View Full Version : Mullins Tournament

Judge Pen
10-20-2003, 08:04 AM
If anyone is interested in participating in the tournament or just checking us out here is the preregistration form due on October 25, 2003.

www.mullins-shaolin.com/events/tournaments/5/registration.html

If you plan to come, then please e-mail or PM me so that I can put a face with your posts and see that you are welcome.

Shaolin-Do
10-20-2003, 08:06 AM
Too far and not enough $$ or time. And the SC seminar is waaay closer. :)

Good luck and best wishes to those who go and compete however. It would be nice if some of the anti-SDers went so they had something to actually base their criticisms off of.
;)

GreyMystik
10-20-2003, 08:08 AM
is it open to all?

Judge Pen
10-20-2003, 08:15 AM
It's open to all Chinese Martial Arts. (Flame away)

norther practitioner
10-20-2003, 08:16 AM
So with those divisions they equate a black belt with a three year practitioner...:rolleyes:

themeecer
10-20-2003, 08:18 AM
Yes open to all.

Judge Pen
10-20-2003, 08:20 AM
We are assuming that you train hard. Some people don't have official ranks.

We had a problem with some other styles coming in and wanting to compete in the green sash division even though they had been practicing for three years and had students of their own. 3 years of good training should have you ready to spar at that level.

MasterKiller
10-20-2003, 08:21 AM
So with those divisions they equate a black belt with a three year practitioner... Taiji Legacy has "advanced" at 4 years and above. 3 years isn't too far off the mark for the advanced category.

If you are going to have weight divisions, though, I think you should have a "middle-weight" group. A 175-lb guy could cream a 135-lb guy pretty easily.

Shaolin-Do
10-20-2003, 08:25 AM
My Shifu for Taiji just teaches by groups... beginner, intermediate, and advanced.

MasterKiller
10-20-2003, 08:25 AM
SD, you taking Taiji thru college?

ninthdrunk
10-20-2003, 08:44 AM
Grandmaster sin is only teaching the monkey fist form in tenn, right? Will he be teaching the double fan kata as well? Thanks!

Ben

Judge Pen
10-20-2003, 08:49 AM
I don't know if he will be in for this tournament, and I don't think there is a seminar the next day.

ninthdrunk
10-20-2003, 09:02 AM
Oh, I thought that awhile he go the plan was for him to teach the shaolin monkey fist after the tourney. Well, you would know better than I. Thanks!

Ben

Judge Pen
10-20-2003, 11:06 AM
I think that was the plan initially.

Anyone here planning on coming and checking us out?

norther practitioner
10-20-2003, 11:22 AM
Too far...

I have other plans already too.... :(

If he has again this time next year I'll try to fit it in though...:)

trilobite
10-20-2003, 01:52 PM
Does anyone have any idea why GM Sin Thé can't come? I was looking so forward to that Hou Ch'uan seminar and found out Saturday that it was cancelled.

Judge Pen
11-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Did anyone come and check us out?

joedoe
11-03-2003, 03:54 PM
I tried but it was a little bit too far away.

And I had to wash my hair that day too :D

norther practitioner
11-03-2003, 03:59 PM
JP, no recap....

Meat Shake
11-03-2003, 04:03 PM
JP - your pm box is full.

Radhnoti
11-03-2003, 05:04 PM
I was stuck workin' until 6 that day JP, meaning I couldn't have been there until 8:30-9ish. Sorry I missed it...bet it was great.
Stupid work, getting in the way of the important stuff...

Judge Pen
11-04-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
JP, no recap....

We had about 150 overall competitors in the kung fu side. Most were from SD, but there were a few other arts represented. I fought a PM guy in non-stop that had some nice takedowns and a quick first hit. I didn't place in forms or weapons, but I took 3rd in non-stop and second in point sparring.

The demonstation was very nice. Mike Mullins did a Tiger, Kevin Mullins did a Dragon, and Master Mullins did a Snake form I have never seen before. I did Hsing-I two man set and a sai v. dao fight routine with my teacher. Overall a good day, but I was hoping that some more non-SD peopel would come by.

Bluesman
11-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Well done, JP. I did not know that it was that large of a tournament.
For next years demo, why don't you do a Kwan- Do vs single sai? With lots of power!!! Just kidding.

Judge Pen
11-04-2003, 07:39 AM
Thanks Bluesman. We're not as big as Lexington, but I'd like to see more diversity in the competitors.

I can say this about the Mullins': They know how to put on a nice demonstration.

trilobite
11-04-2003, 04:21 PM
I heard that Kevin's Dragon form was just a snippet of one of the smaller less destructive forms.

