PDA

View Full Version : Kick,punch, or feint....which first?

umgong
11-07-2001, 03:49 AM
When faced with a physical confrontation...no weapons involved, and you cannot get out of it without fighting...what do you prefer to open the fight with?

Kick?
Punch?
Feint?
Wait for the attack?

curtis
11-07-2001, 12:04 PM
Hello Umgong
of course each situation is different. It depends on range and your opponent.
When confronted in this situation, I would tend to get ready without showing it. (Try to get as close as possible without leting the opponent realize he is in danger of the attack.) I prefer punching, if I can get within the range, if not a bil jee to the eyes as to draw is always a good technique to get the attacker hands up. once I have made contact, I can feel the opponent's energy, and redirect it, (takeing the opponent off his base means he cannot fight me, for those few seconds it takes to take him out.)
I use whatever I can to win (remember it is a life or death situation) that is the only reason to fight. Kicking, punching, or feinting are all good options. Waiting for the attack is a bad idea. The best defense is a good offense.
You must choose your battles wisely. You must take the opponent out as quickly as possible, so that you can get on with your life.
Have good day. C.A.G.

shaolinboxer
11-07-2001, 07:13 PM
Waiting for an attack can also be a good idea. If the person commits to an attack, it provides you with the oppotunity to catch him off guard. Hence, fainting can be good to draw out and attack that you can use.

Budokan
11-07-2001, 08:42 PM
If the sh*t's going down and there's nothing you can do to stop it, then you sucker punch the b*stard.

K. Mark Hoover

Tigerdragon
11-09-2001, 05:00 PM
I would probably use some sort of hand strike first. Hands are usualy faster then leggs. In my case that is true. If I were to kick first it would probably be to his leggs to disrupt him and divert his attention down to open him up for some head shots.
I don't like the idea of waiting for a strike to come in. What if he has trained in something? Or what if he is just a naturally good street fighter? If I wait for the attack it may come in faster (like a quick jab) then i'm prepared for.

Just my thoughts

Assumption is the mother of tragedy. Just keep and open mind and be ready

straight blast
11-10-2001, 11:04 AM
It all comes down to range. I like to strike the lead knee from kicking range. I like to fire a straight blast from punching range. I like to headbutt from face-to-face range. I'm not overly fond of feinting. In a street fight (well, the ones I've seen & been in) there just isn't enough time to feint. But I'm not the fastest fist in the country.
Though I must admit that I like them to attack my guard. Once they touch it, she's on!!

"Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"