the top 1/2 knows anything at all, he'll make it a rough go..

side control - control the hips, shrimp, sound advice.

guard -

Pull the head to the opponent's chest,

hell no!

Posture!! base & posture bro! maybe if he's working a newbie working a closed guard but in any other situation you've got to get your head behind your hands, which should be no further away than his beltline unless he's trying to sit up..

rear mount - again classic escape. unhook a leg, shrimp out and turn in.

How long have you been training bjj Brad?

Brad Souders
10-10-2003, 10:03 AM
The mount escape i just got lazy with.

One thing i should of mentioned is this is all no gi stuff. I don't train gi at all. When i was talking about pulling the head in *which i don't use but know alot that do* I mix it. If he protects the thighs with his hands i pull the head in to force his hands back away from his thighs.

U reminded me of another two guard breaks.

1. Stand up. Hands go right above belt line. Push downward and shake your butt back and away from them.

Stand up. Slide a knee in between their butt and your hips and sit back seperating their legs by using your knee to a wedge.

If i told u how long i been training grapplin people that seen me grapple would really think i'm ****ty. 10 yrs BTW lol

Brad Souders

Volcano Admim
10-10-2003, 10:07 AM
*VA laughs at ST*

L O L

ShaolinTiger00
10-10-2003, 10:16 AM
Good stuff Brad.

Directed at the newbies and those interested in groundfighting -

Do you see how Brad's movements share a common theme? - Escape = create space. movement on the ground = HIPS

HIPS = Escape either thru the movement of your own to create space or the control of your opponents hips to limit his movement.

and just the opposite is true for controling an opponent. = take away space and control his hips.

I still consider myself very much a newbie to groundfighting (2 yrs) but I think new people spend too much time obsessing over submissions and as many techniques as possible instead of trying to see the big picture and the strategy behind bjj..

positional domination will pressure you're opponent into making a mistake.

Brad. - a great drill I just discovered. have one guy work open guard. guy inside guard tries to place knee on butt to stop hip movement, guy using guard uses hip movement to keep away..

Brad Souders
10-10-2003, 10:25 AM
That sounds like a drill i'll have to check.

One to learn even more hip movement i like.

Guy on bottom must keep his hands behind head at all times and use no hands.

Top guy tries to pass but isn't allowed to leg lock.

Go live for two minutes if there is a pass go back to guard then switch after two minutes.

U wanna talk about getting good hip movement and leg control in guard i like this drill.

If u missed my first grappling 101 post these post are toward newbies trying to spark my interest back into grappling which i seem to have lost for a little while.

Brad Souders