PDA

View Full Version : Lat Sao

couch
10-15-2003, 03:45 PM
Can somebody take the time to explain this Lat Sao business? I don't think we do it in the senior levels!

Thanks,
Couch

curtis
10-15-2003, 04:02 PM
Hello there was a big write up a month ago.
the thread was called chii soa or lat soa. the thread starter was vyuial, there were 43 replys, but the star of the show was KathyJo. she did a verry nice job explaining lat soa to me.
perhaps you can check out the thread first, and then take your thread in the direction you chose.
sincererly . C.A.G.

John Weiland
10-24-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by couch
Can somebody take the time to explain this Lat Sao business? I don't think we do it in the senior levels!

Thanks,
Couch
Hi Couch,

I can't validate the practice, but lut sao as described sounds like free "fighting." In other words not starting engaged in Wing Chun.

I don't understand the purpose in "practicing" it, as when I have no bridge, I make one.

Regards,

KingMonkey
10-24-2003, 08:55 AM
I don't understand the purpose in "practicing" it, as when I have no bridge, I make one.
Lol - You make it all sound so easy.
Making first contact on your own terms is very important and not at all easy. Lat sao can help with this.

funsau
10-24-2003, 09:42 AM
John is correct, it should be "Lut Sao" in Cantonese. Hands/brigdes are not touching. It is more like sparring. This is mainly used to practice your entry techniques and foot-works. There is a saying from Yip Man: "Lut Sao keen Kung Fu", which means you will see the real Kung Fu in Lut Sao.

John Weiland
10-24-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by funsau
John is correct, it should be "Lut Sao" in Cantonese. Hands/brigdes are not touching. It is more like sparring. This is mainly used to practice your entry techniques and foot-works. There is a saying from Yip Man: "Lut Sao keen Kung Fu", which means you will see the real Kung Fu in Lut Sao.
Hi funsau,

I agree that what's called here as "lat/lut sao" is more like sparring. I wonder about the Cantonese meaning of lut sao though and the origin of the term. Most of us in Yip Man's lineage say "Lut sau, jick chung," "When contact is broken, charge forward." Lut means "release," not implying starting from non-contact.

Other than terminology though, it's probably good to practice dealing from non-contact at least occasionally.

Regards,

funsau
10-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Ahh "Lut sau, jick chung". Yes it is the same "Lut". But the meaning is slight altered. "Lut" in this content means you are away from your opponent and/or not contacting your opponent. It would be very tough to "jick chung", charge in. Your opponent will try his/her best not to let you do that. I mean you still could "jick chung", but you might get hit if not doing it right.

During chi sau, you already close and somewhat contacting your opponent, therefore, your hand/bridge, could "jick chung" somewhat easier.

Sifu Ben will give you a better definition of "Lut Sau keen Kung Fu".

Keng Geng
10-24-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by KingMonkey
Making first contact on your own terms is very important and not at all easy. Sure it's that easy, depending on what "your own terms" means. To some it means ridiculous notions of lap da to bridge the gap. "Lat sau" training surely won't help much there...

As for contact on your own terms, simply an impenetrable structure will do, whilst you throw your hands up in any which way you like.