Also Master Mullins' snake form was about 1/8 of the actual form and some alterations were done so as not to make GM Sin too angry.

joedoe
11-04-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by trilobite
I heard that Kevin's Dragon form was just a snippet of one of the smaller less destructive forms.

Also Master Mullins' snake form was about 1/8 of the actual form and some alterations were done so as not to make GM Sin too angry.

Why would Sin The get angry over a demo?

Judge Pen
11-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by joedoe

Why would Sin The get angry over a demo?

I don't know. :confused:

joedoe
11-04-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by shaolinarab
i don't think gm sin would get angry, but i do know some people are very traditional when it comes to demo forms...meaning they dont like to see 'made-up' forms. i heard someone commented that some of the forms were made up, so they might as well have done wushu! :eek:

i'm not sure if they realized that some of those same forms were not made up but just a combination of other forms. oh well, you have to respect those who are conversative when it comes to such things, and those who are not.

the demos were still badass IMO

A demo is a demo, what difference does it make if it is a real form or made up? I am sure even traditional masters don't really care. What counts is the skill that is displayed.

rogue
11-04-2003, 09:30 PM
KFM: the new Shoalin Do forum.:rolleyes: Hey at least get that mullet wearing grand master of yours to post here.:p

yu shan
11-05-2003, 05:51 AM
Judge Pen

Apologize for not making your tournament, logistics got in the way. I look forward to bringing our group next year. Keep me posted on events in and around our area.

Did the Wah Lum School send any representatives, you had mentioned fighting a PM stylist.

Is the Demo open to outsiders?

Liokault
11-05-2003, 06:30 AM
shaolinarab

i heard someone commented that some of the forms were made up, so they might as well have done wushu!

But all forms are made up at some point:confused:

Oso
11-05-2003, 06:35 AM
congrats on placing.

sorry about not coming, my first free weekend for over a month...

...except for the 3 hour class saturday and 2 hours of judo sunday...

:confused:

I must be confused about what 'free' means...

Judge Pen
11-05-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by yu shan
Judge Pen

Apologize for not making your tournament, logistics got in the way. I look forward to bringing our group next year. Keep me posted on events in and around our area.

Did the Wah Lum School send any representatives, you had mentioned fighting a PM stylist.

Is the Demo open to outsiders?

Yu Shan,

I will keep you posted on the scheduling for next year. Let me know if your shcool is having any demonstrations/tounaments/or seminars as I would love to attend.

He wasn't Wah Lum. Wah Lum didn't participate. It was some kung fu school in North Carolina, but I need to get more information about them. I asked him and I thought he said "highland kung fu" but Yazen thought he mentioned a city name when he asked him. Oso, have you heard of a "Highland Kung fu" in your area.

The Demo was open as well.

Oso, your free weekends sound like mine!

Meat Shake
11-05-2003, 10:02 AM
My "free" weekends mean drinking too much, not sleeping enough, and waking up early to train for 3 or 4 hours.... ugh...
;)

Judge Pen
11-05-2003, 10:14 AM
I'm glad to see that you have your priorties straight! :p

Judge Pen
11-05-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by rogue
KFM: the new Shoalin Do forum.:rolleyes: Hey at least get that mullet wearing grand master of yours to post here.:p

We might, but someone already took his name and posted here. :D

CaptinPickAxe
11-05-2003, 12:36 PM
*******!

we should find out who he is and voodoo him.
I'll make a black wreath that smells of cat urine and we'll put it under his bed. that'll teach him.

Does he have his name copywritten too?

Oso
11-05-2003, 08:41 PM
mmm, did you get his name?

to the best of my knowledge the only other people claiming mantis in NC are my old group. some of them would have quick hands and decent takedowns.

they would be "Blue Ridge Kung Fu" probably Boone, Lenoir or N. Wilkesboro.

doesn't mean there isn't someone I haven't run across.

shaolinarab
11-05-2003, 09:01 PM
oso, that might have been it....i checked the website....interesting...
there were 2 guys at the tournament, and when i asked one of them what he studies, i believe he replied si lum kung fu (like blue ridge), and when i asked if he was with the other guy, he said, 'no, but we have the same master.' interesting thing is this guy had a gi with a purple belt (and blue ridge's website doesnt list a purple belt), while the other guy had a tai chi uniform on.

i dont know if this would help pinpoint him, but the guy who was doing mantis that JP fought did have quick hands and would jump from side to side, and whenever he scored a point he'd immediately stand erect with his hands behind his back.

trilobite
11-05-2003, 09:13 PM
The demos WERE insanely good.

