PDA

View Full Version : I have lost my soul!

Vyvial
10-16-2003, 04:40 PM
Everywhere I looked, people were doing it even members of my own family. I broke down... maybe it was the propaganda... maybe the peer pressure. I don't know. As the money was being handed over I knew I was losing a piece of myself forever.

I bought Mastering Kung Fu.

canglong
10-16-2003, 05:44 PM
Vyvial,
That part of you which you lost, ego. The return you get for your effort priceless. Enjoy and be sure to join in on the discussion.

anerlich
10-16-2003, 05:50 PM
That part of you which you lost, ego. The return you get for your effort priceless.

I bought the book too. But the "priceless" bit remains to be seen.

canglong
10-16-2003, 06:21 PM
Anerlich,
I am sure you will enjoy the book and find it a must have for your training but I think you more so than others will require lots of Hou Chyun San Sau training. You just seem to be more of a hands on type of practicioner so I invision you looking for a HFY seminar emmidiately upon completing the book. Until that seminar enjoy the book and look forward to seeing you join the discussion over at hfy108.com as well.

Vyvial
10-16-2003, 06:24 PM
wow, I'm actually waiting here for Anerlich's reply to this one! I hope it's as surly as the rest!

ZIM
10-16-2003, 06:40 PM
I have lost my soul! psssst...check behind the sofa....

anerlich
10-16-2003, 06:57 PM
Hou Chyun San Sau

Which is what exactly? And why do I need it? Will it fix my third chakra blockage Hendrik Santo diagnosed remotely?

It sounds like what I had with my noodles for lunch yesterday.

Oh wait, I know ... "you really should buy the book and read it before ..." Well, I've bought it so I'm half way there, cowboy.

You just seem to be more of a hands on type of practicioner so I invision you looking for a HFY seminar emmidiately upon completing the book.

I'm sure the 13 odd USD the book cost me will be money well spent, the several thousand I'd have to spend on a trip to SF or Arizona from Sydney much less likely.

I was inspired to attend Scott Sonnon's and Jean-Jacques Machado's seminars after reading about them, but then they came to Sydney.

It's also just possible that everything I need to succeed in MA is right here in Oz. So far (though I haven't got the book! but I've ordered it!) I've seen and heard nothing from anyone to make me feel different.

The book may well be the last word on WC (from what some have said, that would be a gross understatement :rolleyes: )and if I think it is I'll eat humble pie.

But, that remains to be seen, for me.

Vyvial, a guy I worked for once nicknamed me "Surly Nerly". Guess it fits, huh?

Vyvial
10-16-2003, 08:23 PM
The guy I work for sometimes calls me surly also... so i guess we got something in common

anerlich
10-16-2003, 08:46 PM
(Sickly music in background)

It's a small world after all ....

(Sorry :D )

Savi
10-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Vyvial, in a sense what I gather from your first post in this thread, you have lost the part of you unwilling to waiver. Thus, a new energy takes its place; perhaps one of wonder.

What may be priceless is based on your own values and perception. I think Anerlich thought Canglong meant the book as being priceless; and to Canglong (or anyone) it may be priceless - but we don't know that. Again I think the 'priceless' part mentioned by Canglong is anything you see worth growing from. I think that is what he really meant.

From an old poem of mine:

"Things come and things go.
We accept it as we grow.

We know life when we know death.
It is no different than our breath.

From shadow to light and yin to yang;
The truth came out, a song it sang.

A flower grows comes springtime."

Savi
10-16-2003, 09:06 PM
"Hou Chyun Saan Sau"

This, Anerlich, is the method of being taught directly from your Sifu with guidance and direction, supplimented with physical experience to further your understanding of the oral teaching.

The oral teaching alone can only take you so far. The physical training alone can only get you so far. A person needs both to balance out the mental understanding and the physical understanding. Thus having the mind, body and spirit united (in harmony).

Canglong was pointing to Hou Chyun Saan Sau so as not to mislead anybody reading this forum with the impression that one can learn HFY from a book.

planetwc
10-16-2003, 09:22 PM
If nothing else, you'll be able to put faces to some of the well known HFY folks who post here regularly.

