PDA

View Full Version : Got Into A Fight

Raatra
10-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Ok last night i witnessed a friend getting threatened and i stepped in because my friend wanted nothing to do with the guy and was bowing profusely so to speak. I told the guy that no one wanted to fight and that he made his point. The dude tipped my beer into my face as i took a drink and so i pushed him away from me.

He came at me and i tied him up and told him to calm down over and over. He kept coming and eventually grabbed my hood and ripped my shirt. It kind of pulled me off balance so i adjusted and struck him with a decent amount of force with a knee to his lower chest. This made him rear back so i grabbed his jaw, twisted his head away from me and continued torquing his head until he went down. I went down on top of him and wanted a better position to control him and so i used my head as a point of leverage as i threw my legs around and ended up with him in a side headlock having both his arm and head within the lock. My legs were now out perpendicular to his body which is what i wanted. I started flicking him on his forehead and laughing, telling him to just stop.

At this point he stopped and as i was about to get up a friend of his lunged at me as if to kick me in the face. So my sister lol, grabbed him and started yelling at him. He was like "$hit im sorry" and i think started hitting on her after that.

So what did i learn? Well, my fight did go to the ground. However, i wasnt really trying to hurt him and was consciously aware of many opportunities to strike him but didnt. So i think it went to the ground because i was mainly trying to control him rather than take him out. I ended up with lots of small cuts from rolling on the ground, especially from when i used my head as leverage..which was stupid but i wasnt really thinking about the state of the street i was on at the time. Also, you are vulnerable to other atttackers while you are grappling and if they have friends...they WILL jump in. Afterwards 2 other friends of his tried to come at me but got stopped by the onlookers. Overall, i wasnt happy. I should have just dropped him and left.

Shaolin-Do
10-14-2003, 11:57 AM
Most beer spilled on me is by drunks saying hello.
"Heugheh hey! Wghats goin hon?"

You shoulda knocked him the f*ck out. Oh well. Next time eh?
;)

old jong
10-14-2003, 12:00 PM
You have been here under a different name don't you?...

Shaolin-Do
10-14-2003, 12:02 PM
Its my secret identity.
Shhh.
I like to converse with myself.
:eek:

Tak
10-14-2003, 12:02 PM
Also, you are vulnerable to other atttackers while you are grappling and if they have friends...they WILL jump in
A point worth emphasizing.

dwid
10-14-2003, 12:09 PM
Check your PM box.

Raatra
10-14-2003, 12:11 PM
shaolin do...yeah there was alot of $hit talking afterwards by his friends so you are right. i should have just laid him out and saved myself the drama. It was fun though, i must admit. I even like the feeling of the bruises i got.

Shaolin-Do
10-14-2003, 12:23 PM
Shoulda knocked out his friends too.
;)

CaptinPickAxe
10-14-2003, 02:23 PM
Then you should of knocked out everyone else at the party for sh!ts and giggles.

lkfmdc
10-14-2003, 02:26 PM
Violence and fighting are antithetical to the higher Buddhist aspirations of traditional Chinese martial arts and clearly you have denegrated not only yourself but your friends, and your tradition. You need to stop eating red meat, eat more granola and become one with your center. Only then will your practice lead you to a higher enlightenment

CaptinPickAxe
10-14-2003, 02:27 PM
and if you have a car...give that to me, you won't be needing it anymore...you'll walk...with rocks in your sandles...

lkfmdc
10-14-2003, 02:35 PM
Chinese martial art was created by Buddhist monks, Taoist hermits and Confucian scholars, all peace loving men, for the sole purpose of developing their chi... such perverse alteration of this pure original content is why we have such attrocities committed in this day and age. Repent! Don't fall sway to the path of violence....

Kristoffer
10-14-2003, 02:36 PM
Eat gravel

CaptinPickAxe
10-14-2003, 02:57 PM
The only true path to enlightenment is a series of knife fights with a drunken bum...

Ralphie
10-14-2003, 03:24 PM
Violence and fighting are antithetical to the higher Buddhist aspirations of traditional Chinese martial arts and clearly you have denegrated not only yourself but your friends, and your tradition. You need to stop eating red meat, eat more granola and become one with your center. Only then will your practice lead you to a higher enlightenment

I live in Boulder, Colorado. You can't imagine how many people buy into this line of thought regarding martial arts(NAROPA Institute is here). Maybe you should close your gym in NY and head out here. People have money, time, and an desire to create an artificial lifestyle based on unreality. To quote a former student of my instructor, "Could you just teach me tai chi for health, I no longer want to be violent or train for violent acts".

Vyvial
10-14-2003, 05:59 PM
"and i tied him up" --- How did he get loose???? Did you tie him tight enough or did he use a knife to get free??

BAI HE
10-14-2003, 06:09 PM
If you understood and applied the Bunkai from the "Kick his ass, Sea Bass" form, you could have ended the conflict sooner.

Train hard!

Shaolinlueb
10-14-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
The only true path to enlightenment is a series of knife fights with a drunken bum...

:o

I agree.

BentMonk
10-15-2003, 04:29 AM
Raatra - Thanks for your story. It illustartes a problem I have been concerned about in my training. I have Cerebral Palsy. I can't kick, but my upper body is fine. I have no choice but to train as a grappler. However my personal preference is to be a striker.
While grappling is great versus one person, you saw what could have happened when there are multiple attackers. I am not about to abandon the grappler training simply becasue my balance sucks and I know any fight I'm in is eventually going to hit the ground. I am however trying to get seriously into Hsing Ie. I figure dropping someone with one shot would be easier than trying to grapple them. :cool:

Raatra
10-15-2003, 09:25 AM
Bentmonk-

You are right man. But i was suprisingly pretty aware of who was around me and if they were jumping in or not and im sure you will be too. All you need is a kick azz sister like me though. Little girl jumped on the dude that came at me, it was great. You should definetly worry about other attackers if you are on the ground and that night suprised me because of how many guys actually tried to jump in once i got the guy down and into the lock. But ill tell you what man, you gotta be aware of the ground you are fighting on too. I probly have 3 cuts on my hand and one on my shoulder that almost could use stitches from glass and rocks that were on the ground. Those bjj guys should train on the street once for a day...then maybe they would modify thier technique a little.