PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Friendship Seminar?

Zhuge Liang
10-21-2003, 03:48 PM
Hello folks,

A couple of my sihengs have been toying with the idea of having another Wing Chun friendship seminar/gathering/whatever-you-want-to-call-it in the near future. The plan is to arrange it in the SoCal area so that it would be more conveniant for some of the wc groups down there to attend, since our last such gathering was in NorCal. Nothing set in stone; I basically want to see how many people are interested. If so, please let me know. Personally, I'm hoping to meet some Hawkins Cheung people, some Robert Chu people, Gary Lam, and Emin Boztepe people. Those are the groups that I know of that train down there, but of course the more the better.

The idea is the same as the April 27th meeting. Gather to chat, to train, engage in friendly chi-sao, etc.

Please let me know if you're intersted. I think we're aiming for November or December, but that may depend on everyone's availability.

Regards,
Alan

Ernie
10-21-2003, 04:08 PM
alan,
i'm down , i could pull together a few different people from all those you listed since i tend to work out with all those and then some from time to time , i'm from the gary lam camp . just keep me posted .
ernie

PaulH
10-21-2003, 04:20 PM
If I'm free and able to come, I'll be there. Sound like a fun meeting of different WC folks.

Regards,

PH

yuanfen
10-21-2003, 04:34 PM
Alan- good idea- but sorry cant go-- been doing quite a bit of wing chun and non wing chun travelling this year and some other wing chun projects are coming up. Catch you another time. Joy

Ernie
10-21-2003, 04:40 PM
joy
that's to bad , all though often don't see eye to eye on things it would have been cool to meet you and pick your brain a bit , who knows some times i go out your way on little weekend escapes with my girl , may be we will bump into each other one day ,
hope all is well and thanks for the b day wishes
ernie

yuanfen
10-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Ernie-
hopefully- another time..My meeting with people to discuss and do things of common interest is not isomorphic with having the same views.
In wing chun, politics and religion--- often my freinds' perspectives are quite different from mine.
I cant reasonable expect firends to be right every time <g>.
But happy b day again-relish the moment!
Joy

Phenix
10-21-2003, 07:30 PM
Paul, Ernie,
You guys promise to bring your pillow? :D

Ernie
10-21-2003, 07:44 PM
only if you promise to keep telling me your bed time stories , the history of wing chun will knock me out in 2 seconds flat :D :D
but on a serious not it would be cool to hang out .
hope all is well hendrik

Zhuge Liang
10-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Incidently, if anyone in the bay area is interested, I'm thinking of renting a van so that we can drive down together if we have enough people. Rental fees and gas shouldn't be too bad if we split it.

Regards,
Alan

Phenix
10-21-2003, 11:15 PM
Erni,
who should be attent? Lucy Liu? Uma? Diaz? :D

Ernie
10-22-2003, 07:02 AM
none of those chicks there all to skinny , they look good on film but in real life there all bones ,
i prefer a little more substance ;)

Phenix
10-22-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Ernie
none of those chicks there all to skinny , they look good on film but in real life there all bones ,
i prefer a little more substance ;)

You mean you like the Chic or the Daugther of Wang Wah Bo (Hung Gam Bo) in the movie the Prodigate Son? That one Yuen Biu doing Chi Sau with? :D

Nah, I rather goes with the lucy, diaz, or her -----V

PaulH
10-22-2003, 08:23 AM
Hendrik,

Your wife is either very understanding or very wise! She must have seen some special things in you that not many American woman would put up with! Ha! Ha!

Phenix
10-22-2003, 08:30 AM
Paul,

why is a wife can accept her husband always meeting Wing Chun? Paul, did you explain to your wife that WC is a girl's name? :D

Think about how the wifes will react if there is Chi Sau game every week and the attendent are Uma, Diaz, .....

Well, anything happen we can use the same technic of Jacky Chen. He said " I am sorry that I have made a mistake all men will make." Since Jacky drag me into his deal I will do it and drag Jacky in too . Jacky is my role model! :D

Ernie
10-22-2003, 08:48 AM
hendrik
i would take a big j lo booty or Beyounce , over those twigs , i like to keep things gully , i'm just ghetto that way:D

Phenix
10-23-2003, 08:32 AM
when do you guys going to do it?

Zhuge Liang
10-23-2003, 09:50 AM
Hi Hendrik,

Originally posted by Phenix
when do you guys going to do it?

I'm fairly flexible, but I want to make it conveniant for most people so that we can get as many people as possible. Paul, Ernie, do you have any preferences?

How about the weekend of December 6th (in between the holidays)? Anyone that's intersted in attending (even from the bay area), please let me know if this date will work for you, or if not, name some dates that you would be available.

Thanks,
Alan

PaulH
10-23-2003, 09:57 AM
My schedule is open on Sat. from morning to afternoon on 12/06/03 so far. Is it going to be close to Los Angeles City?

Thanks,

PH

Zhuge Liang
10-23-2003, 01:19 PM
Hi Paul,

Originally posted by PaulH
My schedule is open on Sat. from morning to afternoon on 12/06/03 so far. Is it going to be close to Los Angeles City?

It's going to depend on what's conveniant for you guys. From my perspective, it's going to be a long drive anyway, and a few miles here or there won't make too big a difference.

Ernie, can you ask your friends and training partners as to what's conveniant? Is Dec 6 acceptable? And how about location?

Let me know, thanks.

Regards,
Alan

Ernie
10-23-2003, 02:34 PM
alan,
i ask them , bozetepe people are in l.a. wsl are in monterey park and venice , moy yat people in l.a.
i.m in the pasadena area ,
did you want it strictly wing chun , i got some very talented filipino ma , mauy thai , boxers ,and kick boxers that i work out with and there great for proving if stuff really works , good natured but some are at the pro and semi pro level so there is b.s. when it comes to working off there energy .

Mckind13
10-23-2003, 02:56 PM
I am in !

David

Zhuge Liang
10-23-2003, 05:51 PM
Hi Ernie,

alan,
i ask them , bozetepe people are in l.a. wsl are in monterey park and venice , moy yat people in l.a.
i.m in the pasadena area ,
did you want it strictly wing chun , i got some very talented filipino ma , mauy thai , boxers ,and kick boxers that i work out with and there great for proving if stuff really works , good natured but some are at the pro and semi pro level so there is b.s. when it comes to working off there energy .

Personally speaking, I don't mind. I'm not sure what everyone else's feeling on this is. I would like the event to be as ego-less as possible however. I'd prefer if there were less potential of "my wing chun is better than your wing chung" type attitudes or "my muay thai is more realisitic than your style" type attitudes.

So it looks like we have two options. Have a gathering to learn more about wing chun (through each other's hands and experiences), or a gathering to "see if our stuff really works against non-wing chunners." I don't know. I could go either way. But the original intent was the former, to explore the hands of different wing chun schools.

Your call. I would still like the opportunity to touch different wc hands however.

