PDA

View Full Version : The next MA fad.

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-19-2003, 08:05 PM
I have been thinking and come to the conclusion that the next MA fad will not be limited to a style or specific system.

Most fads are driven to a degree by movies, and with the current trend of action movies and soon to come samurai clones I have come to the following.

Also popularity for UFC, K1, Pride, etc has started to diminish, and people soon will start yearning for something new and better.

I think the next fad will be more about swords and acrobatic moves rather than any currently existing MA style/system.

We will also see more hybrid along the lines of kickrobics and similar.
Athletism and fancy jumps, high kicks, flashy sword works and similar moves will play a larger role.

Not that I think it will all be bad, TMA can and will benefit from the conditioning of the new and upcoming fad.

Sorry, just posting some random thoughts.

rogue
10-19-2003, 08:10 PM
Nah. The average guy can do TKD, can do BJJ, can kickbox, can stick fight. The average guy can't butterfly kick and land in a full split while swinging a floppy sword.

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-19-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by rogue
Nah. The average guy can do TKD, can do BJJ, can kickbox, can stick fight. The average guy can't butterfly kick and land in a full split while swinging a floppy sword.

I still believe that they will rather go for flashy movie style moves rather than San Shou or similar.
;)

And I also forsee soon some schools that will allow students to make their own action movies using wires, CG editing and similar.

Perfect future hybrids for money making, teach them a few moves and than let them put it into digitally enhanced format.
Just look at how they made the fighting scene for Ep 2, Matrix or similar.

This is what the average joe will want and be willing to pay for.

CoconutRobot
10-19-2003, 08:41 PM
It has to be Cardio Tai-chi. I seen it on the cover of IKF.

:eek:

Serpent
10-19-2003, 08:47 PM
But the average school won't be able to afford to supply it. I think this is a good thing. With any luck all this wire-fu in the movies will make people forget about the real MA's and think that all the movie stuff is just wires and special effects. That way, they'll stop yearning to learn the stuff and schools can go back to their days of more quiet achievement.

Remember when movies used real martial arts skills without wires or C-Gen? The old Bruce Lee movies, Jackie Chan, Jet Li of old, etc? These movies made the martial arts (even the Wushu'd ones) seem fantastic and impressive, which they are, and people started looking for places to learn.

I think it'll go full circle and with any luck they'll start to make movies again without the special effects, then the schools will get a new influx of students that want to learn more realistically. Nobody is going to look at wire-work and C-gen and go, "Ooh! I wanna learn how to do that!" any more than people watch ridiculous car chases and rush out to find a driving school that can teach them how to do it so that they can make movies themselves.

Just rambling some random thoughts on the subject......

*wanders off, muttering quietly about squirrels*

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-19-2003, 08:53 PM
Serpent.

I agree that the focus change would be a blessing for the serious MA and we can go back to what we like to do best.

OTOH, technology has become so cheap and easy to operate.
Many places now offer rental rooms and dresses where you can record and take home your own music videos and similar.

Serpent
10-19-2003, 09:01 PM
Make Your Own Wuxia Epic Booths at the mall?

LOL

:D

FatherDog
10-19-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by T'ai Ji Monkey
Also popularity for UFC, K1, Pride, etc has started to diminish,

Uh, what? Pride regularly sells out the Tokyo Dome, has recently started selling same-day-delay PPV in America, and UFC buyrates are at some of their highest levels. How is this 'popularity starting to diminish'? :confused:

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-19-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by FatherDog

Uh, what? Pride regularly sells out the Tokyo Dome, has recently started selling same-day-delay PPV in America, and UFC buyrates are at some of their highest levels. How is this 'popularity starting to diminish'? :confused:

It is STILL selling out Tokyo Dome, but the popularity in Japan is going down.

There have been quiet a few scandals in japan connected to K1 and pride.

Kristoffer
10-20-2003, 03:42 AM
There have been quiet a few scandals in japan connected to K1 and pride.

That doesn't mean it's less popular. Usually the ones that dislikes these types of MA is old people. Old people who would ban every contact to the head if they had the power to. Fortunatly, all the old ppl will die soon.

