PDA

View Full Version : fasting question

rubthebuddha
10-14-2003, 04:42 PM
for those who have fasted, particularly a fruit fast, what are your thoughts on doing so while still supplementing with basic protein shakes (one per day to offset the protein loss) and/or supplementing with a typical daily multivitamin?

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-14-2003, 04:56 PM
RTB.

While I haven't done such a fast I would add a Multi-Mineral supplement too.

I found that adding a Multi-Mineral supplement during times or stress, summer outdoor training or similar has more benefits than Multi-Vitamins.

Just my thoughts.

rubthebuddha
10-14-2003, 08:24 PM
TJM -- thanks bud. actually, my multivitamin is multimineral as well -- i was just too lazy to type more. :)

what i take daily is vitamin world's ultra vita-man (http://www.vitaminworld.com/scripts2/htmlos.exe/0489.8.3829248634200026169?). it's a craptacular name, but it does the job for me. my question was more based in what exactly would conflict with the purpose of the fast -- either protein intake, etc. i haven't done a fast before, so i don't want to go through it if little things i do are going to diminish it.

IronFist
10-14-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
fast

Hippie!!!! :p :p :p

j/k dude :D

rubthebuddha
10-14-2003, 09:25 PM
already had one dude banned this week. i'm game for another. :mad:

:p and yes, i do live in western washington state. it supposedly rains here all the time (even though places like houston get more rainfall in a year than we do), and one thing it rains here is hippies.

blooming lotus
10-15-2003, 12:50 AM
I often fast for a detox, and go mainly clear fluids ( but make sure you've got a good 1- 2kg cushion). What I want to know is for traditional baga fast / cleanse, what's the limit there.. ie..? protein content and are sugars ok and if so what sort...glucose..fruictose..what's most effective there? My usual plan is copious lemon juicegreen tea mornin coffee ( saachrine or equal) and plenty of water for up to four days pending toxicity???

Vyvial
10-15-2003, 07:28 AM
rubthebuddha, what would be the purpose of the fast. cleansing? spiritual? diet? or just being a hippy?

I do protein shake "fasts" a few times a month but they are still considered food so... I also do Tea "fasts", I have done fruit juice fasts for about a week but not in many years.

rubthebuddha
10-15-2003, 08:25 AM
vyvers -- cleansing. my spiritual perspective wouldn't even notice if i fast, and hippies to me are just a novelty.

[mutiny] yeah, gene, i said it. novelty. [/mutiny}

:D

Tak
10-15-2003, 08:37 AM
If you supplement with protein shakes, are you even really fasting?

<edit>My opinion: No.</edit>

rubthebuddha
10-15-2003, 08:41 AM
that's one of the questions i'm asking. :)

Vyvial
10-15-2003, 12:10 PM
There are many ways to do it but here's how I did my week long fasts....

I would drink fasting tea, de tox tea, Asian dieter's tea, something like that every day throughout the day.

I would start Mon drinking protein shakes juiced vegtables and soft fruits.
Tues I would drink juiced vegetables and fruit juice
Wed I would have fruit juice
Thurs more fruit juice
Fri more fruit juice
Sat I would start adding some vegetable juice with the fruit juice
Sun I would have protein soft fruit and vegetable juice.
Mon back to normal food.

I did it in this manner to have it be much less of a shock to my system, the fruit and vegetables were organic (less toxins), I juiced them myself to save money and for better quality. Also be ready to take a few showers a day, brush your teeth a lot and drink enough water to make you pee about every hour.... the toxins got to go somewhere, and they will come out your pores!

If I'm trying to cut weight while lifting, I'll have one or two days a week with nothing but good quality low carb protein shakes that day.

This is just an example of how I did it and was very happy with my results and how I felt.

rubthebuddha
10-15-2003, 01:11 PM
thanks buddy.

what's the purpose of drinking fruit and veggie juices as opposed to the solid form?

also, at what school do you study in austin?

Vyvial
10-15-2003, 01:19 PM
In theory, it helps prepare your stomache for the change in diet. From hard food to soft to liquid and back. So you don't get gassy and bathroom problems if you know what I mean?

Vyvial
10-15-2003, 01:21 PM
oh yeah, the school I study at, is in Richmond, VA. It is Moy Yat Kung Fu RVA

rubthebuddha
10-15-2003, 01:27 PM
i get gassy no matter what i eat. :D

thanks for the advice, though. i just changed my workout routine substantially last night. i plan on doing a fast like the one you suggested once my body is in with the change in workout.

during the fast, do you eat a minimal amount of fruit and veggies, or did you eat all you wanted, or somewhere in between?

and what the heck are you doing in austin? :confused:

Vyvial
10-15-2003, 01:32 PM
I limited my intake maybe about 6-700 calories a day but when you drink that much water and tea, you probably won't be too hungry.

have fun and play lots of forms, that's what I did.

I have my own school here in Austin, look down at link...;)

inic
10-15-2003, 03:50 PM
errr, When i say fasting, i mean no eating. I think if you eat or drink, its not really fasting (ok, so you can drink water).
If you really want to fast. Eat about a stick of butter the day before you eat (get the organic, unsalted cream type if you can) then take 2 spoonfuls of cod liver oil. Those 2 combined will cleanse out your colon REAL good. you'll be on the toilet for like 30 min. Drink lots of water and maybe some more butter/oil the morning of the fast. I fast about 2x a month for 24-36 hours ( no eating at all). Imo, drinking fruit/veggie drinks kinda defeats the purpose, cause you can just juice the solids...

bigdoing
10-15-2003, 08:14 PM
Where to start?

I belive a good question was raised as to why the fast?

If it is for health reasons, then a juice fast is very good.

If it is for weight loss reasons, then a protien shake a day is probably a good idea because your muscle mass wouldnt be eaten away for fuel.

If it is for spiritual reasons, thats a whole other story and there are a lot of saftey factorys to think of when doing a prolonged water fast.

Buddha, Christ, Mohammed, Ghandi, Indian Yogis...all participated in water fast for spiritual journey. Before they did, they undertook meditation, prayer, mantra, and re-adjusted diet before they did this becasue of the shock to the system if not.

Heavy Metal toxins rush from the system at an alarming rate when a water fast is done. Past Virus and Infections are purged, the mind is cleared and the vibration of the cellular structure is elevated. Communication with higher level beings is now acessable to those who have done the proper initiations.

Juice fasting is great for the body to catch up on cleansing the whole intestinal tract. It gives a chance for the bowels to clean themselves and excess protien and fats are eaten away instead of festering in the body. If the bowels are dirty (of course there is always fecal matter, but it passes quickly in a healthy bowel) meaning putrifying matter, then that is absorbed into the blood stream and the all matters of life become confused and cloudy.

Try to do day fast on juice, one day a week for a month.
Then increase it to two days, make a cycle so your body can handle a juice fast for a week.

Also, try to drink raw organic juice, from a juicer.
At least organic.

Normal Juice is Pasturized, so all the vitamins and minerals are killed so to speak.

I would not use a multi vitamin unless organic plant source.

peace

bigdoing
10-15-2003, 08:15 PM
saftey factors, not factorys.

lol

Stranger
10-15-2003, 09:17 PM
No food, no drink (even water) for 24 hours once a week. This is what I was taught. I find a complete fast for 24 hours not too difficult, but once a week is where it gets to be a challenge.