PDA

View Full Version : Unusual? Part II

saolim
10-14-2003, 02:35 AM
OK, the first unusual picture turned out not to be so unusual at all, but maybe this one? I won’t say anything at this point; I really would like to see some reactions first ( some people (shaolinmaster?) probably know this one very well; please don’t spoil it yet; please let other guess and comment first :-) )

ZhouJiaQuan
10-14-2003, 05:13 AM
seen some modern wushu people doing it. and i think there was a guy who tuaght "shaolin" and i saw that move from them as well, i cant remember, i wasnt impressed with the style.

thats all i got

saolim
10-15-2003, 12:58 AM
****, I forgot about Donn Draeger's Lohan book! It is in fact the same movement as from the book...
It is nice to publish a book like that, but it also means that people learn from the book and then have others who see that and say " i wasnt impressed with the style." Or maybe the person who ZhouJiaQuan saw was legit, who knows.

Anyway, so much for Unusual Part II ... or are there any other comments?

blooming lotus
10-15-2003, 01:36 AM
Shaolim master?good form.. fair enough, but is it just me or this guy a bit on the chubb???

Serpent
10-15-2003, 04:37 PM
A similar move with a fighting application is quite common where the fighter will drop down like this under an attack (hence the hand above, although this hand should be over the head to cover) and the right hand, instead of pressing down, would strike out at the vulnerable side of the knee to destabilise or uproot the opponent. Obviously this is a transitional movement and the practitioner would keep moving and follow through with further techniques.

This picture appears to be an extended, overemphasised version of the tech I described.

"Is this guy a bit on the chubb?" LOL. :D

JAZA
10-15-2003, 05:28 PM
Something like that

Ming Fai
10-15-2003, 08:33 PM
To JAZA:

This technique is found in the Siu Sup Ji Kuen (Small Cross Pattern Fist) of Choy Li Fut, right?

CLFNole
10-15-2003, 08:55 PM
This technique is seen in quite a few different CLF forms but yes it is seen in Sup Gee Kow Da Kuen.

I believe the chinese would be "lau gwai ma bay fu".

Peace.

ZhouJiaQuan
10-15-2003, 09:46 PM
Whose don dreager? never seen the book. I have no knowledge as to his legitness, the style wasnt for me, i.e. i didnt like it. That is that.

i would agree the guy in the pic is over extending for any application, but then again i dont know that move or that style :)

peace

Serpent
10-15-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by JAZA
Something like that

Yep, a lot like that. You'll find it in heaps of CLF, as Nole mentioned. However, ideally the left hand should be further over the head for protection. Also, I would more likely use a panther fist for the right hand.

CLFNole - perhaps "Loq gwai ma pao chui" or, as per the picture, "loq gwai ma dar nam"?

Feng
10-16-2003, 03:07 AM
I might be mistaken but could it be loq gwai ma jit fu chui (that's how i call it at least). you can even see it in the five wheel fist.

(I'm new to this forum)

regards

Serpent
10-16-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Feng
I might be mistaken but could it be loq gwai ma jit fu chui (that's how i call it at least). you can even see it in the five wheel fist.

(I'm new to this forum)

regards

Come to think of it, yes that is a good term to use. But where is it in Ng Lun Chui? I can think of a similar move, but that is more of a charn jeurng. Semantic perhaps.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

David Jamieson
10-16-2003, 05:48 PM
you can't fool me, that is mere pantomime.

It is the "hey, I am in a box" movement.

It is followed by "walk against the wind" and "lean on the invisible file cabinet"

:D

so, what's the application?

cheers

Serpent
10-16-2003, 11:27 PM
If it were loq gwai ma jit fu chui it would be dropping under an attack and striking at the side of the opponent's knee while covering the head.

David Jamieson
10-17-2003, 12:19 AM
knee strike eh. ok, anymore for that move?

while the second graphic looks like a low chop with upper deflect/check, the first one is totally different in that respect. first one looks like press up and press down.

how to apply press up and press down?

tanglang
10-17-2003, 07:53 AM
This technique is found in the Siu Sup Ji Kuen (Small Cross Pattern Fist) of Choy Li Fut, right?
Learned some bak mei also: and there exists a form with this name, too-and the sup ji kuen- the "bung bo" of bak mei,so to say think... ( important fundamental mantis-form, traditionally the first form that you learn, though it's very difficult compared to other PM-forms) , .. are there similarities in CLF and BM-version or do the two forms have nothing in common?

JAZA
10-17-2003, 07:59 AM
The way it was taught to me in the form was with an open hand like a darn nam, but when they show me anapplication was with a jit fu choy to the knee as Serpent said.
For the first image the press up and down looks more like a chi kung exercise but is doing stand up.

Ben Gash
10-17-2003, 09:00 AM
Tanglang, the only similarity between the to is that the footwork makes a + shape.

tanglang
10-17-2003, 10:43 AM
like so often- only the name is the same...:)

saolim
10-17-2003, 11:42 AM
Thank you all for your interesting replies.

The "hey, I am in a box" movement is the opening movement of Lohan Kun (Luohan Quan) The same movement can be seen in Master P’ng Chye Khim and Donn Dreager’s book Lohan Kung Fu book. In fact the whole set is more or less the same.

The name of the movement is Lohan Kai Kung: ‘Luohan Drawing a bow’.

Attached is the cover of the Lohan book.

By the way: the guy that’s a bit on the chubb, that’s me …

Tak
10-17-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
It is followed by "walk against the wind" and "lean on the invisible file cabinet" Aha! I always wondered what those mimes were leaning on!

Serpent
10-18-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
knee strike eh. ok, anymore for that move?

while the second graphic looks like a low chop with upper deflect/check, the first one is totally different in that respect. first one looks like press up and press down.

how to apply press up and press down?

As mentioned, I think this is purely a qigong exercise without a martial application.

blooming lotus
10-19-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by tanglang
like so often- only the name is the same...:)

tanglang ....nice clip dude..well wrapped - cheers :cool: