PDA

View Full Version : Little survey....

scotty1
09-30-2001, 02:37 PM
I've got the impression from reading some of the threads in this forum (and just from talking to people) that some people are of the opinion that a Kung Fu exponent up against a Muay Thai style kickboxer would get flattened. I think the image in their head is of the Kung Fu guy getting steamrollered by the kickboxer. Anyone got any thoughts on this? I'm not saying this is my opinion, just one i've heard. And no "it depends on the experience of the fighters" blah blah blah.
Do you think Kung Fu can hold its own against muay thai kickboxing? I think the answer is (obviously) yes. But it would seem to me some people don't, so come on, lets be having you.

honorisc
09-30-2001, 07:38 PM
I don't thik that Muay Thai is so end-all that Kung-Fu has to try to be as good as~. A valid Kung-Fu person of course would not be steamroolled (type of thing), by a Muay Thai person, basically.

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

MixedMartialArtist
09-30-2001, 07:50 PM
I do a combination of MT and WC kung fu. Not that I'm an expert in either, don't get me wrong. My opinion is that both styles are very good at what they do. The only deciding factor is that (traditionally) MT practitioners are trained to take hits, KF guys are trained to block/avoid hits. If the MT guy manages to make contact, the KF guy probably can't absorb as many shots as the MT. It depends on who makes the first mistake. KF tends to generate almost as much power, but with more speed than MT. (generalization, I know) A few clean shots and the MT guy will still go down.

SevenStar
09-30-2001, 08:44 PM
"The only deciding factor is that (traditionally) MT practitioners are trained to take hits, KF guys are trained to block/avoid hits."

I agree here. One of the strategies a MT fighter will use is "walk forward and attack" basically, you advance on your opponent, blocking what you can, absorbing those that you can't, all the while unloading on your opponent. In general, MT fighters are conditioned to take more punishment I believe, but a trained CMA stylist definitely has a chance against a MT fighter. there is no ultimate style...

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

Pointy
09-30-2001, 11:22 PM
Rematch after 20 years and lets see which (CMA or MT) still walks...

"Pain is only natures way of telling you're in terrible agony"

MixedMartialArtist
09-30-2001, 11:30 PM
excellent post Pointy

toddbringewatt
10-01-2001, 03:14 PM
I agree with Pointy.

You know, one might argue that Muay Thai is really more of an approach to training than anything else. An approach to training techniques that were there long before its inception as a style.

One might argue Kung Fu has everything Muay Thai has and more.

One might argue Muay Thai is a streamlined version of a limited range of techniques already found in Kung Fu.

Perhaps the success of Muay Thai has more to do with the quote: "I do not fear the 1000 techniques you know. I fear the one technique you have practiced 1000 times."

Food for thought.

"Bruce Leroy. That's who!"

SLC
10-01-2001, 04:25 PM
I don't have a horse in this race but I'd like to comment.

It is a "catchy" point, but the question of who will be healthier in twenty years sort of dodges the issue in the way we usually look at it. It implies that for the KF guy, the fight now may be lost, but he will be less damaged by a safer "career", overall.

That is pretty contrary to the basic idea that it is best not to lose a fight because there might not be twenty years later if you do. We almost always take MA encounter as a life/death self defense thing. This "now or later" argument makes the issue to be more of a sporting encounter.

Ben Laden, your operation was good; real good in fact. But you fu*ked up one little thing... you didn't get all of us.

straight blast
10-02-2001, 06:36 AM
Having some experience of both arts I'd say if you put a 1 year student of MT vs a 1 year student of WC the WC guy would get creamed. Unless...
The 1 year student of WC trained like a Thai stylist. Just some background... I weigh 100 kilo's when in peak condition. This makes me super heavyweight class. Unfortunately this applies to anybody over 96.4 kilos. The average opponent I fought was between 108-112 kilos. Though I have fought a guy who weighs 115. As such, my Kru trained me up quick & hard. In two short years I got broken bones & KO'd twice. I split a guy's shin so that he can never Kickbox again. But I learned a lot.
Now I'm getting involved with Wing Chun after getting beaten by a WC guy. He trains every bit as hard as a Thai boxer, and as such is as good. You just have to be able to learn to take hits. Everybody is gonna get hit at some point. Bruce Lee wore more than few (if you read his books) and he's a lot faster than I am.

Muay Thai is NOT invincible. If you wanna beat 'em, train harder and train REAL. ;)

"Through strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail"

Nin-Po-Dragon
11-06-2001, 05:38 AM
Pointy knows what he is talking about!!!!!!!!
Muay Thai is for mindless thugs! They are wasting their time! After a few years of it they end up like old men when all they were trying to do is be tough. In the end ,all their pain will manifest as injuries!!!!!!!!!!