PDA

View Full Version : aLTERED MIND STATES THROUGH SLEEP DEPRIVATION

Xebsball
10-18-2003, 06:08 PM
HEY!

So, next week ill have the oportunity to do some bad ass sleep deprivation
Here goes:
WHat are the methods to tap altered mind states (crazy stuff, the most crazy stuff please) through sleep deprivation?

Who has tried something?
Seen something?
Felt something?

I wanna tap crazy stuff in the head, help me how to

Chris_McKinley
10-19-2003, 01:05 AM
Sleep deprivation is not the best way to explore altered states because it's kinda like taking the guided tour instead of going where you want to go. In TCM terms, sleep deprivation first leads to the "tyranny of the Gall Bladder", or over-activation of the central nervous system via adrenal exhaustion. This is intermittent with flux in the function of the pineal gland function which controls, among other things, melatonin release governing sleep cycles and circadian sleep patterns. What you get in terms of altered states is really rather disappointing, not to mention that it can be also quite physically uncomfortable. On the plus side, altered states are entered into very readily compared with typical, rested circumstances. On the negative side, there is no real control or stabilization of these states by the Yi, or intent, since Yi is weakened by the deficiency of Kidney Yang and Jing, and also by the overactivity of the Gall Bladder under sleep deprivation.

With extended deprivation, Gall Bladder loses its Yang qi as Kidney qi is depleted. Conceptor Vessel qi is tapped as a backup source being one of the strange flow meridians. This is bad, because now you are starting to draw from your stores of post-heaven qi in false dantien...your reserve tank, if you will, for all purposes in the body. If it goes too far, it begins to draw upon pre-heaven qi in the true dantien, which, unlike post-heaven qi, cannot be replaced or replenished. At this stage, your body will mutiny on you and begin periods of micro-sleep, eventually resorting to all-out involuntary full sleep.

Exploring altered states is much easier, deeper and more fun when operating from a position of abundance of qi and balance in the various meridians, coupled with the skill of linking Yi, or intent, with qi.

GeneChing
10-20-2003, 11:30 AM
That's a big one for me. I've always been into sleep dep. The best thing about sleep dep is that when things get too crazy, you just need to go to sleep. There's no hangover, just messed up sleep patterns.

But the downsides are clear. There are the typical ones - Do not drive - Do not operate heavy machinery. Also there are polypharmaceutical issues, since most people will use some sort of stimulant to stay awake. Be it coffee, tea or meth, those definately factor into the equation and have to be considered. Plus there is a high chance of contracting illness since your immune system will be down.

If you really want to know about sleep dep, have a kid. ;)

Taijiquan ninja
10-23-2003, 03:04 PM
i would not suggest sleep deprevation. all sleep deprevation does is put a strain on your brain (yeah it ryhmes so what) wich can cause you all these cool hallucinations and all but it also has permanate brain damage and destoys your mind making lose sanity. not to mention it will kill you.

Christopher M
10-26-2003, 05:03 PM
Altered states of mind are, generally, highly overrated. AKA, be careful what you ask for.

That said; "playing" with arousal/sleep transitions is much more fruitfull when you are well rested. Exhaustion creates a very strong motivational pull which forces you into certain behaviors rather than allowing you to be attentive. That said; forcing abnormal behavior upon your body, over the short term, can be a way of forcing you to notice some possibilities, if you need that, and provided you're able to remember it afterwards. If there's a trick to this, it's with alternating, mixing, and using ritual and spontaneity. Ritual both to set up expectations and patterns in your behavior, as well as create attentiveness by distinguishing between normal and special mental space. Spontaneity to catch those patterns off guard and keep them alive.

GeneChing
11-03-2003, 05:05 PM
There is the Japanese buddhist meditation ritual known as the "monk killer". The monks meditation for several days - I think it's like 10 days straight. No sleep. Or at least, their not supposed to sleep. I saw a documentary on it in a religious studies class some time ago. It was quite fascinating. Of course, there was all sorts of ritual that surrounded and prepped the monks for this grueling task.

Personally, I wouldn't seek out sleep dep as a psychotropic. It just came along with my sloppy lifestyle. I really try to avoid it now. But in my youth....;)

jun_erh
11-09-2003, 11:01 AM
this guy (http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Oasis/2154/)

gets into some of that stuff on this page. A very far out tai chi homepage. Interesting as the guy is wheelchair bound.

Xebsball
11-16-2003, 07:43 PM
most thanks to the tips/info

Ninja, it wasnt really an option, it was a work situation.

Results were: none, nothing happened
though it is a fact i didnt do as much deprivation as i though id have to
so i dunno