Regards,
Alan

Ernie
10-23-2003, 07:05 PM
no worries
they guys i work with are very ego less '' except the thai guys ''
but i don't want anyone to be uncomfortable or discouraged , i'm not into competeing with wing chun people, i find that boring '' oh look i can striaght blast oh look you can striaght blast'' i don't feel that it's productive , i like to work off other styles and athletic people , and i would love to give others the oppertunity ,
but that can be for another time , after we get to know each other and realize we arn't all nuts:D
as for touching hands with other wing chun people that's fun and all but i'm more into training approachs , how different schools develop the attributes , that way everyone can get something . not just your pak sau is faster then my pak sau stuff , or my form is this so it must be better blah blah blah
leave politics for the historians meet as individuals sharing experiences
i 'll check my dates but so far so good ,

KenWingJitsu
10-26-2003, 11:32 PM
**** Ernie!!

Your post is just full of pimpology! I love it.

Oh and you have great taste in a womans best ASSets.... You take Beyonce, I take J-lo....deal? And yes, bring those peeps.

Ernie
10-27-2003, 08:18 AM
ken
why thank you my ghettocentric brother , i do have a degree in bootyallogy,

:D
and if i really apply myself i can get my masters :D

hopefully this thing will come togetner and we can all hang out ,
i'll leave my group of misfits out of this so every one can just relax and chill ,
i was thinking of inviteing gary and hawkins , i mentioned it to them them on sat , and they seemed interested but that might be to much on the heavy hitter side , i would think this is more for us small fish to get to know each other ,

peace
p.s. know and good semi corrupt accountants out here i can hook up with :D i think i will need some creative math this year when my taxes roll around

Zhuge Liang
10-27-2003, 09:16 AM
Hey Ernie,

Are we able to nail down a date yet? I'd like to make it official so that I can notify some guys at my end and people can begin to make preparations for it. Does Dec 6 sound ok, or is another date more conveniant?

Thanks,
Alan

Ernie
10-27-2003, 09:36 AM
dec 6 sounds good to toss it out there and we can alter it if need be as the group takes shape :)

Ernie
10-27-2003, 09:36 AM
dec 6 sounds good to toss it out there and we can alter it if need be as the group takes shape :)

it will save me from christmas shopping that day:D

AndrewS
10-27-2003, 10:32 AM
Right, the 6th sounds good for me. I'll try to pull some folks in out of the WT woodwork.

As Hendrick seems to have an interest in bony anorexic chain-smokers packed with neurosises, do we wanna do this thing in Hollywood?

'36-24-38?/ Maybe if she's 5'" '- Sir Mixalot

Andrew

Zhuge Liang
10-27-2003, 10:51 AM
Hi All,

This seems to be shaping up nicely. So far we have confirmations from Gary Lam's camp (Ernie and Paul), Robert Chu's (Dave), Emin Boztepe's (Andrew), and our infamous Ken Chung camp (myself and at least a couple of my sihengs). Do we have any other confirmations Ernie? Also, since you guys are the locals, can you also pick out a location? Let me know asap so I can begin to spread the word up here.

Regards,
Alan

Ernie
10-27-2003, 12:51 PM
well
there is another wsl guy out of venice , i can try and a special guest to be named later i'm working on . but don't want to make any promises
i'm trying to track down a moy yat instructor out in the hollywood area , and my friend robert kincaid and all i can say is you would have to spend time infront of him to understand he is not from this planet , he is instucter under vunak but he is so **** good both gary and hawkins have either had him do seminars or asked him to work out privately
any out of the wing chun box questions or energies ,training methods , workout routines , what ever this is the guy to ask , he is humble and giving .
that's all i got so far as for location depends on the size of the group and the weather ,
i use top have get togethers at the rose bowl in pasadena , but i'm open to what ever

PaulH
10-27-2003, 01:12 PM
Hey Ernie,

I'll second your opinion that Robert Kincaid is humble and giving. One time I saw him standing around Gary's gym so I asked him how Bruce Lee can close the gap of 8 feet or longer so quick. And the man gave me a detailed and honest answer of the special training that makes it possible. It would be cool if you can invite him as our special guests as I know he is very observant and helpful when it comes to improving your WC skills.

Regards,

PH

KenWingJitsu
10-27-2003, 03:31 PM
p.s. know any good semi corrupt accountants out here i can hook up with i think i will need some creative math this year when my taxes roll around

Heh Heh. I think I may know one lol. I'll hook you up;)

Zhuge Liang
11-03-2003, 10:46 PM
TTT

Also, what's the latest word, Ernie? Time and location?

Regards,
Alan

Ernie
11-03-2003, 11:13 PM
well so far the date looks good , i got a few people saying there down , and i cleared my schedule , as for location still up in the air i don't know any l.a. spots , but i know a few open air places in pasadena , and there's a ton of places to eat in down town pas. but if you prefer the city or beach area , we might have to ask others for there input ,
andrew , ken any idea's ,
as for time frame i will keep the whole day open , you guys are making the road trip so i will work around your time .
what the group look like so far ken 's camp , emins camp and gary's camp , i might have another branch of the wsl people there , still working on moy yat , and i hope hendrik can roll through.
email me and i'll pass you my cell number
peace
i'm fighting a killer flu now but i should be up and running by then

Ernie
11-03-2003, 11:15 PM
maybe we can get some of the hfy people down and see what there into

Zhuge Liang
11-03-2003, 11:34 PM
Hey Ernie,

[B]well so far the date looks good , i got a few people saying there down , and i cleared my schedule , as for location still up in the air i don't know any l.a. spots , but i know a few open air places in pasadena , and there's a ton of places to eat in down town pas. but if you prefer the city or beach area , we might have to ask others for there input ,
andrew , ken any idea's ,
as for time frame i will keep the whole day open , you guys are making the road trip so i will work around your time .

We're probably going to be driving down Friday evening. I'll try to schedule it so we get there by 8AM. Not that we need to start at 8. We'll probably stop for breakfast, check in to the motel, and whoever needs a nap can take a break. Anytime from mid-morning is good. As for location, since you are the local, I'll let you decide. Pasadena sounds good to me. But I'd like to nail down the location and time sooner than later.

email me and i'll pass you my cell number peace

Already done. Check your PM if you don't get an email.

maybe we can get some of the hfy people down and see what there into

I've already sent them an invitation, along with a bunch of other groups in the bay area, though I haven't heard back from them yet. (Don't worry guys, John and Dave won't be going :) )

Regards,
Alan

Ernie
11-04-2003, 12:03 AM
cool
i'll give the other locals a few days to offer other locations and if we don't hear anything i'll pick a spot .

i don't know who john or dave are but the sound like fun :D

Mckind13
11-04-2003, 01:34 AM
Well this dave will be there if I can help it. I will invite my Kung Fu brothers as well as my students.

Cheers

David

Ernie
11-04-2003, 06:44 PM
dave
be glad to meet you
so far no one has stepped up with any new locations . all i got is the rose bowl area, it's open air so we sill be subjected to weather , dec can be cold but if you guys don't mind , i don't mind
i will ask hawkins if we can use his school but no promises there.

Mckind13
11-05-2003, 06:05 PM
What about renting a rec center room or a room at a Junior College?

Sometimes as little as 40 - 60 dollars.

We could pass the hat

David

Ernie
11-05-2003, 06:17 PM
i'm putting feeliers out in my area for something like that but everything out here is so expensive , there is a park that sponsers boxing and kick boxing i know the instructer i called him to see if we can get it .
but if any of the l.a. guys can come up with a alternative go for it ...

