PDA

View Full Version : Attack or counterattack...preference?

umgong
11-07-2001, 03:50 AM
When faced with a fight that you cannot escape from right away...do you tend to attack the attacker?

or counterattack the attacker?

What is your preference?

Dragon Spirit
11-07-2001, 05:07 AM
Who knows, depends on the situation I am in and what my instinct's tell me.

"I've been told a person should fight if there strong. I'm not strong, thats why I fight. I fight with myself, against myself." -The Dragon-

soy
11-07-2001, 11:54 AM
Counterattack is preferable I guess. I'd rather not fight at all.. fighting is dangerous.

I've never been in a street fight or whatever though.

fmann
11-07-2001, 06:28 PM
Just legally speaking, the pre-emptive strike doesn't qualify as self-defense in most states in the union.

Personally, if someone has beef with me, I'm not going to resort to violence unless he/she has initiated it first.

shaolinboxer
11-07-2001, 07:11 PM
Counter attack is always best, IMO, because it is a more total self defense (defense against attacker, law suits, the cop that might show up).

Budokan
11-07-2001, 08:49 PM
You don't have to get hit first to attack within the law. If you have reasonable doubt that your life or safety may be in danger then you should do something to protect said life.

If you want to play streetfighter-lawyer then more likely than not you'll soon end up dead--because the f*cknut attacking you isn't worried about whether or not he's acting inside the boundaries of the law.

K. Mark Hoover

fmann
11-07-2001, 10:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Budokan:
If you want to play streetfighter-lawyer then more likely than not you'll soon end up dead--because the f*cknut attacking you isn't worried about whether or not he's acting inside the boundaries of the law.
[/quote]

Very true. If you are definitely in a life or death situation, then the first concern is your life and/or the life of your loved ones. If the bastid is still living after you dismantle him, then luck must have smiled on him.

But I meant that if something hasn't escalated to that level, you can't just beat someone because you felt that he was going to start a fight with you first. IE., you can't just beat up drunks because you presume they're going to start trouble.

JerryLove
11-07-2001, 11:25 PM
Attack... One in the head, two in the chest (I also like one in the pelvis, takes out mechanical mobility).

http://www.clearsilat.com

ewallace
11-08-2001, 12:22 AM
Judgement call. A simple bar room encounter with a bunch of people around, counter-attack (a drunk will go down with a good shot in the stomach...except he will most likely vomit on you). If in a dark alley or field, he/she/it will most likely realized that there are not any/many witnesses to their actions...therefore attack attack attack.

Victory goes to he who makes the next-to-last mistake.

LEGEND
11-08-2001, 03:11 AM
Well this is hard to say...I would suggest drilling ATTACK or drilling counterattack based on someone hitting u once and u ATTACK him totally...like a rabid dog! Overwhelm your opponent with punches and kicks...if u're talking about fighting like ALI hitting while walking backwards...that takes SKILL.

A

Budokan
11-08-2001, 06:48 AM
That's true, you can't beat up drunks, or anyone else, just because you *think* they might start trouble.

K. Mark Hoover

David
11-09-2001, 07:28 PM
I never hit first. If I broke the peace I'd forever wonder if it was actually necessary and I'd be wracked with guilt. I really don't like hitting people - it's philosphically problematic for me.

Also, if he commits to an attack first, I get to see what he's up to whereas he hasn't a clue of what I'm going to do to him. He builds up a mental picture of me that gets shattered when I start up. That's two readjustments he has to make.

Of course, I'd be thinking of positioning and the rest without letting him know I was doing so to pass the time.

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

Jeff Liboiron
11-10-2001, 08:30 AM
I've only been in one fight, i struck first becasue there was four of them and one of me, i dion't want to wait for them to attack.

The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you

straight blast
11-10-2001, 10:58 AM
Jeff's got it right. It depends a lot on the number of attackers. I'm inclined to put my hands up in a "neutral" position, i.e. keeping a bridge between me & him so that I have enough time to tangle him up or to keep a distance between me & him. Once he makes an attacking motion toward my upraised hands (physical contact) that's assault. Then I attack.
There's no point in waitng for the first punch from point blank range. Keep your bridge up and wait for the touch. Then you can claim self defence. :cool:

"Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"