On the next fad? I also beleive MA movies will be more popular but people will still mostly go to what's most well known at that time. And that will probebly be Karate just like it always has. (And is now)
Hopefully, tech-stuff will be cheap enough for the average guy to buy. That only means more people can try making their own MA movies, something that's lacking now.

David Jamieson
10-20-2003, 05:52 AM
it will be bum darts and "cook fu"

that' where chefs drop quarters clenched in their butt cheeks into empty bowls and see who can get more in the bowl.

the cook fu will be several people striking postures while flipping eggs and braising lemons.

I was kind of hoping that the next MA fad would be that you could actually get a wider audience and set of practitioners. There aren't enough of us frankly and if i have to say, "It's not karate" one more time, I'll make the next fad in MA, shooting people. :D

Shaolin-Do
10-20-2003, 06:05 AM
"Also popularity for UFC, K1, Pride, etc has started to diminish,"

In america Ive only seen it rising, to be completely honest.

"There have been quiet a few scandals in japan connected to K1 and pride."

Hmm... Major fights ran in japan sketchy?
*coughyakuzacough*
:rolleyes:

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-20-2003, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
*coughyakuzacough*

More like shady deals, promoters offing themselves, etc.
;)

Shaolin-Do
10-20-2003, 06:21 AM
Quiet you. Let me have my fantasies of japanese men holding guns to fighters in peace.
"Yoo roose en dhe fohrth, ohr DIE!!!"

Kristoffer
10-20-2003, 06:22 AM
There aren't enough of us frankly and if i have to say, "It's not karate" one more time, I'll make the next fad in MA, shooting people.

:D I'll second that

*coughyakuzacough*

Isn't it an urban myth that yakuza influances the k1 scene? Does anybody know any articles on this?

Shaolin-Do
10-20-2003, 06:27 AM
I dunno. Ill just assume any badness going on in japan is in part due to the yakuza. Nothing like an obtuse western mindset to keep things going.

Tak
10-20-2003, 10:55 AM
Actually, I think Taiji Monkey is right on target. I've seen advertisements for "XMA, eXtreme Martial Arts," which is supposedly a combination of dance, acrobatics, and some nameless generalization of someone's idea of a martial art. In fact, I think Century is promoting/selling gear for this crap...err, exciting new trend.

On a semi-related topic, there's an instructor in a local school who is also a film student, and he's been doing his own wire-fu. On a very limited budget.

Kristoffer
10-20-2003, 11:49 AM
On a semi-related topic, there's an instructor in a local school who is also a film student, and he's been doing his own wire-fu. On a very limited budget.

See this is what I wish were more common. props to him

PHILBERT
10-20-2003, 01:46 PM
I e-mailed the X-TREME martial arts company with questions regarding how there products worked and how it was superior to using other products such as Under Armour for practice. They never responded. Maybe it was because I told them they were *******izing traditional martial arts too. I also told them how much they suck at marketing, displaying how there uniforms are so state of the art, blah blah blah but gave no support to why they are so amazing. I asked what there uniforms do, do they make me run faster, jump further, last longer? What do they do as far as heat and cold go, etc. I compared them to Under Armour's heat and cold gear, etc. They never replied. Great customer service these peope got going. :rolleyes:

Kristoffer
10-21-2003, 05:10 AM
Real Gangsters
http://gangstersinc.tripod.com/

More Gangsters, but alot of other good info. SOme funny and interesting articles here (in the crime section and main)
http://www3.tky.3web.ne.jp/~edjacob/bloodbaths.htm

Cool text on CIA assassination techniques
http://www.anusha.com/ciastudy.htm

Tak
10-21-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by PHILBERT
I e-mailed the X-TREME martial arts company with questions regarding how there products worked and how it was superior to using other products such as Under Armour for practice. They never responded. Maybe it was because I told them they were *******izing traditional martial arts too. I also told them how much they suck at marketing, displaying how there uniforms are so state of the art, blah blah blah but gave no support to why they are so amazing. I asked what there uniforms do, do they make me run faster, jump further, last longer? What do they do as far as heat and cold go, etc. I compared them to Under Armour's heat and cold gear, etc. They never replied. Great customer service these peope got going. :rolleyes:
I bet they're just behind. They must get one of these emails from every MA person who hears about their product. Either that, or emails from MA people go straight to /dev/null.