Ernie
11-07-2003, 12:03 AM
well good news i was telling Gary lam about our little get together and asked if he could recommend any places , and he was gracious enough to offer his school so we could have access to a dummy and poles and knives , we also have a few other little fun toys to play with , the only catch is he has a regular class that day but he will shut it down early so we can train . he said around 11 am . there a few places to eat walking distance , it is his home and open air with some patio coverage . if this sounds good just let me know and I will confirm it with him .

Zhuge Liang
11-07-2003, 01:55 AM
Hi Ernie,

That sounds just about perfect! Please give my regards to Lam sifu and thank him on my behalf. Thank you too for arranging everything. I'll notify everyone up here after the confirmation. Thanks again!

Regards,
Alan

Ernie
11-07-2003, 03:34 AM
alan
one thing we need a head count we can probably work with 20 to 30 people but if it gets bigger then that , we might be packed in.
i got off the top of my head 6 , and maybe a few more if some of the regular class lingers ,

i have seen up to40 plus back there gary has a lot of students but it's so cramped we could never break out the poles .

i will pass on you thanks to gary , just so you know he is real layed back and in formal , likes to crack jokes , but he might not even hang out so we can be free to get to know each other with out a sifu floating around ,

but if you guys want i can try and get him and hawkins to pop in and maybe those who feel like could play with them '' at your own risk '' hahahaha

if you like i can meet your group for breakfast , in the morning or show you wrer the local star bucks is

Ernie
11-07-2003, 11:12 AM
just got word from andrew s
he is in with 1 or 2 more , and also has offered a place we can train in hollywood if the weather looks bad .
thanks andrew

PaulH
11-07-2003, 11:22 AM
I hope it rains hard that day. I like Andrew's headquarter training place. It is very spacious and people were very courteous when I visited the place 4 or 5 years ago. Ha! Ha!

Ernie
11-07-2003, 11:27 AM
sorry paul that place has moved andrew is offering his personal training area , which makes it even cooler of him .
hope this thing works out , it would really be nice to get to know all of you , especially the frisco and diego folks since i take little vacations in those spots all the time , :D

Zhuge Liang
11-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Hi Ernie,

So far, I have at least 5 people who are interested, but there may or may not be more after I send out the confirmation for the location. I don't expect more than 10 from the bay area though. Most likely we'll have at most 6 or 7. As for meeting Lam sifu and Cheung sifu, I would personally love to. Getting your ass kicked is one of the best ways to learn. But only at their convenience and if they want to as well. I don't want them to have to go out of their way.

So is it Andrew's place or Lam sifu's place? We only have a few weeks left, so we'd better nail down the details!

Regards,
Alan

Ernie
11-07-2003, 02:27 PM
o.k.
well for now we shall say dec 6 at gary's address and map info are here http://www.garylamwingchun.com/training.html
if the weather looks to be an issue we can take andrew up on his kind offer .

i'll ask gary and hawkins if they want to hang out , if they do and want to play well that's up to them .

let me know when you decide on a place to stay and if you want me to roll through the morning when you arrive and grab some food , drinks what ever , it's a long drive and i want you and everyone to feel very welcomed , so don't hesitate to ask me for anything that i can help any of you with . i think it was a very cool thing of you to get this thing started .

PaulH
11-07-2003, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys for making this opportunity available. I look forward to know our brothers in the north a little better. Nothing better than the warm sunshine with southern hospitality in California.

Hey Hendrik,

If you like I buy a nice long pillow for you to sleep the night before the fun begins! There is a price for this concession of course! Ha! Ha!

Regards,

PH

Mckind13
11-07-2003, 04:21 PM
Hey my head count may be as little as 1 or as large as 7, I'll try and post next week.

David

Ernie
11-09-2003, 03:24 PM
be looking forward to meeting you dave , and your group .

KenWingJitsu
11-12-2003, 03:28 PM

Ernie
11-12-2003, 04:22 PM
double :D

Ernie
11-16-2003, 10:11 PM
just a small update talked with hawkins today and asked if he could make , sad he would love to but he will be traveling at that time ,
sorry guys :mad:

Mckind13
11-16-2003, 11:00 PM
Not sure if it is 100% confirmed but Sifu Robert Chu may be there. That will be fun. David

Zhuge Liang
11-16-2003, 11:43 PM
Hi Dave,

Originally posted by Mckind13
Not sure if it is 100% confirmed but Sifu Robert Chu may be there. That will be fun. David

Wow, that will be quite a treat. I look forward to meeting Chu sifu. It's a shame Cheung sifu can't make it, I was really looking forward to meeting him as well. But as it is, it's probably too much stuff for me to absorb in one day. Catch you guys in a few weeks!

Regards,
Alan

Ernie
11-24-2003, 12:13 PM
well the big day is getting closer ,
have you guys got a head count , place to stay , directions and so on let me know if i can help with anything

Zhuge Liang
11-24-2003, 12:38 PM
Hi Ernie, all,

4 confirmed for the drive down on my end. Maybe 2 or 3 will fly in, though unconfirmed at this point. See you all there. Should be a lot of fun.

Regards,
Alan

Mckind13
11-30-2003, 07:03 PM
What time does this little meeting kick of anyway?

David

Zhuge Liang
11-30-2003, 07:21 PM
Hi Dave,

I believe it's around the 11:00AM ~ 11:30AM timeframe. Ernie, can you confirm? Also, some of us are going to have breakfast before the actual event. If you're interested, please let Ernie know. In fact, I'd like to know what he picked out myself.

Only a week away!

Regards,
Alan

Ernie
11-30-2003, 09:28 PM
11:00 am is the time there might be some stragelers from the regular class , floating around for a while but if it's crowded they will step out ,
breakfast haven't come up with a spot but i'll ask this week .
i'll pass on my cell number so we can coordinate just email me .

Mckind13
12-02-2003, 09:29 AM
Hello everyone,

I spoke with Sifu Chu yesterday and he regrets that he cannot attend the Friendship Seminar due to a conflict with his clinic and his patients.

He would like to invite everyone in attendance to his regular class at Barnes Park 350 S. McPherrin Avenue.

The class will cover a broad view of the Chu Sau Lei methods and concepts.

The class starts at 2:30 and I will be leaving Sifu Lam's place about 2:15 or so to get there. Afterwards we can go to Noodle Planet (Yummy)!

Also Ernie, where is breakfast? I want some of that too :P

David

reneritchie
12-02-2003, 10:05 AM
Have a great time guys. Some one salute McKinnon for me. Watch Lam sifu's crossing and counter kicking. Watch Robert's body mechanics and smashing. Watch Dzu's eating...

Phenix
12-02-2003, 10:30 AM
Hi Guys,

My brothers extended thier business trip with me, so I am stuck.

sorry cannot join you guys.

PaulH
12-02-2003, 10:31 AM
David,

There are so many good Chinese and Vietnamese restaurants close by the area, but Norm sounds like a good place for good breakfast for most people. I think Ernie can tell you more about the details and other alternatives later. Look forward to see you in person and Dzu as well! It's always nice to have real contact with people you converse with over the virtual net!

