PDA

View Full Version : Hsing I and Bagua Zhang

ewallace
09-30-2001, 08:57 PM
I am considering training with a school thats main focus is Hsing I and Bagua Zhang. This is really the only CMA in my area. Anyone have any opinions on these arts as 1. a training art, and 2. a fighting art.

TIA,
Eric

JerryLove
09-30-2001, 09:11 PM
I'm very impressed with both arts (when taught compitently), though I have never known either to be particularly fast to learn.

fmann
09-30-2001, 10:08 PM
I agree w/ Jerry Love. Higher level people that I've played with were extremely devastating, but the learning curve to develop fighting tactics/readiness is a bit steep.

Chris McKinley
10-21-2001, 06:51 AM
I've never formally trained in Hsing I Chuan, but I can vouch for the street effectiveness of Baguazhang with my very life. As for being a "training" art, I'm afraid that, at least where I am concerned, you're going to have to be just a bit more specific as to how you are defining such an art.

Done correctly, the internal arts can be some of the most devastatingly street effective stuff you'll ever run across, but you absolutely cannot cut corners on developing the little nuances that distinguish them from other arts. This is part of what lends them their notoriously long learning curve with traditional teaching methods.

curtis
10-21-2001, 11:01 AM
I too agree with everyone here.
if the school is local, and the sufu is good,you might as well try it. It sounds like you have nothing to lose,and maybe everything to gain.
the sifu is everything in this case. see how you and him click, Remember even a good teacher in a bad art is,better then a bad teacher in the best of arts.
Good luck.
C.A.G.

HuangKaiVun
10-21-2001, 04:23 PM
If you can walk away having learned the Single/Double Palm Changes from Bagua and the 5 Elements from Xingyi, then you have a good school on your hands.

CD Lee
10-21-2001, 09:08 PM
I had the same questions and I do agree with everyone here. I am new to HsingI, but after two sessions, I have a lot to work on for a long time. I will say this...after our session Saturday in which we did some qigong, san ti, and stepping only, my back felt so good going home that I was almost smiling in disbelief.

I did boxing and other MA stuff when I was younger. I consider myself very well balanced. The balance and control I am working on now is surprisingly more challenging than I thought. Simple little things. Just stepping. How can that be hard? When you tune in a bit to your body, really tune in, you find what you ARE doing, and then can change to what you WANT it to do. Good luck.

Is this stuff street effective? Our Shirfu is a professional bodyguard and trains police. Obviously, there is some practical applications

GeneChing
10-21-2001, 11:50 PM
We have a special focus on Xingyi & Bagua. On stands now.

http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/kunmag20novi.html

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

ewallace
10-28-2001, 10:51 PM
Thank you all for the info. I have started training, but have yet to actually meet the teacher. He is recovering from surgery. His guys still get together and I have learned single, double and dragon palm changes, as well as some linear Bagua.

- Eric

Victory goes to he who makes the next-to-last mistake.

CD Lee
10-30-2001, 07:11 PM
Cool man! Bagua rules. I wanted to take it, but when I travel I could not take the Monday classes at our school, so I am taking Xingyiquan because it is offered on Saturdays.

There is a saying,
Xingi is for brave man
Bagua is for smart man
I forgot Taijiquan??? one

Good luch in training. Give How hard to you find the training?

ewallace
10-30-2001, 07:34 PM
I found it by searching local wesites (sa360.com ... I think), as well as using sites like "google.com" and typing in "san antonio kung fu", "san antonio martial arts" in the search box.

- Eric

ewallace
10-30-2001, 07:35 PM
They do hsing-i as well.

Vankuen
11-02-2001, 06:26 PM
Im from SA as well...and have spoken to Bill Lewitt about John's class there.

I just wanted to say its nice to see another from my hometown on here too!

I have been considering training there with Bill as well, or continuing my wing chun under the Leung Ting lineage (but Im not so hot on that idea). But anyway, good training to you...maybe Ill see you around and even train with you when I finally get back home.

"From one thing know ten thousand" - Miyomato Musashi, Book of five rings

Mojo
11-05-2001, 12:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CD Lee:

There is a saying,
Xingi is for brave man
Bagua is for smart man
I forgot Taijiquan??? one

[/quote]

so I guess Bagua isn't for you.

:D

I am the most humble person you'll ever meet.