PDA

View Full Version : Need Help From the Ground Guys

Water Dragon
10-14-2003, 11:07 AM
I was doing some sparring with the local MMA champ last night, and got straight tooled on the ground. Now I’m starting to get that stiff-neck-wait-until-tomorrow-if-you-think-this-is-sore thing going on. Anyone got any good stretches/exercises/remedies to head this off during my workout tonight?

old jong
10-14-2003, 11:10 AM
You should have the local muay thai champ kick you behind the head a few times......And take a few tylenol.;)

Water Dragon
10-14-2003, 11:12 AM
lol he IS the local Muay Thai champ too. I'm gonna start training with him.

old jong
10-14-2003, 11:15 AM
Then I recommend "Tylenol strong" (Read the posology);)

ShaolinTiger00
10-14-2003, 11:27 AM
eat two flan and call me in the morning..

Oso
10-14-2003, 12:04 PM
I've been doing 4 aleve a day since last week.

Finally saw a PT last night who thinks I pulled one of the small muscles that run from the top two vertebra up into the skull. He gave me some exercises to aleviate the pain a bit. But it hurts like a mofo now.

so, don't let it go for too long before seeing someone. If I remember right, you're not a spring chicken either.

Water Dragon
10-14-2003, 12:13 PM
Oh, it's nothing like that Oso. My neck is just not accustomed to being triangled and cranked on anymore. Ever work out really hard after not working out for a while and 2 days later you feel like you're wearing a pain suit? That's what I want to avoid.

But yeah, OJ I've been doing the Tylenol and some Deep Heet as well. I'll see if I can't find someone to kick me in the head a few times after work ;)

Ps. No, I'm not a Spring Chicken anymore. There's basically something on my that's hurt or injured 24/7 now. I'm dreading 40.

Oso
10-14-2003, 12:23 PM
The weightlifter champ at my gym tipped me off to his night time remedy of 2 Tylenol PM's. Works great for me. Sleep like a baby sans pain and don't have a groggy head in the morning.

I of course add a gin&tonic to that.:D

I'm going to go to see this guy's clinic. They do this thing called Active Release Technique which someone (I think Ford Prefect) over at the training forum told me about. I'm trying to develop a 10 year plan so I can keep training like I want till I'm 45.

Then I'll hang up the external and go all tai chi and sh!t.

Radhnoti
10-14-2003, 12:55 PM
I'm not a pharmacist...BUT, you may want to take something aspirin-based for the pain if your stomach can handle it.

Tylenol has no effect on the underlying inflammation, redness and swelling of the joint...aspirin does. Tylenol works by increasing your pain threshold, which is good for headaches but usually less handy for most training-related hurts and injuries.

I've figured this stuff out as I passed the 30 year threshold. :D

Radhnoti
10-14-2003, 12:59 PM
Um...by the way. My understanding is that the only way tylenol (meaning acetamenophen based medicines) can hurt you (long term) is in HUGE doses or taken regularly with alchohol. It damages the liver.

MasterKiller
10-14-2003, 01:02 PM
Is Active Release Technique anything like Full Release? If so, I wanna go to.

Oso
10-14-2003, 01:08 PM
www.activerelease.com

my initial thought is that this way way to hyped to be legit
but the PT I talked to said that he thought it was good as part of a program for rehabbing old injuries.

I'll see and post my opinion.

or taken regularly with alchohol.

damm!;)

I just had to take 3 Ibuprofen to finally knock the pain out today.

fa_jing
10-14-2003, 02:00 PM
For me 500 mg of Motrin does the trick. I needed that after our Saturday session.

Water Dragon
10-14-2003, 03:04 PM
Oh, just wait until next week. I got tooled by this guy, which means I need to getinto as good of shape as this guy. From now on, we go until we puke, and then go for more.

Pure Shuai Chiao from 1-2:30 and then Muay Thai from 3:00-5:00. The MT is $ 40.00/month if you want to go with us.

CaptinPickAxe
10-14-2003, 03:11 PM
I got my ass handed to me by Kirk for missing class...

Nothing works for the pain...but it hurts sooooo good.

Shuai Chiao pain resembles pain of a car accident.

SevenStar
10-15-2003, 10:04 AM
it'll wear off, bro. Once it does, start your neck strengthening exercises. between those and constantly getting tooled, your neck will get used to it. How was your standup against his?

fa_jing
10-15-2003, 10:16 AM
Well most of them guys are jumping rope, like I was saying. You don't want to be at a disadvantage in relation to the other competitors. Start jumping rope and work up to 15-30 minutes a day. Your conditioning has improved alot already, though.

As for training on the same day after SC training - I'll have to work back up to it. I'd like to come to the MT class at least once, but I don't think it's going to be a regular thing - I don't have that much time.

fa_jing
10-15-2003, 10:18 AM
P. S. I have never puked while working out....

Water Dragon
10-15-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
. How was your standup against his?

Well, considering that the guy totally outclasses me (he's 31-0) not too bad. I got 3 solid throws on him, and was able to basically dominate the clinch.

Now getting to the clinch was a whole 'nuther story... ;)