Regards,

PH

Ernie
12-02-2003, 11:39 AM
david ,
sorry robert can't make it .
but i'll be glad to meet you and yours , love to chat about the body structure stuff , i have had very detailed conversations with hawkins about these things are his and roberts views similar ?

sounds like norms is going to be the spot there is a denny's a few miles away as well about 10 min. on the freeway so are there any preferences ?

hendrick
sorry you can't make it i was really looking forward to meeting you , another time perhaps and safe travels

rene ,
wish you were here to bro
but i'm sure you will get the scoop

so do we have a final head count

Ernie
12-02-2003, 12:14 PM
just got these directions sent to me
what sounds better
norms is just right off del mar ave and valley blvd, and ihope is just off the 10 freeway i think.... just exit rosemead blvd

AndrewS
12-02-2003, 12:27 PM
Ernie,

Norm's, man, c'mon. The grease is much higher quality.

Andrew

PaulH
12-02-2003, 12:42 PM
I would recommend Norm's. The parking space is spacious. The food, service and price are good and reasonable. Adjacent to it is the Vietnamese cuisine restaurant - My Huong? I think for the adventurous souls. Looking across the Valley Bl. from there is a huge Chinese style shopping complex with all kind of exotic gifts and other specialties shops to satisfy in full your curiousity and size of wallet. Hope you all have a great time!

Regards,

PH

Ernie
12-02-2003, 02:26 PM
paul could you give us more detailed directions , i have never eaten there

Mckind13
12-02-2003, 02:49 PM
Or an address...Mapquest :)

David

PaulH
12-02-2003, 03:26 PM
Easy does it!

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&address=1500+DEL+MAR+AVE&city=SAN+GABRIEL&state=CA&zipcode=91776&homesubmit=Get+Map

Zhuge Liang
12-02-2003, 03:31 PM
So it's settled. We meet at 9AM at Norms?

See y'all there.

Regards,
Alan

Phenix
12-02-2003, 03:33 PM
Hi Ernie,

Sorry about this last minute stuck. Sure will meet you next time when I am in LA area.

Ernie
12-02-2003, 03:47 PM
hendrick
anytrime bro , and i mean that , just let me know when you got a free firday or saterday and i'm sure we can get together and eat discuss wing chun and diaz :)

see you guys at norms , if i'm a little late start with out me i might have to go to gary's first ,
alan call me on my cell when you guys get there or if you need anything .
peace

Ernie
12-04-2003, 09:42 AM
dress warm guys
andrew in case it rains can we vacate to your spot

monterey park c,a, weather

Today: Areas of dense fog through mid morning with visibilities onequarter mile or less. Otherwise mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 60sto mid 70s.
Tonight: Mostly clear. Lows in the lower to mid 50s.
Friday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 60s to lower 70s.
Friday night: Increasing clouds. Lows in the lower to mid 50s.

Saturday through Sunday: Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of rain. Highs in the lower to mid 60s. Lows in the lower to mid 50s.

Sunday night through Monday: Partly cloudy. Lows around 50. Highs in the 60s.

Ernie
12-05-2003, 11:22 AM
well
tommorow is the big day i would realy like to thank alan the ken chung family for tossing out the olive branch , dave and group andrew and group looking forward to hanging out with you guys ,
safe travel for those that have to cover more then the 10 miles i will be driving :D

Mckind13
12-05-2003, 08:46 PM
See you at the greasy spoon!

David

Ernie
12-05-2003, 08:53 PM
see ya there david
just finished my 3rd glass of wine hope i wake up on time :)

Ernie
12-07-2003, 02:01 AM
well
it's 1 am and could you beleve it i just got back from training :)

thank you some much for coming out , and all i can say is you were all a great bunch of guys

alan , thanks for getting this thing going
i had a blast training with you and your group

david
sorry i couldn't make it to roberts gatherieng but i had to keep things going at gary's people were there till 6:30 i still haven' t had lunch ''except for the occasional person i bit'':D

but i realy ment what i said anytime you want to hang or just rap you got my number

andrew
you big freak , i will see you real soon and welcome to the hood '' whens the house party''
KenWingJitsu
yo ''d'' your family and that's that

i hope all of you and your groups had a good time , i know i did and feel blessed in meeting each and everyone that came ,
i think we had up to 6 different families there and a lot of of smiling faces ,
now i need to get some sleep , you guys can give your reports to all those that couldn't make it out

peace ya'll:)

hunt1
12-07-2003, 10:03 AM
Bah- Hope Cali has the big one and you all fall into the Pacific. (Can you say envious ?)

AndrewS
12-07-2003, 11:43 AM
First and foremost, many thanks to Ernie for setting this up. Organizing is always a pain in the *ss in the best of times, so again, thanks.

Sifu Gary Lam was a wonderful and gracious host, a privilige to meet both as a person and a fighter. My thanks for both the hospitality and the few martial pearls I picked up from him among the many he dropped continuously through the day.

Robert Kincaid (Ernie- that's Rob's last name right?) was a blast to work with- the best JKD I've seen and felt up close and personal.

Juergen- good to see you again, sorry we didn't get a chance to roll.

Caulio (sp?)- look forward to catching you again

I'm spacing the name of one of Ken Chung's students who I rolled with- sorry my brain's on the blink- hopefully we'll catch up again when I'm in the Bay area.

Dave Mckinnon- pm me, let's work on some of this greco crossover sometime. Ernie pulled a *sweet* little snapdown/neckpulling hand counter to the underhook which I want to play with more.

All in all, that was an absolute blast.

Ernie- that Australian guy who's living with Gary for the month- we should corner him for a few hours some weekend and break power down for him. It might save him a few years.

Later,

Andrew

Ultimatewingchun
12-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Hi to AndrewS and Ernie...

Sounds like you guys had one h#ll of a good workout...Wing Chun
Greco-Roman cross body holdowns and escapes, underhooking snap-down defenses, JKD, etc.

....I'm jealous.

Guess I'll have to move to California.

But it's all going into the ocean someday...and I know no moves to counter an earthquake !!

yuanfen
12-07-2003, 09:39 PM
Sounds like the Calis hada great time.
there is an anti earthquake move that some have found- recent settlers called it Arizona,

Zhuge Liang
12-07-2003, 09:49 PM
Hi All,

Just got back from the drive. Don't have time to post a review yet. Maybe later. But let me make a few notes.

First off, Ernie is the man, and don't let anyone tell you different, even himself. He did all the hard work of setting this thing up. All I did was send out a couple of emails. Ernie, Gary, and the many students of the school were all very gracious hosts. And like Andrew said, I especially appreciate the time that Gary spent with us and all the insight he gave me. I came away very impressed with Gary Lam sifu, both with his technical skill (which is quite considerable) and his being. He was very knowledgable, very sharing and generous.

I also had the fortune of meeting Robert Chu sifu. He too spent a lot of time sharing his Wing Chun and was very generous with information. He gave me a few pointers to think about and I am grateful for it.

All in all, it was quite an experience and I got to feel many different hands. Each group had a certain signiture and it was a wonderful opportunity to expose myself to how everyone does things. I was impressed with the general level of skill of everyone.

If anyone has any questions about it, feel free to ask. I will try to answer them in my write up of the event. I hope that some of the people who've attended might write something about it as well, so that we can get different perpectives of things.

