PDA

View Full Version : Strategy

Starchaser107
10-16-2003, 10:46 AM
This thread is intended specifically for the purposes of Strategy as it relates to the martial arts. In a sense one could assume that if this thread is successful it might be percieved as a collection of secrets. On the other hand if it divulges on a path I had not intended, at the very least it should be fun. As is the case with threads here I wish it a long life.

So firstly I will commence:
__________________________________________________ __
When in a weakened state from a struggle even if it seems that all is hopeless , never give up. And I mean never ..ever , At all, because just as you are suffering the other/s might/should be suffering as well. Therefore bear in mind that it takes but one simple mistake on the opposing side to turn the tides, be watchful and mindful of all things, and take into account your strengths and weaknessess in such a desperate time. Even the most unyielding has a fatal flaw , learn what it is and exploit it.

apoweyn
10-20-2003, 10:16 AM
Concentrate on your footwork. Putting yourself where you need to be. Technique is secondary to placement, to my mind.

Stuart B.

shaolin kungfu
10-20-2003, 08:26 PM
completely agree with AP.

Position should be the main focus

Kempo Guy
10-22-2003, 09:25 AM
Here are a few basic ones...

- Breath! From my experience people tend to tense and restrict breathing (or hold their breath) during confrontations. So, when training make sure to focus on breathing. (breath in through the nose, exhale through the mouth)
- Relax. This ties into the above… if you’re tense you can’t maneuver well. Smile, it will keep you relaxed (which will help you move better and mentally relax)
- keep your body structure, i.e. keep the spine straight (some may say keep your center / keep good form, it’s all the same). this means that movement is required to keep your center maintained as you work on keeping your shoulders and hips parallel to the ground.

The above are fairly obvious principles but generally hard to maintain. These should never manifest in isolation because if you lack one component the other principles break down…

KG

Kempo Guy
10-22-2003, 11:45 AM
Here are a few others:

- economy of motion. That means don’t use more force than is necessary to apply a technique. And you should train to be able to move your body just enough to avoid an attack, i.e. not to over commit with your defensive move as this will make you vulnerable to counters.

- one part of the body may be moved while others relax but it should never be separated from the actions of the other parts

- never move just for the sake of moving

- trust your intuition when moving to strike, i.e. don't think so much (don’t second guess yourself).

- Time your actions to the landing of their feet. When their feet reach the ground, it’s harder for them to switch direction (as they are already committed to the attack) and they can be manipulated and easily put off balance.

- move smoothly; i.e. keep moving rather than stopping a movement and resetting before the next strike. Instead think of it as the end of one movement is the beginning of the next. This requires improvisation skills in case one counter fails you need to immediately move into another.

- use the full range of motion of your joints in order to maximize power. The goal is to make your body as supple and malleable as soft plastic or rubber.

KG