PDA

View Full Version : Taiki-ken

Stranger
10-14-2003, 09:11 PM
As I understand it, this style has a good following in Japan and is well respected within the martial art community of that country.

Has this art made any inroads into the US? If so, where can it be found? If not, why is this so?

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-14-2003, 09:29 PM
I think any art will be slow to spread from Japan to the rest of the world.

I know quiet a few CMA & CMA-derived styles that are widely spread in Japan but hardly known outside of Japan.
Many seem to spread to the asia pacific region rather than the USA and Europe.

One reason for this is the lack of non-japanese students to spread the art worldwide, or japanese teachers moving overseas and opening a school there.

Example:
I think the biggest following of Chen Xiao Jia TJQ outside of China is in japan, one reason for this is that one of the lineage holders is living in Tokyo at the moment.

Till those arts get students that are willing to live/work in a foreign country and absorb the art and become good teachers and than take the art back to their home-country and teach it it will be long time, but I think that there are opportunitues there and that many japanese teachers would like to see their arts spread more globally.

Jim Roselando
10-15-2003, 06:24 AM
Hello,

Taiki Ken was founded by Kenichi Sawei. It is his version of the Yi Chuan art he learned from Wang Xiang Zhai.

Yi Chuan can be found many places.

Regards,

Stranger
10-15-2003, 03:39 PM
Anything in the Washington DC area?

How about Boston?

How about Boulder?

Buddy
10-18-2003, 09:08 PM
You could come see me in Plymouth, maybe with one of my students. But I'm nowhere near Nashville. If you're in the Boston area and want to learn something useful just write me.
Night,
Buddy
Really I have a small bit of skill that you may find useful. Contact me and I'll do a workshop in your area. Its no great shakes but you'll maybe get to meet some top IMA guys.
Just a thought

Stranger
10-19-2003, 09:45 AM
Buddy,

I've had your website bookmarked for months now, as I respect what you say on this forum and at emptyflower, and I respect your training background. I asked about different cities because I am at a career crossroads in my life, and there is a strong possiblity of relocating to one of the cities I mentioned. I asked about Taiki-ken and the different cites because Jim's response made it sound like yiquan was everywhere. I have only found it in a few places using the web as a resource tool. How far is Boston from Plymouth?

Buddy
10-19-2003, 03:15 PM
I'm sure I don't need to say this but I wouldn't put studying with me too high on your list for reasons to move. Boston is a nice town, though as long as you don't mind sports and politics junkies. Boston is about 50 miles from here but most of my guys come from up there. I think you're going to be hard pressed to find ANY Taikiken. Obviously if you know about me, you know my main love is Gao style baguazhang. My KF brother George is in the DC area and his skill is much better than mine.
Buddy

Jim Roselando
10-20-2003, 09:41 AM
Hello,

If you are looking for Taiki-Ken in Boston you wont find that but there are some people practicing Yi Quan posts privately. If you are interested I could ask if they would be intereted in sharing with you?

You can also check into some of the Yi Quan web sites for links to some associated clubs of their organization!

http://members.surfeu.fi/yiquan/e-index.htm

Regards,