Regards,
Alan

Ernie
12-08-2003, 12:43 AM
thanks for the kind words from all of you , but really we each made it happen , we all took the time from our lives and made the effort .
and it blows me away to see what a few emails and people with good hearts and like minds can do .

here is the coolest thing of all there was a great desire to learn about each other , there wasn't even a spec '' from my experience'' about any thing political , everyone i talked/trained with left me feeling enriched by the experience ,
from what i heard there were a few ''wrestling matches'' but boys will be boys , and hell this aint ballet

my report ,
well to me it was like i fast forward through a buffet with a lot of good dishes , each had it's own flavor
even people from the same camp had very different feels
the sad part is i wish we could have had time to break things down and share more training concepts , or even compared notes ,
but i was getting pulled in a few different directions and didn't have the time to return and talk with people i had been working out with ,
i spent the most time with the gentleman from your group alan , he was a little sick '' his name escapes me '' but man he was a ball of enthusiasim , good skills . strong root and dominating center very tight and compact , i could have spent the whole day just with him and note scratched the surface of all the things he had to share .
alan please refresh my memory of that gentlemans name and thank him for me , pass on my email or phone number if he should ever want to chat about our work out .

alan
i wanted to spend more time with you as well , but at least we did get work out and i complement you on your skill , your hands were soft and clear the best part is there was no ego just clean wing chun , your a big guy but you didn't use you size at all that really impressed me

you guys represented a quality and charactor that really does your school and sifu justice .
one day soon i hope to visit and work out if you guys.

david ,
dude please forgive me again for not making it to the park , a few guys from my school went to check it out and the really like what robert was putting out there , i was still working out with a small group when they came back and i could see the excitment in there eyes , robert made them think , if you guys filmed that , i would love it if you could hook me up.
i'm also bummed we didn't have but a few minutes to work out , i was really starting to have fun ,
my lasting impression was your power and structure was stable and clear , but the thing i liked most was your intent , every action was geared towards getting the job down , what more could a person ask for your students are lucky to have you . i didn't get a chance to work out with them but howard did and liked them very much .

andrew ,
man you just inspire me on all levels , your skills are great ,your atitude is great , your knowledge and hunger for knowlege is off the chart , you have no idea how cool it was for me to see you working with gary,rob,and howard , i consider you all family , and to see you guys get along so well , i couldn't ask for anything else .
kolja is the other wsl guy from venice i think your were talking about , we will glove up with him soon he invited us over to his school for some heavy contact stuff
p.s. that little escape i pulled bro i just make it up as i go along so i hope you remember it so you could teach it back to me :D

KenWingJitsu
dude striaght up your just bad nuff respect , you feel like a ghost and hit like a truck , thanks for not choking me out to hard , i instantly new i could completely trust you , it was like we had been working out for years , we covered everything , wing chun,punching kicking ,chi sau, power ,speed, foot work , elbow's knees , closing the gap intercepting boxers , the clinch and the list goes on, thanks for you time,energy and spirit

there was another gentleman i worked with , tony or anthony some thing like that , from a non yip man family , i wish i had more time with you as well your enegy was very unique , foot work and distance very different then the norm , i had fun with you as well , there is a puzzle there i wish we would have more time to go over but there were to many eyes on us and we really didn't get to chat one on one before or after we worked out .
but i want you to know i enjoyed the work out

well that's it for now , gary would like to thank everyone that came , he was very happy to see all the different families under one '' roof '' having a good time , any and all are always welcome to hang out at the school , if you guys that shot video could send a copy gary's way that would be cool he didn't ask but i'm sure he would like to watch it .

be well my new and old friends ,
if any of you ever need me for anything just give me a call
p.s. i would also like to thank kathy on a personal note for a wonderful conversation and the documents you sent me.

Zhuge Liang
12-08-2003, 03:14 AM
Hi All,

Here's my summary.

Met up at 9 at Norms to have breakfast. There were 12 of us, and it was a really cool bunch. Great conversations, everyone got along great, and it really set the mood for the rest of the day.

After picking up some supplies we headed over to Gary's place at around 10:30. Class was still in session, but Gary was kind enough to let us share the space. Many of his students greeted us while we walked in. Refreshments and snacks were on the table. Gary then took us on a short tour around the training area. The first thing you notice is the tarp covered mattresses in the middle of the back yard. Practitioners use it to toss their training mates without risk of injury. I got very "intimate" with those mattresses throughout the day. ;)

Behind the mattresses on one side was the dummy. On the other side are two "pole dummies" that Gary uses for pole training. Right next to those is a sort of Bat Jam Do obstacle course. Planks of wood hung on trees with rope. Gary demonstrated that the idea was to clear a path through the hanging planks without getting nailed in the head by their reactions. I gather that your knives must be accurate enough to hit the planks on their center of gravity so they won't spin, and you must move fast enough through the course so as to not get nailed when the planks swing back. All this is of course just my conjecture. Ernie or Paul can correct me on this.

Finally, the kicking dummy was in the back.

After that we basically all spread out and worked out. I had a very nice chat with Paul at breakfast so I decided to go work out with him first. Paul, btw, is an extremely nice guy with refreshingly jovial attitude. Unfortunately for me, although I know he meant well, Paul passed along to about 4 or 5 different people, one after another, about 5 to 10 minutes each, with no break in between. He wanted his sihengdais to see what I felt like and I likewise got to feel, within what seemed like a very short timeframe, a good variety of different hands. But of course I was a little worn very early on (**** my stamina).

Then I worked out with a dude who must have been at least 6'6", and quite frankly, I did not have the experience to handle myself very well. In my school, I'm the tallest, and with the exception of a couple of people, most others are at least half a head shorter. So even though I didn't do as well as I think I should have, I was at least given the opportunity to have certain assumptions of mine challenge, and hopefully I will get better as a result.

I believe I worked out with Ernie next. He has very good hands. In fact, of all of Gary's students I worked out with that day (which was only a very small minority of his students), I thought Ernie's feel was closest to that of Gary's. Very clean, crisp, and powerful, yet sensitive and not overly domineering with brute strength. I have part of this work out caught on tape, so I'll have to analyze it a lot. I promise I will be better the next time we meet. :)

Next Paul did the ultimate hand off. He asked Gary to work out with me. Of course I was waaaaay overmatched, but that was not the point. I had the opportunity to feel some of what Gary's hands were about and therefore had the opportunity to learn from him "hands on." I got most of this part on tape. As I've said before, clean, crisp, powerful, and sensitive. I also felt from him what I have not felt from anyone else so far other than my own instructor. That is the ability to position himself and his hands such that I felt vulnerable in all instances. This not that he had my hands trapped or was controlling in any way. To the non initiated, it would look like two people doing chi sao, with no obvious advantage on either side. To me, it felt like Gary had a "lock" on me and had already intercepted my "intention" before any hands had started. Then Gary went into a short lecture about some of the principles of his Wing Chun. As Andrew pointed out, all very valuable pearls. Gary later commented to me that while I had very good "internal power" (which I assume meant root and structure), but my hands were not there yet. This I agree with, as my own instructor made a similar comment not too long ago, that my hands were not "alive" enough. Yet more for me to work on I guess.

Then I got to work out with Dave (McKind13). Very good structure, very powerful hands. Got me pretty acquainted with the mattresses. :) I think after that was much of a blur, because I was very tired by then. I worked out with a couple more of Gary's students (Sam and another young kid whose name I forget) and spent the rest of the time observing to see what I could learn. I was very nearly saturated by that time though.

