PDA

View Full Version : Defenses against sticks&knives

Castlevania
11-09-2001, 09:28 PM
I don´t actually want to hear about different counters against sticks&knives but more like to hear how to act with an opponent who´s holding one.

Jeff Liboiron
11-09-2001, 09:57 PM
GET THE HELL OUTTA THERE!!!!!!!!

Especially if they have a knife :eek:

The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you

Castlevania
11-09-2001, 11:26 PM
But...if you can´t get out,you are surrounded or against a wall or something.
It is very important for a serious martial artist to know weapon defence,if you don´t,you are lacking a bit(at least in my opinion)

fmann
11-10-2001, 07:16 AM
Regarding how to "act," personally speaking if someone confronts you with a stick or knife or weapon of any kind and you have to fight, I would act more aggressive than against an unarmed opponent. You can't take the risk of being too "defensive" against a weapon-wielder, you have to turn the tides and take advantage whenever you have the opportunity, possibly turning the weapon against him. It's alot of guts and alot of luck.

If someone is threatening you with a weapon and you have to fight, your first concern is your safety and/or the safety of loved ones. If he survives the encounter, too, then cudos to his luck.

Jeff Liboiron
11-10-2001, 08:25 AM
sorry i wasn't clear on that the scenario was that you had to fight

The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you

Castlevania
11-10-2001, 01:14 PM
That´s allright,Jeff.
Thanks to everyone.

apoweyn
11-10-2001, 10:11 PM
there are some people that advocate looking at everyone AS IF they had a knife. so that, even if you are facing an 'unarmed' opponent, the assumption is that he could draw a knife. if you hold that belief, then there is no difference in attitude.

and i'd agree that aggressiveness, though not uncontrolled aggressiveness, would be a good thing.

if you have no room to run, and no time to bide, create a solution. pronto.

stuart b.

Laine Nakachi
11-11-2001, 05:48 AM
I don't actually want to hear about different counters against sticks & knives.
But more like to hear how to act with an opponent who is holding one.

Castlevania,this is just my input to your topic.
You 're going into defensive act with the opponent.

The opponent can be holding a stick or knife,ready to hurt you.
If someone came at me with a knife or a stick,my life is in danger.
So,I'll be in defensive act.
I hope this is what you mean by act.

Take Care,

Fe luk

JerryLove
11-11-2001, 04:53 PM
How do you act when confronted with a weapon? Without specifics?

Decisively. Run fast if you can. Shoot them if you can (don't warn, just open fire). If not, when you go in, make sure you go in. You cannot afford to drop commitment and then attempt to recommit and you are likely to get injured on every closing action. If you are fighting (as opposed to running) end it quickly.

http://www.clearsilat.com

nospam
11-11-2001, 06:57 PM
Most weapons have a range of attack. That is to say they are at their most effective at a particular range, whether swung up, down, sideways or thrusted.

Weapons truely are an extension of the person, treat them in the same regard as you would an unarmed aggressor. Your training will be more important than how or what weapon your aggressor is using.

nospam.

apoweyn
11-11-2001, 07:30 PM
hmm... yeah. a sharp, pointy extension of the aggressor that can cut deeply with the slightest contact. or a rock-hard extension that feels no pain from impact.

personally, i'd rather look at an unarmed man as being armed than vice versa. prepare for the worst, and be happy with anything less.

stuart b.

apoweyn
11-11-2001, 07:31 PM
p.s. nospam, just having a lark. didn't mean to sound like i was invalidating your point.

regards,

stuart b.

JerryLove
11-11-2001, 10:54 PM
A hardy second on that. There is a big difference between a hand and a knife. And there isn't a range too short for a knife to work.

http://www.clearsilat.com

JWTAYLOR
11-12-2001, 12:12 AM
Jerry Love, that's a pretty good quote, if not kinda scary.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV