PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me with weighted pullups

inic
10-13-2003, 06:11 AM
Was doing a routine that Ironfist gave me, but then realized that was for size. I just want strength, not size now. anyone have a routine?

I'll do some curls to get a lil size a few times a week...

IronFist
10-13-2003, 06:29 PM
What kind of strength do you want? 1RM? Can you do 1 handed pullups yet?

IMO, or at least in my experience, curls are better for biceps size than pullups. I never got big biceps from doing lots of weighted pullups.

PTP for weighted pullups works very well, but remember that strict PTP kills your endurance.

inic
10-13-2003, 07:04 PM
heh, you always read my posts wrong. I DON'T want size.... JUST strength... So what should I do? weighted pullups? curls? both?

No, i can't do 1-arms yet. I just started getting back in shape, so I'm mainly trying to get my pullup endurance back.... doing em in sets of 10 right now... trying to get back up to 15-17

IronFist
10-14-2003, 08:49 PM
Hey tough guy, I didn't read your post wrong.

My purpose of saying this,
IMO, or at least in my experience, curls are better for biceps size than pullups. I never got big biceps from doing lots of weighted pullups.

was to say that you probably won't get a ton of mass from pullups, so don't worry about gaining size from them.

You say you want only strength, but then you said:
doing em in sets of 10 right now... trying to get back up to 15-17

If you're doing sets of 10 already and want to get up to 15-17 I'd say that strength isn't what you're looking for. That sounds like endurance. Strength is generally thought of as the most weight you can move once, not how many of something you can do.
Once you get to 15 reps or so you're not getting any stronger from being able to do more.

Anyway, try ladders to increase the number of pullups you can do, if you haven't done ladders in a while.

Serpent
10-14-2003, 10:08 PM
Pure strength gains = very few reps (like 6 or so) at close to 1RM.

Size and some strength = 8 to 12 reps at about 85% 1RM.

Endurance = over 12 reps at close to 75 % (or less) of 1 RM.

The above are general rules.

Therefore, if you want raw strength, heap on the weight and only go for a handful of reps with long rests in between. Go to failure.