Also, another thing to note. Gary handed out to most of us a collection of Wing Chun poems related to training and philosophy, accompanied by a CD. I have not had time to get into them yet, but I mention it as an example of Gary's generosity.

At around 2:30, Dave's group, a few of Gary's students, and I went over to the place where Robert Chu sifu teaches. As I've said before Robert was very generous as well. He explained his system of Wing Chun in great detail. In fact, we spent over an hour going over SLT piece by piece. It was great to finally see Robert's wc structure that I've read so much about. Equally notable were his structure tests, which demonstrated the utility of his theories. Gave me quite a lot to think about. I only had time to work out with a couple of people before I left, but all in all I felt it was a great experience and well worth the trip.

That evening our group met up with Wong Siu, who is my Sibak. Rolled a little bit with a couple of his students and headed to dinner together. It was great that we were able to connect with people from our line as well. It was amazing to me that within a 5 mile radius, there were 3 good wing chun schools, and I'm sure countless other style schools. I am very jealous that these SoCal guys have access to such a large variety of hands.

The next morning we visited sibak again and rolled with more of his students. I even got a chance to roll with sibak, who proceeded to kick my ass (anyone else see a pattern here?). Picked up a bunch of valuable pointers before we had to leave.

So that's all folks. Sorry to be a little long winded. I thought I would go into detail so that those who weren't able to make it got a good sense of what it was like, from my point of view. Perhaps it might generate more interest the next time we have one of these things.

And Ernie, I'll send you and Gary what I have taped, after I've edited out a lot of the dead air and the people standing in front of my camera. It's the least I can do.

Regards All,
and many thanks to all those who participated for the wonderful experience,
Alan

Zhuge Liang
12-08-2003, 04:10 AM
Btw, Ernie, his name is JL. He very much enjoyed working out with you as well. We both shared the same sentiment that too bad you guys are all the way down there. We would certainly like to work out with you again if given the chance. I'll pass along your contact info to JL.

Regards,
Alan

kj
12-08-2003, 04:40 AM
Wow, guys, thanks for the great writeups! I am so glad you all had the opportunity to get together, and such a great sharing and learning experience, not to mention the generosity of Lam Sifu, Chu Sifu, "Uncle" Wong Siu, and everyone who participated!

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

KenWingJitsu
12-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Ernie man!

You are da P.I.M.P. Couldn't have said it better homey. Like I found my long lost training partner. :D Basically, I couldn't be happier that I came. I was still buzzing till this morning...maybe thanks to the multiple, multiple, multiple, multiple pak sao's from Gary ;) I gotta tell you you are lucky to have a Sifu like him, because of the way he is. Remember I'm an "observer" and two big hilights for me were watching the way he interacts with you and Robert, and EVERYTHING he did when he was "playing" with Andrew. Awesome. Like I said...that's the stuff you wanna gleam from him as much as possible because, man, he has tons of experience. Did you see how much I was smiling just watching him?

And as for you, it amazes me how egoless you are. You know my 'observations', but on the real, you have the skills to pay the bills, and yet, you were the perfect host, keeping it on the down low man. The best part of it was was seeing me in you; deep appreciation/understanding of wing chun, married with the knowledge of "HOW TO" go outside "the box" and link it altogether.....along with your nifty little footwork....ya frikking energizer bunny.

Basically, I was glad I came because I found new family, and meeting Robert was beautiful. That man is a pro, and you are lucky to have him around. We'll do it again maygn!!!!

Mckind13
12-08-2003, 08:35 AM
Hey all,

Thanks for the kind words and I will get a review of my own up ASAP.

I spent sunday recovering and working on chemistry so I have not been online.

It was the most fun I have had in a while

Dave

PaulH
12-08-2003, 09:05 AM
Just a thank you note to all who came to this roundtable fellowship! It has been a joy and possitive learning experience for me with those big hearted souls who chi sau, shared, and demonstrated their training methods and concepts briefly with me like Alan, My old Sihing- Kolja, Juergen?, David McKind, AndrewS, and countless other terrific WC brothers. When I have more time, I will post more of some of the highlights especially of Robert Chu Sifu's WC body methods of power generation which he has generously shared with us. While he has just shown us the look of the "money", I sure love to get my hands on the real money someday. Ha! Ha! Until next time...

Regards,

PH

Ernie
12-08-2003, 10:29 AM
andrew
the aussie is gone in two weeks i'm there wed. nights and sat. morn. so if you have a chance drop by and we can help him out , plus he picked up some really good stuff from robert chu , so we could put him in contact with david as well .
btw rob ''kincaid'' liked you and ''d'' alot we had a very long conversation about it the next day , and he can't wait to work out with you guys .

alan
''I thought Ernie's feel was closest to that of Gary's. ''
wow !
i have been told thid by my gung fu brothers before , but i just wrote it off , to hear it from a un biased observer , that is a incredible compliment ,
your way to kind , and i'm sure next time we met you will fold me in half , and i will be smiling the whole time , your good people email me any time you want to break some stuff down .

can't wait to read the rest of the reviews

Phenix
12-08-2003, 12:57 PM
You guys must have a great meeting!

PaulH
12-08-2003, 01:57 PM
To get back to what I mentioned earlier, here is some of the highlights that day to me randomly.

David - Wow! feel like a building or a wall slamming hard when he pak my arm in the demo! Later that day I met his Sifu - Robert Chu who explained a little more of using the hip mechanics to get the whole body to generate force. The fun began when he went aroung pushed his hands against our stance and toppled most of us. It turned out the secret really is a body alignment of the three points in the head, chest, and dantien area and making sure that the hip press forward with a non leaning straight body when you feel force pushing on your body. As we followed his advice, we did not topple under force. You may say this is the closest thing to instant WC enlightenment to me! Ha! Ha! Robert has a wider WC stance similar to the Biu Gee's opening stance which allow him to have a wider range or freedom of hip movement. This is very useful to float, sink, or just be neutral when you handle force that he also mentioned elsewhere on some of his past articles. The proper way to pack a punch...make sure your middle and ring finger are tight first and the thumb not pass the index finger. The punch's wrist are bent similar to when you do push up with the fists next to each other in front of your chest. I am told this is the best way to release force cleanly without any vibration when you punch. We then proceeded to test our punch or palm strikes against a lamp post. There is indeed more clean power with less vibration in this new way. There is more but I leave others to chime in who were there.

Alan and his fellow travellers group- I was impressed in that they as a whole consistently maintained their center undisturbed by my harassing pressure or disrupting forces. I felt that Ken Chung's group shined indeed very well in stability and strong "internal power" as Gary Sifu put it. I am truly glad to have a chance to experience this from these gentlemen.

Well, lunchtime is over and I have to be back to work! All I can say again is it has been a privilige, honor, and great pleasure to meet you all!

Regards,

PH

reneritchie
12-08-2003, 06:27 PM
You bastids make me sick! I have met Lam sifu, Chu sifu, JL, Bob, that David guy, and some of the others, but Andrew, Dhira, Ernie, PaulH, and co. I must track down.

You guys are lucky. I know for some the different methods ranging from Ken Chung to Gary Lam to Robert to Emin Boztepe, etc. cover a vast range, and some will be familiar and some strange and some enlightening and some offensive, but treasure it all, it shows both the depth and breadth and robustness of the art, and the incredible logical conceptual framework that lets you go from dropping someone's arms to sending them flying to duck under and take the back, to inside trip and cross choke.

