PDA

View Full Version : Martial Artist kills 2 out of 4 attackers in Rome

Ren Blade
10-14-2003, 07:35 AM
Martial arts expert kills two raiders

Philip Willan in Rome
Monday October 13, 2003
The Guardian

A Chinese martial arts expert was in custody yesterday after turning the tables on four burglars armed with knives, killing two of them and seriously wounding a third.
The 28-year-old man, known as "the doctor" for his practice of acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine, managed to seize one of the two knives carried by his assailants and saw off the entire group with the ferocity of his reaction.

Magistrates in the central Italian town of Empoli are now seeking to establish whether his self-defence constituted an excessive use of force.

The butchery, worthy of a Quentin Tarantino film, began shortly before midnight on Friday when the four men knocked at the apartment of a Chinese hairdresser in the centre of Empoli.

The hairdresser, her assistant and "the doctor", who operated from the same premises, were reportedly overpowered and tied up before the group, all thought to be in their 20s and 30s, ransacked the apartment.

Disappointed by their meagre booty, the attackers allegedly threatened to rape the two women unless they told them where the rest of their money was hidden.

At this point the doctor managed to free himself, seize a knife from one of the aggressors and deliver a series of lethal stab wounds.

Investigators found the body of one man, who had been stabbed in the heart, sprawled on the staircase and another man bleeding to death in the street from a wound to his leg. A third man is recovering in hospital from a punctured lung.

The doctor was found crouching in the entrance to the building with cuts to his shoulder, face and hands.

Investigators are trying to determine whether he inflicted the injuries while defending himself inside the apartment, or hunted down the burglars after they had fled.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/italy/story/0,12576,1061765,00.html

CFT
10-14-2003, 09:27 AM
I'm not trying to troll or anything, but shouldn't this incident put to rest the general argument that traditional Chinese martial arts are no good because they are unrealistic, etc. ?

The usual rebuttal is that it all depends on the individual, and whether they can make the art work for them in a real situation, despite the "unrealistic" nature of their training, e.g. doing forms, no heavy sparring ....

Of course we have to wait for more news, but I thought I'd get my raw thoughts down.

I admit that I don't frequent this particular forum, but I thought that there might be many individual here who would hold the opinion that TCMA are crap. I'm sorry if I offend anyone with this post, but maybe it will trigger some people to re-assess their arguments.

It's no mean feat for a martial arts practioner of any persuasion to overcome 2 armed assailants (trained or untrained).

SanSoo Student
10-14-2003, 10:54 AM
I think the guy will be let off for self-defense. If I was that guy, I would've tried do the same thing and tried to kill every last one of those guys. I don't think you can scare off a group of burgulars unless you really show you have the intent of killing them. And reason of defending the two women from getting rapped should be just cause for using the excessive force.

And what kind of idiot would suspect that those wounds were self-inflicted. The reality of any knife fight is that you will get cut, nobody would slash themself on purpose.

Temujinn
10-14-2003, 10:09 PM
Chinese martial arts or no, the mixed martial artist still studies a traditional style.
There are still regimented training excercises and drilling.
I have never heard of any style of fighting where you trained by going full on against your teacher or fellow student.
Anyone who argues the value of traditional arts really doesnt understand the mechanics behind fighting.
The military use a variety of traditional concepts, and those men MUST have an effective system. It is up to the dedication of the student to determine the value. Mind body and soul.
I hope this man gets let off, If someone could find an address to send letters I would be happy to send one.