PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion on a Muay Thai/BJJ School in Toronto

ElPietro
10-23-2001, 09:23 PM
Hey guys this is probably best answered by those who live in toronto. I am thinking of joining a place, I believe it's called Ultimate Thai Fighter gym, or it could be Siam (not sure of the rest. It's in Scarborough right by the Scarborough town centre.

The place was founded by Kru Paul Minhas and BJJ is taught by Omar Salvosa (who is taught by Marcus Soares)

Here is the website www.ultimatethaiboxing.com/ (http://www.ultimatethaiboxing.com/)

If any of you have any input into this school or pros or cons on whether I should join or not it would be appreciated.

They talk a bit about Gary Goodridge on the site I think he trains, or used to train there. Not 100% sure though.

Anyway, I like it because the school teaches a few different things such as Muay Thai, BJJ and also NHB grappling when you are at the intermediate level. Along with around 10 heavy bags and a decent gym to train in the price is a steal. So if anyone has heard any positive or negative feedback that would be cool if you could pass it along.

Watchman
10-24-2001, 03:19 AM
You should also ask this question over at www.mixedmartialarts.com (http://www.mixedmartialarts.com) in the Underground Forum.

You may catch someone who trains there.

tigerking
10-27-2001, 12:56 AM
Hello ElPietro!

I train daily at Siam Ultimate, and it's great. Have you been there yet? They're offering a week free training for those interested. The owner, Kru Paul Minhas is a really nice guy, and the manager, Kru Ansel, happens to be my good friend, and he's also cool. The place is decent, you're right, and the price is phenominal - around $65 a month for unlimited use of gym and several classes a week! Right now I do strictly Muay Thai, so I haven't met Omar or any of the Rebellion Jiu-Jitsu team (they train on tuesday and thursday nights).
You should go check it out, and try it for a session or two - you don't have anything to lose, and the training is wicked - if you like hardcore. Gary Goodridge does train there occasionally, and several NHB notables have stopped by for a training session or two. This is a place that breeds champions, so if you've think you've got the stuff, give it a shot.

:cool:

to the Victor goes the Spoils

ElPietro
10-27-2001, 06:09 PM
Hey thanks for the response. I went over there after work on friday and took a quick look around. I will probably come for a week starting monday. The only thing that would potentially keep me from joining is checking out a school called Siam #1 under Master Suchart who apparently is a renowned MT practitioner and his students seem to do well under him. Although I liked the environment when I visited Ultimate so I am leaning towards training there.

KnightSabre
10-31-2001, 01:17 PM
I would go for the school that teaches both Muay Thai and BJJ,thats what my school teaches,although we mix Muay Thai with some JKD concepts.Don't miss out on BJJ though,once you've tried it you're hooked.

"You're Good Kid Real Good,But As Long As I'm Arround You'll Always Be Second Best See".

ElPietro
10-31-2001, 05:03 PM
Hey Tigerking who all teaches the classes? I've been for two, monday and tuesday this week and there was a different instructor each time. They both seemed young. One guy I don't remember his name...the other guy i think his name was Rob. Does Paul teach? I don't know what he looks like so don't know if he was there when I was. I go to the 6:30 lessons.

tigerking
10-31-2001, 09:05 PM
The reason why you don't see Paul is he is only there in the early afternoon, opening. He teaches only fighter's classes too. I've met the other instructors but I forgot their names - I've never seen them in action because they train at night. You can catch me 5 days a week from 12-3pm...it's a lot less hectic than at night...usually only 3-6 people, so a lot of focussed attention.

How do you like it so far?

The Tigerking

ElPietro
11-01-2001, 05:26 AM
I love it. I met Paul tonight...he was in the ring for a bit then introduced himself afterwards. Yeah I got the same answer that he does class during the day. So I guess it sucks to be me since I work regular business hours. This is completely different from what my kungfu training was about. Really good conditioning, I leave each night with skinned bleeding knuckles, beat red shins and scabbed up knee. So basically it's exactly what I was looking for. ;)

It would be good if I could train during the day but I doubt that'll happen much. Oh well things are going well...I'll sign up next week, and maybe in 5-6 months try to incorporate BJJ into my training as well.

Take care.

tkmt
12-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Toronto’s largest and elite Muay Thai Kickboxing / BJJ / MMA gym is about to unveil in the spring of 2008! Toronto Kickboxing & Muay Thai Academy (TKMT) and White Tiger Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu will join forces at 610 Queen St. W. to bring you two floors with a combined total of 12,000 sq ft, fully equipped with a proshop, juice bar, boxing ring, heavy bags, grappling mats, octagon, weights and all other equipment for superior training. Our gym has heat and air conditioning, and is very clean, spacious and bright.

For those seeking top-notch instruction and/or competition opportunities, we have several elite instructors that will bring your game to the next level:

Ajahn Amnat Yodkwain – A Muay Thai master from Thailand. The most experienced Thai boxer in Canada, with over 90 professional fights at Lumpini and Ratcha****oen stadiums in Bangkok. His Muay Thai is authentic and very technical, and he can elevate anyone’s striking and stand up game to the next level.

Guilherme Cardozo – A professional MMA fighter from Curitiba, Brazil. He was trained under the legendary Carlson Gracie in BJJ and Katel “The Blade” Kubis in Muay Thai. He holds a purple belt in BJJ and his Brazilian fight records include 7 wins and 1 loss in Muay Thai, 6 wins and 1 loss in BJJ tournaments and winner of the 2004 Paranaense de jiu-jitsu tournament and 2 wins and 1 loss in MMA / Vale Tudo. He is great instructor for improving your overall game and for building solid MMA cardio and conditioning.

Mark Stables – The legendary grappler / BJJ instructor in the GTA. He won a bronze medal at the 2004 Copa do Mundo (World Cup) in the light heavyweight division in Brazil and will soon be awarded his black belt this year from Marcus Soares. Mark has the reputation for being an excellent and very technical BJJ instructor.

Victor Bachmann – An up and coming MMA fighter originally from Edmonton, and was a strong member of the University of Alberta wrestling team. He currently fights in several leagues, including King of the Cage, and holds a professional MMA record of 4 wins and 1 loss. His strengths include the clinch, takedowns and ground and pound, and he will teach you to be more competent in those areas. You can check out his profile on Sherdog:

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?search=yes&FighterID=19646

And finally, you can check out our websites for more information:

http://www.tkmt.ca and http://www.bjj.ca

Seppukku
12-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Do you guys teach any traditional arts? I mean, something legitimate that will work in the street? I don't believe in Muay Thai's effectiveness, because most people have strong legs and a leg kick won't hurt them. Plus, if you mess up your knee you're going to lose, and knees are easy to block.

Something like Atemi-Jutsu.