I've seen Chango, Savi, JK, and many more while riffing through the pages on opening it.

On face value, there appears to be a lot of material about many of HFY's key concepts explained in detail. I expect we'll all have a better idea once we've all collectively finished reading our copies of the book.

Vyvial
10-16-2003, 09:27 PM
um the book may be cool an all but do all HFY guys start talking like hippies?

Savi
10-16-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Vyvial
um the book may be cool an all but do all HFY guys start talking like hippies? HA HA HA!!!! I laugh at myself! The answer is no. But then again, what is your understanding of a 'hippie'? Hmmm.... wonder replaces ego yet again....

Perhaps you should ask this question on hfy108 instead? Or perhaps you are searching for an answer from non-hfy practitioners?

Vyvial
10-16-2003, 09:48 PM
no, I was just making myself laugh, cuz I think I'm really funny sometimes. I could ask on HFY108 but I don't think it's really worth the effort to repeat.

:D

--Aaron

blooming lotus
10-16-2003, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by anerlich
[B]

Which is what exactly? And why do I need it? Will it fix my third chakra blockage Hendrik Santo diagnosed remotely?

Oh wait, I know ... "you really should buy the book and read it before ..." Well, I've bought it so I'm half way there, cowboy.

I'm sure the 13 odd USD the book cost me will be money well spent, the several thousand I'd have to spend on a trip to SF or Arizona from Sydney much less likely.

I was inspired to attend Scott Sonnon's and Jean-Jacques Machado's seminars after reading about them, but then they came to Sydney.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anerlich, dude..you are so right!! australia has so much information and facilities available that it is easy for a dedicant to acheive a very high skill level, I know I lived there over 20 yrs and have recently left for china. sometimes you get to a point where nothing replaces that authenticism... what do I say about that. Did you know that the shaolin monastery Wushu institue at tagou just outside of deng feng ( shaolin si , Zhengzhou ))charges us$24 / day accom and full days training included? How crazy is that? They have over 7 000 students, but with that many how easy is it to get lost in the crowd and do nothing but train (at that price?!!) for 3 - 6mths...worthy trip.. I dunno...that's where I'll be for some time.

Pls see Shaolin_kungfu.com or www.shaolin1500.com

anerlich
10-16-2003, 10:24 PM
This, Anerlich, is the method of being taught directly from your Sifu with guidance and direction, supplimented with physical experience to further your understanding of the oral teaching.

Thanks for the explanation. Canglong was incorrect in his estimation that I have somehow missed out on this. Anyone who knows my Sifu and me would, I'm sure, agree.

Canglong was pointing to Hou Chyun Saan Sau so as not to mislead anybody reading this forum with the impression that one can learn HFY from a book.

I never considered in my wildest dreams/nightmares that HFY could be learned from a book. Though judnig from some recent posts one the subject, if there ever was to be such a book this would be it, seeing as it shatters so many other boundaries and precedents.

If that was the point of canglong's post he made it in an extremely oblique way. And rather than being addressed to "anybody reading this forum", it was addressed to me. Maybe he could post again and clarify exactly what he meant. I can deal with words of several syllables, but not obtuseness and arcane references.

Someone less charitable than I might even consider that he was trying to talk down to me using big words and arcane terminology. Imagine!

I can't see the book having many jokes in it. It appears that few HFY people have a sense of humour.

anerlich
10-16-2003, 10:27 PM
Blooming Lotus,

hope your stay in China is interesting and enjoyable.

blooming lotus
10-16-2003, 10:43 PM
cheers!

has been and will no doubt contiue to be ;) ;)

canglong
10-16-2003, 10:59 PM
Anerlich,
whoa man you over analized that one I was just saying that after reading the book you will no doubt naturally want to put into practice or test the HFY theories and methods, secondly you may want to hear some of your questions answered first hand at a possible seminar in Australia which is more for my benefit than yours since I have yet to visit down under. Happy reading.

anerlich
10-16-2003, 11:41 PM
Happy reading.

I'm sure that will be the outcome. Maybe even the (spoken with heavy echo) "paradigm shift" (echo off) Chango and you other guys keep talking about.

