Void Boxing
10-20-2003, 03:03 AM
What reality martial art do you train?

Shaolin-Do
10-20-2003, 07:05 AM
life.
!
?
Nothing gets more real than life. I live like a nike swoosh and just do it, man.
:eek:

Tak
10-20-2003, 10:31 AM
I just watch The Matrix over and over again.

rogue
10-21-2003, 06:18 PM
Karate.

SevenStar
10-24-2003, 01:18 PM
this can't be a serious question...

SevenStar
10-24-2003, 01:19 PM
I learn to fight mainly from street fighter 2 and my gracie in action cd.

SanSoo Student
10-26-2003, 11:26 PM
Those fire balls and dragon punches are the essence of street reality fighting.

Repulsive Monkey
10-27-2003, 09:31 AM
I use disgarded pieces on concrete, and gravel from the streets. Any bits of broken pieces of glass are handy too!!!

dimmakseminar
10-27-2003, 09:35 AM
Dear Mr. Void Boxing:

I train in the Dim Mak. That is as REAL as it gets!

Respectfully yours,

dimmakseminar

dimmakseminar
10-27-2003, 09:35 AM
Dear Mr. Void Boxing:

I train in the Dim Mak. That is as REAL as it gets!

Respectfully yours,

dimmakseminar

Shaolin-Do
10-27-2003, 09:46 AM
You train in the dim mak?
hmm... You do realize that Dim Mak isnt a style, no?

Albino_Mantis
10-27-2003, 02:03 PM
Hello Void,

In reviewing your posts on this thread and the JKD thread, I have to ask what you are really looking for. It would seem to me, that either you are a great fighter who has taken very few lumps or someone who hasn’t really experienced what its like to get hit/kicked by someone who is really good.

All the martial artist that I know who started out with the idea of “Get as much real time fighting in as possible” have walked away from that idea. If you look at ALL the great martial arts who are still ALIVE, you will see that they don’t have their students spar nearly as often as they did. The question to ask is why… answer: because it damages the body (can cause blood cots that lead to strokes, amoung other things) and we don’t live in a world where you live and die by your fighting abilities.

I don’t know about the other posters on this board who are from other countries, but here in the US, if I were to get mugged, the person most likely wouldn’t have a hand to hand weapon, they’d have a gun! No fighter has ever been great enough to beat a bullet (unless you want to count Wolverine or Cap America or Daredevil, but I just somehow don’t think they qualify for this discussion since it is supposed to be Reality based) ;).

So, tell me, if you live in the US when would you really use the MA in a “reality” situation? The only times I can think of are: on the street because someone angered you, at a bar or party because someone angered you, at work because someone angered you , etc. The common thread I see here is: someone’s angered you. Guess what, if you use your martial arts in a fight, whether you were in the right or not, you are the criminal and that is how the courts will treat you.

Additionally, if you are training in the true martial arts, you are learning skills and techniques that can maim or kill someone, is that what you are looking to do? If so, how do you practice those moves (and in fact the real moves of reality fighting) with a sparing partner, remember you asked about training for reality? The only way to do that is to follow thru with the action as you would in a real fight. That would kill or maim your sparring partner and won’t be long until you are out of partners.

In life, the way the “REAL” Martial Artist uses their MA training is, being able to catch your child or significant other as they are tripping, stopping a cup from spilling when its bumped, avoiding the car that didn’t see you when they decided they wanted your lane, staying healthy and strong, able to wipe your own a** and get out of bed without each day. The martial arts were always about health and meditation, about finding your center and striving for enlightenment. Yes there are people who have taken the MA and turned it into a combat centered ideology, but they have also missed the boat, and they ended up just as dead as those who used the MA to quest for happiness and enlightenment. How happy where they when they died…

So, to answer your question, every martial artist who lives life to the fullest in health, happiness, and spiritually centered life is practicing reality martial arts.

dimmakseminar
10-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
You train in the dim mak?
hmm... You do realize that Dim Mak isnt a style, no?