Re the uniforms: I like the way they look like they have oven mitts stapled to them in various places.

GeneChing
10-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Cardio Tai Chi is old news. See our Sep Oct 2002 issue. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=235) :o oops! should i have admitted that on this thread?

I've been hoping that the next trend in MA would be hot women. Kill Bill, Charlie's Angels, Alias, etc. Hot leggy women. Lots of cat fights. Yeah. That's what we need here. ;)

SaMantis
10-22-2003, 11:43 AM
European-style swordfighting.

http://www.martinez-destreza.com/

GeneChing
10-24-2003, 10:28 AM
Thibault's mystic fencing circle? That's nuts.

Maybe hot women fencers. Nah, the knickers ain't flattering enough. That's why I left fencing. Made my legs look skinny (which they are). Give me kung fu pants (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/product---index-11-17.html) anyday. I'm sticking with hot women CMAists. ARe you with me?

Starchaser107
10-24-2003, 11:58 AM
in defense of tai ji monkey,
the "average guy" as in "adult male" may not be able to pull off technichal gymnastic acrobatics in martial arts.
However if you look around you will see Alot more Children in martial arts. Children by nature are more malleable and more likely to be able to pull off these moves. Also they would desire to moreso than us adults.

Starchaser107
10-24-2003, 12:01 PM
"I'm sticking with hot women CMAists. ARe you with me?"

H3ll Fr!kkin' yes.

Kempo Guy
10-24-2003, 12:14 PM
Next new fad... well, after "Kill Bill" and the upcoming movie "The Last Samurai", I'm betting that the McDojos will start advertising sword fighting... :rolleyes:

KG

PHILBERT
10-24-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Kempo Guy
Next new fad... well, after "Kill Bill" and the upcoming movie "The Last Samurai", I'm betting that the McDojos will start advertising sword fighting... :rolleyes:

KG

That depends on how big the movies have an impact on martial arts. Think back to th Ninja craze, that thing was freaking huge, everyone was wanting in on it because it was something we had never seen before to that extent. So schools started claiming to be Ninjutsu schools when it wasn't. I doubt The Last Samurai, while it will probably rake in over $150 million (Tom Cruise guarantees at least $100 million), I don't think it will have the impact of everyone wanting to learn to sword fight.

Look at The Matrix, after those came out, how many Kung Fu schools popped up teaching you the hand to hand fighting/Wushu they used for that?

MasterKiller
10-24-2003, 01:16 PM
Look at The Matrix, after those came out, how many Kung Fu schools popped up teaching you the hand to hand fighting/Wushu they used for that? After the Matrix and CTHD, we had a lot of people come into our school. Hardly any stayed more than a month, but that's beside the point. Don't over-estimate the general public. They are easily pulled to and fro by popular media.

Hell, look what kind of stir J-Lo caused with Enough. That movie suck-diddli-ucked, yet lots of chicks were looking for Krav Maga after it came out.

SaMantis
10-24-2003, 01:31 PM
Let's be fair, now. I call for more hot *male* martial artists so us chicks will have something to look at. :D

MasterKiller
10-24-2003, 01:38 PM
Let's be fair, now. I call for more hot *male* martial artists so us chicks will have something to look at. I'd just like to see more male MA that don't have a gut.

Shaolin-Do
10-24-2003, 01:56 PM
i dont have a gut.
:p

PHILBERT
10-24-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
After the Matrix and CTHD, we had a lot of people come into our school. Hardly any stayed more than a month, but that's beside the point. Don't over-estimate the general public. They are easily pulled to and fro by popular media.

Hell, look what kind of stir J-Lo caused with Enough. That movie suck-diddli-ucked, yet lots of chicks were looking for Krav Maga after it came out.

You saw that God awful movie Enough? I'm sorry. I avoid anything with Jennifer Lopez in it, and when I heard about that movie, I wanted to go to every theatre in the area and burn the movie.