As for the NC school, I met 2 of the guys and the stuff they did was pretty good. I believe they said it was Kung Fu academy, but there was something before that. I forget, it was noisy so I just did the typical thing, you know, grin and nod:)

But yeah, one of their students got second in teen boys' blue-green sash sparring. They wear black uniforms at the start of their training too.

Awesome tournament, it was huge. I do feel sorry for the Capoeira guys though. They SHOULD NOT have been placed in the karate division. But they only had about 10 students too.

That had to have been one of the biggest tournaments ever! I'm willing to bet it's starting to rival the Lexington tournament in size.

Next year will just be amazing.

Oso
11-05-2003, 09:15 PM
hmm, nothing particularly indicative in that.
a few of those guys would do something silly like wear a purple belt.

I've not really been a part of that group for a little over 2 years.
officially not just recently.

the HQ is Boone. there are schools in Damascus VA & Mtn City TN run by a guy who was senior to me, could have been some of his guys.

uniforms were sorta non standardized. we did a fair amount of grappling for 'kung fu' and the frog tops didn't hold up so we would wear heavy canvas gi's a lot for longevity.

sorta glad I didn't go now. I'm not looked upon favoribly anymore.;)

whenever he scored a point he'd immediately stand erect with his hands behind his back.

that's just dumb, no matter what type of sparring.

Oso
11-05-2003, 09:18 PM
As for the NC school, I met 2 of the guys and the stuff they did was pretty good. I believe they said it was Kung Fu academy, but there was something before that. I forget, it was noisy so I just did the typical thing, you know, grin and nod

But yeah, one of their students got second in teen boys' blue-green sash sparring. They wear black uniforms at the start of their training too.

Blue Ridge Kung Fu Arnis Academy.

the training was pretty good...it produced me after all:D
too much BS in the long run though.

yu shan
11-05-2003, 10:45 PM
Oso

Yup, clean act to follow...

When is this Lexington gig? And after hearing from Trilobite, I`m p*ssed about missing JP`s tourny. We will give support next year, and bring our Mantis group.

Oso
11-06-2003, 03:44 AM
and it was interesting to see that guy use mantis handwork against JP. he also said he mixed in some leopard, but with the gloves on, i couldn't discern such techniques.

pardon me but

mwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ok, got that out.

wasn't laughing at you SA

replied to your pm, please email me at the enclosed email.

yu shan
11-06-2003, 07:09 AM
Shaolinarab

Appreciate the info, I respect your get-together in Lexington.

Judge Pen
11-06-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Oso

pardon me but

mwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ok, got that out.

wasn't laughing at you SA

replied to your pm, please email me at the enclosed email.

Thanks for the info Oso. I thought he did some unusual things too, but I had to respect his hand speed and his unortodox takedown. Fortunatley for me he didn't do much for the 3 seconds they allow you to fight on the ground. :D

Yu Shan, I replied to your PM.

Oso
11-06-2003, 10:46 AM
can you describe the takedown?

Judge Pen
11-06-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Oso
can you describe the takedown?

I haven't seen a video of it yet, and it happend very quickly, but my best guess is he sort of latched on and stuck to me as I was coming in and then threw his own weight backwards pulling me down with him. As soon as I lost my root I came up swinging but it was still a nice takedown.

norther practitioner
11-06-2003, 11:53 AM
Anyone going to be at the Kansas City tournie in March (an open tournie on the Kansas side)?

I think we're bringing a team there.:D

Oso
11-06-2003, 12:57 PM
did he bring his foot up to your hip?

if so then that MAY have been what we call a 'dragon' throw but it's essentiall the same as judo's tomoenage

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/tomoenag.gif

Judge Pen
11-06-2003, 01:06 PM
No (I call that a sacrafice throw) it was more like he threw his legs behind my hips (to one side) and let his body weight bring me down as I was pressing forward. I've done the same thing trying to bring down a large running back in my football days.

NP, If I go anywhere this Spring I may try to make it to Columbus and see what things look like up there.

trilobite
11-06-2003, 11:16 PM
Yu Shan, it'd be great to have you and your training partners compete with us. I do wish we had more open tournaments. It's a shame really. Though Lexington is too big as it is and we've learned from the past what can happen if some people with egos bigger than they can handle walk in, as Yazen and Ben have already stated.

I'm already training hard for next year, so if any of your boys are between the ages of 14-16 and will have 2-3 1/2 years experience, you better get them ready!!!:D