All too much seriousness and angst. Can't a guy take a good natured dig at (admittedly not THAT bad) hype about a book?

Savi
10-16-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by canglong
Anerlich,
whoa man you over analized that one I was just saying that after reading the book you will no doubt naturally want to put into practice or test the HFY theories and methods, secondly you may want to hear some of your questions answered first hand at a possible seminar in Australia which is more for my benefit than yours since I have yet to visit down under. Happy reading. Agreed Canglong, I was trying to paraphrase what you said from my perspective. Perhaps it was me who was unclear rather than you. Yet as I have been accused of "standing on a pedestal" before, some people don't know what it is they are standing on. Shrug...

Anerlich, though this treads away from topic, I know Canglong much better than you do. We train together under Sifu Loewenhagen. Canglong is quite a direct person; honest yet humble at heart. Though you may not like his linguistics, he doesn't BS around the bush. The bottom line is, I'm sure we all can appreciate those who are straight forward and clear rather than implicative. If you're unsure of a comment, why not just ask for a clarification rather than cut it short?

canglong
10-16-2003, 11:58 PM
I just started Chapter seven on Chum Kiu and Science this too good to stay here and chat so I bid all adu until next time, play right.

anerlich
10-17-2003, 02:02 AM
why not just ask for a clarification rather than cut it short?

I did ask for a clarification from him, and got one. Maybe if you stopped trying to hold canglong's hand, which he doesn't need, he and I would communicate better. Your involvement was unnecessary and IMO on balance detrimental. Save your condescending tone for the gullible.

I'm sure he does just fine in class without your constant assistance, same would seem to apply here.

I'm looking forward to reading the book, and finding out about HFY from the organ grinders rather than the monkeys.

I'm way past DONE with this discussion. Hasta la vista.

Savi
10-17-2003, 10:11 AM
Sorry Vyvial, I feel it is necessary to clear up what has gone on here. Regardless of Anerlich's parting here, things must come to a close. From my perspective, the following is a summary of the conversation held by Canglong, Anerlich, and myself.

Originally posted by Canglong
Anerlich,
I am sure you will enjoy the book and find it a must have for your training but I think you more so than others will require lots of Hou Chyun San Sau training. You just seem to be more of a hands on type of practicioner so I invision you looking for a HFY seminar emmidiately upon completing the book. Until that seminar enjoy the book and look forward to seeing you join the discussion over at hfy108.com as well.
Originally posted by anerlich

Originally posted by Savi
"Hou Chyun Saan Sau"

Thanks for the explanation. Canglong was incorrect in his estimation that I have somehow missed out on this. Anyone who knows my Sifu and me would, I'm sure, agree.
Originally posted by Savi
If you're unsure of a comment, why not just ask for a clarification rather than cut it short?
I did ask for a clarification from him, and got one. Maybe if you stopped trying to hold canglong's hand, which he doesn't need, he and I would communicate better. Your involvement was unnecessary and IMO on balance detrimental. Save your condescending tone for the gullible. In following the past few posts here, I conclude that the 'supposed' condescending tone is a reflection of anerlich's own perception of my posts. Based on the last quote above, I have a much clearer understanding of how he sees things. Thanking me for an explanation, and then telling me I imbalanced the 'assumed' balance of the discussion at hand? So be it, Mouth Boxer. Mindless internet games.....

Tak
10-17-2003, 10:35 AM
(spoken with heavy echo) "paradigm shift" (echo off) Careful, if you shift paradigms too much, you'll burn out your clutch.

yuanfen
10-17-2003, 11:12 AM
but if you clutch your paradigm too much, one or both might slip out.

Vyvial
10-17-2003, 08:01 PM
Don't apologize to me, I require none. It's still a good topic and should be finished if left unended. Besides, he had his say and I'm sure he'll still be reading this even though he was done spending energy on that topic.

I still haven't started reading the book so maybe my soul won't be forfit... maybe if I stick it next to Complete Wing Chun and William Cheung's Advanced Wing Chun and the other WC books that I haven't read, I'll be okay.:p