Originally posted by SaMantis
Let's be fair, now. I call for more hot *male* martial artists so us chicks will have something to look at. :D

I'm hot, male and don't have a gut. :D

SaMantis
10-25-2003, 06:38 AM
Shaolin-Do & Philbert, you're the first 2004 KFO Calendar Guys! Congratulations, Mr. January and Mr. February!! :D

PHILBERT
10-25-2003, 12:33 PM
Can I be Mr August since that is when I have my birthday? And since Margie has her birthday in August, can she join me for the August photo? :D

BAI HE
10-25-2003, 09:47 PM
Next MA fad?

Kenjutsu / Iaido.

Just wait til "Last Samurai" with Tom Cruise hits the silver screen.
Every schmuck on the block will be on this like Mayor Barry on the straight DC pipe.

KC Elbows
10-25-2003, 10:28 PM
Step Aerobic Dim Mak.

DEBRA, THE PERKY AEROBICS INSTRUCTOR: And one and two and-[KEELS OVER, CLUTCHING ABDOMEN AND SCREAMING] Oh, the horrible pain!! The agony!! It's like worms twisting in my guts!![NOTICES TWO FAT LADIES IN THE BACK SLACKING OFF AND CLAPS TWICE]- c'mon ladies, I know you can do it!

PAULINE, SINGLE MOTHER OF TWO WHO CAME TO LOSE SIX POUNDS: Debra, it feels like a force is trying to burst from my skull!!?

DEBRA, THE PERKY AEROBICS INSTRUCTOR: Very good! Everyone, look at how Pauline is doing it, her forms is excellent and- OH SWEET JESUS, THE WORMS ARE TEARING THEIR WAY INTO MY HEART!

ASHIDA KIM[FROM NEARBY TAE BO CLASS]: Man, I could've told them that'd happen.

O.E. SIMON[FROM SAME TAE BO CLASS]: Me too. Why are you dressed like a ninja?

ASHIDA KIM: You can see me?

O.E. SIMON: Well, yes.

ASHIDA KIM: ****.

[UNCOMFORTABLE PAUSE]

ASHIDA KIM: Wanna make sweet love?

O.E. SIMON: I thought you'd never ask.

ASHIDA KIM[TAKING OFF ALL BUT NINJA MASK AND TABI BOOTS]: Phat! I've never ****ed the Pope before!

SaMantis
10-26-2003, 10:16 AM
ROTFLMFAO :D :D and :D

SaMantis
10-26-2003, 10:18 AM
Oh and Philbert -- yes, the first volunteers get to pick their month -- but I get to pick the pose ... hmm August ... I see overalls, haystacks and one 'o them straw farmer hats.

I don't know about Margie ... you may have to ask Gene real nicely. :p

chen zhen
10-26-2003, 01:14 PM
Let's be fair, now. I call for more hot *male* martial artists so us chicks will have something to look at.

naaww, whats wrong wit Chuck Norris now?

:D

(Illustration)

Kristoffer
10-26-2003, 01:50 PM
lol

David Jamieson
10-26-2003, 04:48 PM
Yes, more hot chicks, less Chuck would be great.

Seriously, more hot chicks and Less Chuck.

Chuck has the acting talent and personality of a piece of firewood.
Not to detract from his skills as a Karate guy, but geez, one look to cover 35 expressions is enough to make anyone want more hot chicks. :D

cheers

p.s, KC, you should go through all your posts and gleen a comedy routine out of them.

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-26-2003, 04:54 PM
Maybe you guys need to look for them in the TJQ classes. ;)

To be honest, comparing with other arts we seem to have a fair share.
:p

Serpent
10-26-2003, 05:32 PM
Can I be Mr April?

I think there's plenty of good looking guys in MA. And a bunch of ugly fat weirdo's too. We do, however, need a lot more chicks. Has anyone noticed that the longevity of girls in MA is very short? Do you think it's the male-dominated envirmonment that eventually becomes too much for them?

(SAMantis - pick a pose for me. Go on. I'll do anything. ;) )

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-27-2003, 01:48 AM
Uh, what? Pride regularly sells out the Tokyo Dome, has recently started selling same-day-delay PPV in America, and UFC buyrates are at some of their highest levels. How is this 'popularity starting to diminish'?

yeah i'd say that ufc, and even pride, has surpassed populairty and become common place. ufc is a houeshold name like coke or bruce lee.

if there's another fad anytime soon i hope it involves ninjas. ninjas are totally sweet.