PDA

View Full Version : Perceived facts vs the truth.

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-19-2003, 04:28 PM
Hi All.

A slight OT topic, maybe, depends on where you guys take it.

Just read an interesting article in todays paper by Harold Meyerson(source Washington Post) called "Watching Fox for fact-free Iraq news".

Sorry, only got a link to the study not the article, for those who are interested.
PIPA (http://www.pipa.org/)

This article deals with a research done about the iraq war and misperceptions that USA people have of major news events and facts relating to the war.
They than polled the people where they got their news from and from whihc TV-news they got them (FOX, CBS, etc.). Very interesting read and just a bit scary, as it show that viewers from station A have certain misconceptions whereas viewers of station B got others, and some are shared between stations.

Now this is a KF board and I think it is important for all of us to reflect on how valid are OUR perceptions to facts that are related to us.

May it be BIG news like the Iraq War, or facts about style XYZ or similar.
If we got misperceptions about things/events that can possible affect millions and our own lifes, isn't there a possibility that we got many of so called MA facts similarly wrong.

It makes me think and question my knowledge.
How about you?

Serpent
10-19-2003, 05:44 PM
Yeah, it makes me think and question your knowledge too.

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-19-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
Yeah, it makes me think and question your knowledge too.

If you ain't got anything worthwhile to contribute, STFU.

:D

Serpent
10-19-2003, 06:29 PM
Right back atcha.

;)

rogue
10-19-2003, 06:48 PM
Wow another left wing hand wringer bull **** knitting group, whoops, I mean a group of social science researchers whose purpose is to give the public a greater voice in the public policy process by seeking to discern public opinion on public policy and to communicate its findings to the policy community, academia and the press. :rolleyes:

But to the question
If we got misperceptions about things/events that can possible affect millions and our own lifes, isn't there a possibility that we got many of so called MA facts similarly wrong? Yes. Some won't care if what their instructors teach is BS because they either don't know any better or it fits into their fantasy, others will be lucky to find someone who teaches them in a truthful realistic manner and others will seek out and research what is true.

Bluesman
10-19-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by T'ai Ji Monkey

I do hope that serpant will use this forum to share other views of CMA. It may not be his intention of turning this into a comedy outlet although I do not recall his or her input that benifitted anyone on here.
I am trying to be respectfull on here, although many of you may recall when I lowered myself in which I deeply regret.
Everyone has something to contribute. Serpant, please let yours be something other than like the day I was a fool.

Chang Style Novice
10-19-2003, 07:40 PM
The words "Fox News" are the basis of potentially the biggest false advertising case since my suit against the producers of "The Neverending Story."

Black Jack
10-19-2003, 08:03 PM
Rogue....you know what CNN stand for don't ya.;)

Fox News is the number 1 watched news network.

Chang Style Novice
10-19-2003, 08:15 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I have this wierd idea that a news network should have reporters and investigators instead of just borderline-illiterate opinion mongers howling invective and verbally fellating Republican party leaders.

And Fox News is even worse!

Serpent
10-19-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Bluesman

I do hope that serpant will use this forum to share other views of CMA. It may not be his intention of turning this into a comedy outlet although I do not recall his or her input that benifitted anyone on here.
I am trying to be respectfull on here, although many of you may recall when I lowered myself in which I deeply regret.
Everyone has something to contribute. Serpant, please let yours be something other than like the day I was a fool.

First of all, holy Bluesman, learn how to spell Serpent.

Secondly, who the hell are you to tell me what or what not to do. You might not recall anything I've said being of interest, but you study Shaolin-Do, so how would you know good advice if you heard it?

BTW, you're still a fool.

;)

Bluesman
10-19-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Serpent

First of all, holy Bluesman, learn how to spell Serpent.

Secondly, who the hell are you to tell me what or what not to do. You might not recall anything I've said being of interest, but you study Shaolin-Do, so how would you know good advice if you heard it?

BTW, you're still a fool.

;)

Well, you got me! I can not argue with you as I am both a poor speller and a fool. :o
The former post was meant to move the thread from one of flaming to one where we could learn from one another.
If you wish, I will refrain from responding to your posts.

Serpent
10-19-2003, 09:02 PM
That's right. Now go away.

crazymaddrunk
10-19-2003, 09:12 PM
WOW. We got the two biggest idiots right here on one thread...

Chang Style Novice- It's more obvious everyday that you are indeed THE biggest idiotic moron that I have ever met. Even worse than your mom.

Serpent- Uhhhh, enough said...

crazymaddrunk
10-19-2003, 09:13 PM
Yeah, Bluesman, you spell 'serpent" M O R O N

Serpent
10-19-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by crazymaddrunk
WOW. We got the two biggest idiots right here on one thread...

Chang Style Novice- It's more obvious everyday that you are indeed THE biggest idiotic moron that I have ever met. Even worse than your mom.

Serpent- Uhhhh, enough said...

Been let out of your padded cage for your daily exercise then have you?

Serpent
10-19-2003, 09:24 PM
Who said that?

shaolin kungfu
10-19-2003, 09:37 PM
I did.

Serpent
10-19-2003, 09:45 PM
And you are?

Serpent
10-19-2003, 09:52 PM
Why is this rather unconvincing cyber implant in my head starting to throb?

shaolin kungfu
10-19-2003, 09:55 PM
dont worry, it'll be over soon

Serpent
10-19-2003, 10:12 PM
Which head?

Serpent
10-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Heh.

SevenStar
10-19-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by T'ai Ji Monkey

Does serpent ever have anything worthwhile to contribute?

Serpent
10-19-2003, 10:42 PM
Do you?

shaolin kungfu
10-19-2003, 10:53 PM
Who are you talking to?

Serpent
10-19-2003, 11:01 PM
Who? Me?

*gently strokes head implant*

(Yes, that one!)

shaolin kungfu
10-19-2003, 11:07 PM
quit it, you'll make us go blind

Serpent
10-19-2003, 11:11 PM
You'll still be able to feeeel.

Chang Style Novice
10-20-2003, 07:54 AM
CMD -

Excellent, moron. Why don't you show me how wrong I am by citing one news story Fox News has broken, EVER. Just one would be fine.

PS - After tongue kissing Geraldo for putting troops in peril, and thereby becoming the first person the US ordered out of Iraq after Saddam Hussein, be sure to get a penicillin shot.

Shaolin-Do
10-20-2003, 08:00 AM
"you'll make us go blind"

I thought it would make him go blind?
Mrs. serpent likes the feeling of hairy palms rubbing her shoulders after a long day of work.
:eek:

"Excellent, moron."
We should have a bot the posts that after everytime CMD says something.

GreyMystik
10-20-2003, 08:11 AM
FAUX News.
we distort, you comply.

Tak
10-20-2003, 09:02 AM
Speaking of news distortion, I heard this weekend that "the doctor" case was presented quite a bit differently on Italian TV. According to them, there were only 2 knife-wielding attackers, and he only killed one of them.