I'm so flippin jealous! :p

wayward son
12-08-2003, 08:23 PM
Hello All -

I too had a blast at the get-together. Over the last few days I've been thinking about all the different flavors of Wing Chun and how these differences are expressed in Chi Sao. It was great rolling with Ernie, David, Paul and others. I wish that I had more stamina - another thing to work on.

It was great to see so many enthusiastic, sharing WC brothers. Hearing people discuss the differences and similarities in their art in a sharing way was awesome.

Ernie - You and Lam Sifu were gracious hosts. Thanks for setting things up there.

Antonio.

AndrewS
12-09-2003, 02:26 AM
Ernie,

The best sh*t's always what you make up on the fly. Much as I'm philosophically opposed to pre-existing absolutes, it's goodies like that which make me thing the art is discovered by the practitioner, not invented.

you've got some of Gary's flavor, some of Rob's, and your own thing going. I'm way psyched to work more with you and start to get some time in with Rob. I've got to introduce Rob to Mr. Latosa- their heads work similarily.

I may have a free minute next Mon/Tues to catch that Aussie and run through some power stuff- gotta see what get's done on my house.

BTW- I bought a sweet elliptical trainer, power rack, and some bumper plates today. Let's hit some power cleans sometime.

Paul,

we should play with some structure stuff sometime. I'm sorry I didn't make it over to Robert Chu's class- I need to catch a detailed interaction over his approach.

Rene,

dude you get the 3 for 1 deal next time you're out here, *and* I'm grilling.

Later,

Andrew

PaulH
12-09-2003, 08:59 AM
Andrew,

Honestly for pressure and structure's stuffs, my easy going and kick back Sihing - Kolja of the Venice Beach kwoon is the best source. We often have gloves on and just see what we can do. He would love to have you to come over on any Tuesday or thursday evenings. BTW Your structure is very formidable too when we played chi sau! I lost count how many times you break through my hands barrier and grasp me!

Antonio,

Welcome to KFO, bro.! Love to play with you again. You have great stuffs!

Regards,

PH

PaulH
12-09-2003, 06:50 PM
I have a personal request. As I mentioned at our breakfast table that I am very lousy with names though I can remember people's faces very well - The curse of being a visual person! I would like to know the names of the brothers who I have the pleasure of touching hands that Saturday.

Could Alan, AndrewS, David Mckind, and other family guests who came that Sat. morning tell me who were with you guys and what they look like?

I start with Gary's group first with certain people that you may not be familiar with:

1. David - biggest guy with gorilla-like arms.
2. Rob Kincaid - JKD instructor and athlete trainer that was at the breakfast table.
3. Christian - The white dude that looks stocky - used to be wrestler.
4. Howard - the goatee bearded guy from NY!
5. Peter - that wrestling youth who love to play like a big guy!
6. The other Paul - the guy with the pony tail hair
8. Alan - that young asian guy with bright beeming eyes and a big smiling face when talking.

9. Kolja - the german menace blond who likes to push hard in Chi Sau. Skinny but very fit. ( he is my Sihing from the other WSL school)

Also Antonio, can you describe yourself? Ernie and I have a big confusion about what you look like. Many thanks.

Ernie
12-09-2003, 07:43 PM
paul
i remeber antonio
dark hair spec of gray , glasses , my hieght but a bit slimmer , i would guess late thirties early forties , chi sau a little in the long range , worked the outside 45 degree angles , liked to keep a light connection on the wrist , slipped into a double fook sau position quite a bit .
non wing chun family ho man something '' no disrespect intended i just suck with names '' :)

correct me if i'm wrong

AndrewS
12-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Paul,

AndrewS= large, bald, tattooed left arm

Andrew

Zhuge Liang
12-10-2003, 12:00 AM
JL - the guy who worked out with Ernie a lot
Jeurgen - the skinny guy with glasses that Gary worked out with.
Bob - the guy with the mustache

wayward son
12-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Ernie -

Your description of me is very good. Your description of my Chi Sao is also very good - my admittedly poor attempt at managing your excellent center and energy. I learned a lot from our short work-out.

Look forward to seeing all of you again soon. It was a blast!

Antonio.

Ernie
12-10-2003, 10:15 AM
antonio,
bro ''poor '' nothing i liked what you were doing you gave me a puzzle , i felt as if i had to over extend to reach you , '' this is a tactic i use with taller longer people to draw them out of there base''
but i have not had it used on me , i love to work on things that make me think , i would welcome any oppertunity to work out with you again , and really sit and talk and break things down .
don't be so humble , with me there is no need:)

Mckind13
12-13-2003, 07:31 PM
Been busy guys:

PaulH

I had Josh with me Blonde dude, muscular
Faisal the Jolly Bengally
and Adrian my Kung Fu brother.

Also from our clan was Randy (He was sick so sat and watched) and then Ish, dark hair, kinda skinny.

David

Mckind13
12-13-2003, 07:41 PM
Well I have very little to say this late in the game except that it is all true. Everyone was gracious and open and I had a great time.

I want to hook up with Ernie again in the next few months to train some of the things we chatted about and I hope when I meet Andrew S I have a little more Greco to bring to the table:)

Andrew, who's tapes did you recommend?

Well I was surprised by the students from Kens school as they presented energy very different from other students I had met from your school.

Gary's students were a blast, lots of good energy and not once did I worry about a fat lip. I loved the mattresses and all the cool swag in the yard.

Ernie and Paul thanks for getting this thing going.

David

AndrewS
12-13-2003, 08:48 PM
Hey David,

Tapes? I think we talked about Alan Orr's stuff (excellent, and my thanks to him for putting such good material out), and Darryl Gholar's takedown DVD <onthemat.com >.

There's appearantly a good greco guy teaching down in OC. Some of us up here in LA may try to get him up for a clinic.

Drop me a line at <razorbladekiss23@yahoo.com> when you're heading up to LA, as we'll be doing weekend pickup workouts in my garage with some frequency. The format will be pretty free, and should be amenable to non-WC folks participating.

Later,

Andrew

Zhuge Liang
12-13-2003, 09:27 PM
Hi Dave,

It was a pleasure working out with you.

Well I was surprised by the students from Kens school as they presented energy very different from other students I had met from your school.

Please forgive my vanity, but can you elaborate a little on this? What were some of the differences that you perceived? If you like, you can pm me about it. I'm just looking for honest critical feedback, and hopefully, I can learn from it.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Alan

Ernie
12-14-2003, 08:28 AM
david
I want to hook up with Ernie again in the next few months to train some of the things we chatted about

anytime bro,
you got my number :) it would be great to work on stuff
were getting into snow boarding season so i tend to shift interest for a few months , but just like jello '' there's always room for wing chun :D

reneritchie
12-15-2003, 09:39 AM
Did anyone fireman's carry McKinnon? That's what I want to know. That, or a Swanton bomb!

PaulH
12-16-2003, 04:35 PM
Just can't say no to my SiHing. He made me post this! Ha! Ha!

"Say hi to everyone for me, and if you get the chance and post on the message board, please say hi from me and that I enjoyed meeting everyone.

