PDA

View Full Version : MA For The Disabled

BentMonk
10-20-2003, 02:06 PM
Greetings good people. I am currently working with the city of Louisville, and their Adapted Liesure Dept. to start a MA program for disabled people. It is my goal to help more than just the people in Louisville. If you or someone you know would be interested in something like this, please get in touch with me.

Paul

SifuAbel
10-20-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by BentMonk
It is my goal to help more than just people in Louisville.

If not people, then what? Barnyard animals? Fish?

BentMonk
10-20-2003, 06:30 PM
I was typing caffiene free this morning. Thanks for the somewhat humorous commentary. ;)

Jzf_K
10-20-2003, 06:57 PM
How bout you buy them all guns instead...or make a sports team and buy them guns as well.

BentMonk
10-21-2003, 03:16 AM
"How bout you buy them all guns instead...or make a sports team and buy them guns as well."

I am a martial artist, not a marksman. As most who practice martial arts for any length of time know, it's about more than just defending yourself. I'm not sure if your post is a joke or not. If it is a joke, it isn't funny. If it's not, please go be a smart azz on another thread.

Kristoffer
10-21-2003, 04:50 AM
It would make sense if the disabled was strapped. (if self defence is the goal)
But if you want to build character, hearth and self confidence then MA is a good idea.

Marky
10-21-2003, 04:52 AM
Hi BentMonk,

I wouldn't be the person to start something like that in my city/county/state/whatever, but you got me interested all the same. In what way are the people you work with disabled? Do you have to customize a curriculum for everyone? Does it work pretty well? Regardless, you certainly have more patience and ingenuity than myself if you're making things work!

BentMonk
10-21-2003, 06:04 AM
Mark - My case of Cerebral Palsy is fairly mild. It affects only my legs. The left more so than the right. My upper body works just fine. I can't kick. My instructor changed all the kicks in our material to knees and elbows. He didn't just throw them in at random either. Everything he has taught me is practical and can be used effectively. The individuals I will mainly be working with are in similar condition. I have used the mental focusing aspects of MA training to help individuals who were profoundly disabled gain more control over their body. While they were not jumping up and doing forms, they were able to do more within their limitations. The two main requirements for me to work with anyone are the cognitive ability to understand what I am teaching, and a strong desire to learn and acheive. Realistically I know that not everyone I work with will be entering tournaments and competing against non-disabled martial artists like I do. Still, if I can help them gain more control over their minds and bodies, and improve their quality of life a bit, I will feel I've done something good. To more directly answer your question, yes I will realistically evaluate each individual I work with as to their strengths and weaknesses. I will then discuss with them the goals they hope to acheive through training. Once this is done, I will do my absolute best to help and inspire them to do just what they set out to do. Thanks for your interest and support.

Paul

Black Jack
10-21-2003, 08:46 AM
Actually the firearms training idea is dead on from a self defense based point of view. Since you do not have the qualifications to teach tactical shooting skills it might be a good idea to incorporate your program with a group who does offer those services.

Here is a article on handicap shooters from the IDPA

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/handicapped_0605

BentMonk
10-21-2003, 08:58 AM
BJ - Thanks for the link. Interesting and informative. I'll see what if anything like that is available here.

Black Jack
10-21-2003, 09:06 AM
No prob. Its just one more tool to fit into an intelligent armory. At least this way if you have those students who are interested you can offer them a informative avenue to a place you trust.

You may want to take a look at other options in the force continuum to round it out and offer other levels of defense. OC spray, stun guns, tactical folders, bright white light, that sort of thing.

Good luck to you and I hope you get a program together. Its a noble effort.

Oso
10-21-2003, 09:16 AM
Bent Monk, nice work.

I just had a woman come in who has had both hips replaced but still wants to train and judging by the way she went at the two man hand drills last night, I think she'll stick with it.

as I progress with her, I'd like to drop you a pm and talk about the mods your teacher did for you.

Oso
10-21-2003, 09:19 AM
I think the important thing in a program like you are talking about is the determine if the goals are just for better quality of life and a sense of achievement or if real self defense is also a goal.

If you are wanting to teach them SD tactics then fwiw I'll second Black Jack's suggestions.

BentMonk
10-21-2003, 09:26 AM
Oso - I'd be glad to offer any assistance I can. Please give your new student my best wishes and encouragement. I salute you as another instructor willing to take on the task of doing something unconventional. It's difficult, but very much worth the effort.

BJ - Thanks for even more good suggestions. I have some friends who are retired police officers. I'm sure they could help me with the things you've mentioned.