Dear Mr. Shaolin-Do:

You do realise that Shaolin-Do isn't an authentic art, yes?

Respectfully yours,

dimmakseminar

Albino_Mantis
10-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by dimmakseminar

Dear Mr. Shaolin-Do:

You do realise that Shaolin-Do isn't an authentic art, yes?

Respectfully yours,

dimmakseminar

Now kids, play nice or I will have to send you to your rooms. ;)

Albino_Mantis
10-29-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Jow Ga Fist
Albino_Mantis, **** that's deep. Void, Mike Tyson Punchout its as real as it gets :p

hope you remembered your hip waders ;)

Temujinn
10-29-2003, 10:01 AM
Albino, I have been in plenty of situations that required fighting.
And the criminals where ilive dont all carry guns(Detroit)
And yeah, in a bar, you how many times I have walked up to a pool table to be greeted with a punch in the face?
Luckily I have a very mean wife, who quickly turns things to 2 on 1.
And yeah my wife has saved my ass.
And she isnt trained in anything but "donttouchmyhusband"style.
I have been "braced" by crackheads. And sir, most crackheads sell a gun before they use it.
I have been jumped for being white in the wrong neigborhood(no guns, and no they werent black).
The only time I have ever had a gun pulled on me when it wasnt being fired from a passing car(this seemed to be a sport when I was teenager just to get people to run) was in someones home where I was just screwed if he decided to shoot(I tried to run anyway though). Anyway an American needs an effective martial art as much as any other person, and I resent the implication we dont.

Albino_Mantis
10-29-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Temujinn
Albino, I have been in plenty of situations that required fighting.
And the criminals where ilive dont all carry guns(Detroit)
And yeah, in a bar, you how many times I have walked up to a pool table to be greeted with a punch in the face?
Luckily I have a very mean wife, who quickly turns things to 2 on 1.
And yeah my wife has saved my ass.
And she isnt trained in anything but "donttouchmyhusband"style.
I have been "braced" by crackheads. And sir, most crackheads sell a gun before they use it.
I have been jumped for being white in the wrong neigborhood(no guns, and no they werent black).
The only time I have ever had a gun pulled on me when it wasnt being fired from a passing car(this seemed to be a sport when I was teenager just to get people to run) was in someones home where I was just screwed if he decided to shoot(I tried to run anyway though). Anyway an American needs an effective martial art as much as any other person, and I resent the implication we dont.

Starting with your last sentence, I never said the US didn’t need an effective MA, in reviewing my post, I don’t even see where you get that idea from. All I am saying is that most MA in the US aren’t faced with situations where they need to use their MA in the violent sense. I am also saying that all MA spend more time using their MA for things they don’t even realize they are using it for.

Now to address the rest of your email:

For you, your statement is valid, and my answer to you would be different, given your life circumstances.

One of the thing you need to look at is, you didn’t bring up the questions of Reality training. For you the question is answered by your life and the events that transpire in it.

A person who needs to start a thread asking about Reality training doesn’t live in your world, doesn’t face the violence you face. They are asking the question from a place of ignorance, ego, and the desire to be the next Bruce Lee. They have little to no understanding of what true violence is, what its like to really fight for your life.

So, my statement wasn’t directed at your or anyone in your situation. My statement is directed at people who think it would be cool to be a bad-a** and thus they want to train how they think people like Bruce Lee trained.

I hope this has helped to clear up any confusion.

Thanks.

Temujinn
10-29-2003, 05:33 PM
sorry albino, i must have gotten the names confused i will re-read.
my bad.
and I see your point about the thread I dont actually know the gentlemen who started the thread.
I was a little touching anyway(irratated by something else when I posted, so like I said I must of misread)
As far as a violent area, I used to be really bad at judging situations, I have worked hardest on improving that, and shedding the macho bull****, that gets you hurt.
I do want to say this, Every fight, every fight I "started", I lost.
Which goes back to my firm belief that the guy looking for trouble is rarely prepared for it.

No_Know
11-18-2003, 10:12 AM
"What reality martial art do you train?"

Thinking.