PDA

View Full Version : knife fighting resource

Falcor
10-15-2003, 02:32 PM
Could someone point me to any good books or videos that they'd recommend that focuses on knife fighting? Thanks.

ShaolinTiger00
10-15-2003, 02:47 PM
Gutterfighting (http://www.gutterfighting.org/)

Kristoffer
10-15-2003, 03:01 PM
nice

norther practitioner
10-15-2003, 03:04 PM
Cool, thanks for the link..:D

Black Jack
10-15-2003, 04:37 PM
ShaolinTiger-

Yeah, that be the money, good choice.

Mmmmmmm......................Styers.

For video's there is Keating's stuff as well as Worden's. There is Hock's material plus a TON of kali stuff, everything from the krombit to the bolo, depends what you are looking for.

MonkeySlap Too
10-15-2003, 05:02 PM
Don't care much for Keating or Worden's stuff. Tho' I like Keating more than Worden.

Check out: Serak.com and Kuntaosilat.com

I am also impressed by the Sayoc Kali guys - though I have not met them, my Kuntao teacher has. Likes them lots.

Also search for Marc 'Animal' MacYoung.

Lameco Escrima also rocks from a training methodology stand point.

rogue
10-15-2003, 06:59 PM
Don't care much for Keating or Worden's stuff. Tho' I like Keating more than Worden. Just wondering why?

For my limited knife fighting needs Hock fills the bill nicely.

Black Jack
10-15-2003, 07:13 PM
I have met and trained with a Sayoc Kali teacher and some of my silat bro's play around with Sayoc kali as well. I don't know why I did not mention that art in specific. I guess I just lumped it in there with the other kali stuff.

I also like Keating much more than Wordern but I also really like Bowie stuff so that may be why. Hock's knife stuff is pretty good in the format that its laid out. It is really just stripped down Remy Presas arnis/balintawak and military combatives.

I have not seen the serak or Uncle Bill's Kun tao silat knife work but from the high praise I hear about both arts I would wager it is very good.

Dark Knight
10-16-2003, 09:50 AM
Check out Scott Sonnons videos. Everone who owns large video collections say its one of the best (2 tape series)

http://www.rmax.tv/bayonet.html

He has posted a review from www.bladeforums.com

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=193719

I own a couple tapes on knife fighting, Green Dragons single double edge knife, Paul Vunaks, a couple low level crappy ones and This one - Bayonet. Scotts will give you more guidance than the others, tons of information and very painful. You will not be dissapointed

Falcor
10-16-2003, 09:52 AM
What are all the differences between the different Kali and other FMA knife fighting styles? Is it more of a difference in teaching methology or are the actual techniques uniquely different? Also, if one were strapped for cash (like myself) and wanted to get _one_video or book to get started with, which one would you recommend? Thanks.

Dark Knight
10-16-2003, 10:02 AM
One cheap video? Paul Vunaks from Panther. Its old but pretty good.

But try to get the $99.00 for Scott Sonnons,

From the review
"Tape A here doesn't really have new moves to learn but it explains a lot of the FMA, RMA, and Silat theories behind some common moves. You get a depth of explanation as to why you do or don't do a move.

This tape isn't for beginners and is pretty much gold for advanced folks particularly the Sayoc crowd. Knifecraft, Drawpoint, ABC, Systema, and Worden's Personal Knife series go well with Tape A
Blauer's VIP Knife & Grappling tape, Maffei's Reality of Edged Weapons, and Latosa Escrima to a lesser extent."

He goes into coaching you instead of teaching you techniques. He throws a ton of techniques on drills out there, but states not to learn the techniques but the theory and understand how to use the knife.

ShaolinTiger00
10-16-2003, 10:07 AM
This tape isn't for beginners and is pretty much gold for advanced folks particularly the Sayoc crowd. Knifecraft, Drawpoint, ABC, Systema, and Worden's Personal Knife series go well with Tape A

Which is exactly the stuff I want to avoid. Maybe I'm a bear of little brain.. I want it SIMPLE. - ex- "kill or be killed", defendu etc..

fancy knifework reminds me of jkd. wonderful in idea, woeful in application.

if there was a time when simple, instinctive movementes, were ever needed, this would be the time..

Taomonkey
10-16-2003, 10:29 AM
check out paladin press and Mike Janich

Black Jack
10-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Old savate/zipota has some cool knife work in it as well.

ShaolinTiger- What....you mean....you don't want to try to memorize 8,000,000 different angles of attack??

K.I.S.S-Keep it Simple Savage.

ShaolinTiger00
10-17-2003, 08:09 AM
Exactly.

Show me 5 of 6 blocks or parries that I can use and let me drill them till I puke..

MonkeySlap Too
10-17-2003, 09:12 AM
Heh, Don't care for Janich either.

If you want it 'simple' look at Close Quarter military things like Fairbain / Sikes or Krav Maga.

If you want to learn how to survive a knife fight, check out Serak, Kuntao, Sayoc, Lameco, Pekita Tirsia, Dog Brothers, or items in that vein.

Beware, that like anything there are some real charlatans out there posing as the 'real' deal.

Knife fighting is no room for fantasy, so I get more opinionated...

BlackJack - my problems with Keating / Worden is that they misrepresent themselves at times. Personally, I don' care for what I've seen of Worden's stuff - he looks like the legion of Kenpo guys that took Arnis, which is not a bad thing, I just think there are better, more knowledgeable teachers...but that is MY opinion. He may have skills I haven't seen, and I have NEVER met him, only seen video, and received second-hand data - SO I COULD BE WRONG. I hate to dis somebody without that caveat.

Keating just seems more practical. His practice is less 'fancy' than Wordens. They do pretty much the same stuff, but of the two, I think he can teach you how to fight without getting lost in the intricacies of lots of different 'moves.'

THe above stuff is just opinion - I feel it is important to sight that, as the internet makes it very easy to **** people when you are only talking about a narrow sliver of observation.

Both of these guys p!ssed off my teacher, but such is life, eh?

Shaolin-Do
10-17-2003, 09:20 AM
"Your shoelace is untied"
Yeah... I heard that one last night. Not funny.
;)

Black Jack
10-17-2003, 09:28 AM
Its funny.

One mans savior maybe another guys charlatan. Knowledge seems to be one of those critters which is a glimmer of many different experiances put together. In the world of knife combative training there are a lot of different viewpoints on what is the best way.

From my point of view a good traditional start would be for a person to get some training in a filipino, indo, malay, or other south-east asian or indo-chinese methodology that has more of a direct blade focus.

Take that and strip it down.

btw- Is not the dog brothers knife material Sayoc kali?

Chris_McKinley
10-17-2003, 09:42 AM
The original post was about knife fighting resources, not necessarily videos specifically. THE best knife fighting resource is regular instruction. I'm not keen on knife books, and even the best vids serve best as reference material for the knowledgeable rather than instruction for the uninitiate.

My best suggestion is to look around on all the blade forums and do a search for a knife fighting club or a school that offers such instruction in your area. As an instructor myself, I know I can give someone more in a half hour of personal instruction than they can get from a hundred videos. So can any other good instructor. Take advantage of that fact and invest where the real return is. :)