PDA

View Full Version : Fingertip Pushups -- Need Help!

trevorstalker
10-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Hey guys...

I need advice on increasing the number of fingertip pushups per set. Currently I can only do 5, my goal is to achieve 15 by November 20th.

I don't really know what's the problem, IMO it's either balance or stabilization, because I can do sets of 30 regular pushups and sets of 20 diamond pushups, but only 5 fingertip (which is odd, I mean, the probably target the same muscle groups right? I should be able to do the same amount of each one of them)

Any advice would be welcome....

Peace!

Bu Laide
10-21-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by trevorstalker
I can do sets of 30 regular pushups and sets of 20 diamond pushups, but only 5 fingertip (which is odd, I mean, the probably target the same muscle groups right? I should be able to do the same amount of each one of them)

Firstly are you talking about a regular push up using both hands on all fingertips?

If so then they do not target the same muscle groups. Yes you still use the same muscles you would use in a regular push up. This is where it gets different, you also use all the muscles in your fingers, hand and forearms which you would not normally use. This drains the energy right out of you if your not used to supporting your weight on your fingers.

The difference you mention, from 30 regular to 5 fingertip sound about right to me. If you want to increase your total to 15 then you should increase your regulars to about 90, also you should work on the muscles in your hands to get used to supporting your body weight.

Sometimes it helps if you start with a lighter load until you get to about 30 reps. To do this, angle your body upward so your feet are lower then your hands, i.e. feet on the ground and hands on a sofa. Do this until you can do 30+ then try on level ground. Don't restrict yourself to doing an exercise 1 way only. Experiment, get the body to learn new movements and have fun.

Ka
10-21-2003, 09:19 PM
OT
Bu laide, is your username meant to represent "you didn't /couldn't come" or is it something else?
Thanks

Bu Laide
10-21-2003, 09:37 PM
No dude, it's what my Chinese family call me. It sounds a bit like my real name (Brett) when said fast using pinying pronunciation. How about yours? Is it the Ford Ka? Pretty small with no power…:D

trevorstalker
10-22-2003, 05:25 PM
Thanx Bu Laide! Will try that. But I always thought that elevating either feet or chest would target upper and lower regions of the chest. But if you say so... :)

Peace!

Bu Laide
10-22-2003, 06:32 PM
Your right it will work different parts of the chest, but it still works the whole area, thus making it easier to do regular push ups. Never restrict yourself to doing an exercise 1 way or you'll limit your potential.

Also try one armed push ups, push ups with one leg on the ground, handstand push ups and when you get good try one arm and one leg push ups. Variety is the spice of life…..;)

Ka
10-22-2003, 09:54 PM
LOL You must get a lot of laughs with the women :D
Small with no power yeah I been described like that,;) but I drive a VW.

Kumkuat
10-23-2003, 08:08 AM
fingers don't have muscles. It's made up of bone, ligaments and tendons.