PDA

View Full Version : Squatting with heels up....Good? Bad?

Souljah
10-13-2003, 02:43 PM
Are there any detrimental effects of squatting with my heels up?
I find it slot easier to balance but alot harder on the thighs.....

any thoughts?

lowsweep
10-13-2003, 03:49 PM
I thought that was dangerous for your knees. I was taught to put all the weight on my heels. I can't be sure this is correct, though, better check with Iron or the other guys to make sure. In the mean time, though, I would try to keep off the toes, just in case.

IronFist
10-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Barbell squatting or weightless squatting?

inic
10-13-2003, 07:10 PM
How can your heels NOT stay on the ground? I have to fight to keep my toes from tipping up...

IronFist
10-14-2003, 08:53 PM
It's a lack of flexibility in the calf that causes people's heels to come up when they barbell squat. Well, that's what I think it is most of the time. I could imagine it being caused by certain body proportions in some cases, however.

Elxen
10-15-2003, 03:57 AM
I always squat with my heels up

don't know if its good or bad.......or why I "can't" keep em down

Kumkuat
10-15-2003, 06:25 AM
Dunno, it might be technique too. My friend has incredibly inflexible calves and he can still squat deep with no trouble with his heels on the ground. Although he still can't do a full asian squat though. Weird... Anyway, didn't Pavel say that one should be able to squat even with ski boots on?

Ford Prefect
10-15-2003, 09:51 AM
Pavel would sound pretty fruity if he said that since your knees would flare out over your feet. I don't see a problem with squatting with toes up as long as you keep good form. Obviously stability will be an issue and it will keep you from squatting bigger weights, which will keep you from making progress and getting the full benefits from a squat exercise.