PDA

View Full Version : is this stuff for real??

j-himself
10-17-2003, 04:41 PM
got these clips from a site on yi chuan

http://www.yichuankungfu.com/frpage.htm

now is this what applications of chi actually looks like? is this stuff legit, or it is simply bogus?

i havent been taking taiji quan for that long, yet, so i'm not sure about how chi works and all that, especially in the use of getting ur opponent flying some five feet. weird stuff.... or should i say, wow instead...

Empty Fist
10-18-2003, 04:54 AM
The clips are of poor quality. Master Cheuk Fung (so-called master) is just standing there while people go flying like rag dolls. Sorry, people don’t go flying/thrown without the proper execution of body mechanics and from what I can see, there are no body mechanics being used (e.g releasing of the dantien). Another observation, the people who are being thrown don’t seem to be properly rooted. I like to see him try his techniques on me. I think it’s bogus. I'd be curious to hear what other people think.

Dachengdao
10-18-2003, 12:47 PM
Thanks for posting that link. It's hard to tell whether the throws are legit or not because the clips are too short. I do know for a fact, however, that Yiquan can give you that sort of internal power. The only way to know for sure is to cross hands with the guy.
Wang Rengang

Lin-Wu
10-19-2003, 06:58 AM
Agree with Emptyfist.There are no movements.The so-called master just stand there with open hands while the guy goes flying.The concept of chi I got --please correct me if I`m wrong--is,roughly speaking,life energy,that can be used against opponents.I don`t think of chi as being able to create "magical" effects like raduken or super-throws.Again,please correct me if I`m wrong about this.

Lin-Wu

Dachengdao
10-19-2003, 04:03 PM
The more internal power (Qi) you have developed, the less external movements you need to make to execute an effective defense. You only need to deflect the force that's coming at you and it will go right back to the opponent, much like a ball that bounces off a wall. Videos can be deceiving either way. Very high level masters can look like fakes while fakes often look like the real thing. The only way to tell for sure is to test them by crossing hands. If the clip was longer, I would be able to watch for proper mechanics and rootedness which may have clued me to his level of development. I can neither endorse nor debunk that master's skill just by watching that short clip.