Kolja"

BTW, He told me that he thought AndrewS was very good especially with the takedown stuffs and like David's solid structure as well.

Back to my working corner!

Regards,

PH

Ernie
12-28-2003, 07:00 PM
alan
just wanted to say thank's got the dvd in the mail and so did gary , he wanted me to pass on his thanks and wishes everyone happy holidays

ernie

Zhuge Liang
12-29-2003, 09:43 AM
Hey Ernie,

np, it was my pleasure.

Regards,
Alan

PaulH
02-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Alan,

I got a chance to steal your DVD from Ernie last night. I love it! Picked up some new stuffs from Gary's talk that I missed when I was there! Thanks! Luckily they did not show how badly you beat me up when we chi sau! Ha! Ha!

Regards,
PH

Zhuge Liang
02-12-2004, 08:17 PM
Hey Paul,

Originally posted by PaulH
Alan,
Luckily they did not show how badly you beat me up when we chi sau! Ha! Ha!

Don't worry, Ernie got revenge for you. And so did Peter ;)

Regards,
Alan

Ernie
02-12-2004, 09:12 PM
alan
[Don't worry, Ernie got revenge for you]

no such thing as revenge among friends , please give my regards to your crew .

still planing on making it out your way , so don't be shocked if i just pop up one day:D

Zhuge Liang
02-13-2004, 12:51 PM
Hey Ernie,

You're welcomed to pop in any time, but as I've said before, you may want to check to see that Ken will actually be here when you do show up. He travels fairly often. But seriously, knowing you, with your constant thirst for knowledge, you simply have to meet him. :)

Regards,
Alan

Ernie
02-16-2004, 10:36 AM
alan
your right meeting ken and hangin out with you guys , as well as meeting the other bay area people is high on my to do list my original wing chun teacher is living in frisco though he no longer trains in wing chun , sadly he sustained a bad injury while working out with my friend robert which you got to meet . but i haven't seen him for years and would like to spend time with him as well .
i'm on a mission designing my web site got some crazy idea's about a forum we can all share vide clips on and give our views
some thing we can really learn from .
so i will be caught up for a while trying to make that happen
i have no idea how to make a site but i like a challenge
might even get gary to pad up for some full contact sparring as a treat he offered it to me . he will probably knock me out but you guys would have fun and a good laugh watching it :D

KenWingJitsu
02-20-2004, 03:10 PM
You know I can't wait for that....

Robert did what? lol!

Ernie
02-20-2004, 03:21 PM
Robert did what? lol!

ha ha mr. rob kinkaid is a friggen serial killer , back in the day it was all blood , shirts looked like ketchup fights .
it was a freestyle training injury , but i was there to see it happen , myfriend tried to reface '' regain center '' during a body to body chi sau match ,
rob locked my old teachers wing chun stance in with his own lead leg and grabbed him by the kneck and spun hin 180 degrees
the infamous wing chun stance did what it was desined for it stayed strong and rooted but the guys kneegot twisted all the way around .
it was ugly and very quick .
since then i never was a fan of rooting to much rater stay mobile until the second i need to sit for a quick base .
we are all still friends and in the end my old teacher took over to gary's to continue my training so it all worked out

Ultimatewingchun
02-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Ernie, Ken:

This is going to sound like a giant plug for TWC - but I have to tell you guys...I have NEVER seen any wing chun footwork outside of TWC that makes real FIGHTING sense to me...WITHOUT HAVING SOMETHING ADDED TO IT.

I spent almost my entire 8 years with Moy Yat trying to marry the arm/hand techniques, kicking techniques,centerline theory, basic principles, strategies, etc...he taught with Bruce Lee's footwork - because my streetfight experience "instincts" always rebelled against the footwork I was being taught. It was either "not enough" or just plain ineffective.

Now here's an incident I never related on this forum until now concerning this...John Cheng (Moy 4) was Moy Yat's top student. John was a Karate black belt before joinng Moy Yat, -
and he and I became very good friends...eventually getting together once-a-week privately back in 1979...

We worked full contact (with protective gear) and ALWAYS experimented with JKD footwork - tryting putting it together with wing chun...Then one day John was sent to California for a week by his employers (he worked for AT&T at the time)...

the place he reported to that week was DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET FROM DANNY INOSANTO'S JKD SCHOOL - which at that time was the only JKD school in existence. That Monday night John went in and introduced himself...Danny took a liking to him and invited him to workout...and he worked out with them every night that week...

Inosanto was so impressed that he paid for Moy Yat's plane ticket to come to California (because he wanted to learn wing chun from him) - and then Inosanto also came to New York in September, 1979 for the grand opening of Moy Yat's Chinatown school (previously the school was in Brooklyn)...

When he arrived at JFK airport it was myself, Moy Yat, and one other student (not John) who picked him up at the airport. He stayed for about a week.

Now guess what happened ? I'll give you a hint....John had told me that WITHOUT the private workouts (and the footwork) we were doing together he never would have been able to impress Inosanto and his students...

The relationship between Danny Inosanto and Moy yat was VERY shortlived.

Ernie
02-20-2004, 05:49 PM
i believe you ,
no linage plugging at all just the facts , one of the reasons i stuck it out at gary's was the freedom from any fixed '' robotic or specificly wieghted footwork he was a pro fighter and knows what fly's , any pro from any style that actually fought will stress live natural footwork .
that's why i;m a big fan of weapons sparring maks you quick

as for dan love the dude
if i did it right there should be a picture you can check out

PaulH
02-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Victor,

Well that certainly fitted with the story I once heard from Ray Singer, my KF neighbor. John Cheng, Ray's favorite Sihing at Moy Yat school, indeed "tested" at one point in time his footwork with Dan Inosato people. Later Moy Yat asked John if the WC footwork indeed worked to which John confirmed positively.

Regards,
PH

PaulH
02-20-2004, 06:41 PM
Ernie,

You should consider a movie career as Emin B.'s double! Ha! Ha!

Ernie
02-20-2004, 06:45 PM
dude
give a little more visual credit:)

Phenix
02-20-2004, 07:22 PM

if i did it right there should be a picture you can check out

When is your movie comes out after KILL BILL 2? :D

Ernie
02-20-2004, 07:25 PM
yep me and diaz are making a love story in maui with ninja's

Phenix
02-20-2004, 07:33 PM
yep me and diaz are making love story in maui with ninja's

what do you mean? making love, story ?

Watch out for your wife to be! :D

Ernie
02-20-2004, 07:40 PM
you mean my girlfriend aint no ring on this finger :D
don't hate the player hate the game ha ha ha

Phenix
02-20-2004, 07:43 PM
you mean my girlfriend aint no ring on this finger :D
don't hate the player hate the game ha ha ha

You know about Bruce and Betty? :D

Ultimatewingchun
02-20-2004, 08:02 PM
PaulH:

I remember John relaying that conversation with Moy Yat to me. What Ray Singer probably didn't know was that John DID tell Moy Yat about his workouts with me and what we were doing in terms of footwork.

Moy Yat ordered John to stop working out privately with me after that - and John obeyed his wishes.

C'est la vie !

Ernie: When was that photo taken ?

Ernie
02-20-2004, 08:46 PM
Ernie: When was that photo taken ?
the one with dan about five or six years ago they one at the pool last 4th of july:D