PDA

View Full Version : Shuai chiao players

CaptinPickAxe
10-22-2003, 09:26 AM
I recently read the interview with Dr. Yang Jwingming in the Journal of Asian Martial Arts, and came across and interesting point. To better understand a martial art it is intergeral to understand its theories. SC players, can ya'll tell me some the theories behind this MA?

MAist tell me some of the theories in your MA.

Water Dragon
10-22-2003, 09:34 AM
Shuai Chiao Theory If you throw the other guy down hard enough, he wont get back up.

SevenStar
10-22-2003, 09:36 AM
If you can throw a guy on his back, you may as well just throw him on his head

SevenStar
10-22-2003, 09:38 AM
However, my guess is that you're looking more for principles, correct?

CaptinPickAxe
10-22-2003, 10:12 AM
yes...

Tak
10-22-2003, 10:22 AM
Why strike with a fist when you can strike with the earth?

norther practitioner
10-22-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Tak
Why strike with a fist when you can strike with the earth?

'cause bloody knuckles are cool.

SC main principle is throwing is cool, throwing hard is even cooler, and so on.

SevenStar
10-22-2003, 10:29 AM
<plug>

Join the SC mailing list. Several SC masters post there.

</plug>

Tak
10-22-2003, 10:32 AM
SC main principle is throwing is cool, throwing hard is even cooler, and so on.
The other SC main principle is that being thrown sucks, being thrown hard sucks worse, and so on.

Hence the ancient training aphorism:
BREAKFALL BREAKFALL BREAKFALL BREAKFALL BREAKFALL ...

Tak
10-22-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar
<plug>

Join the SC mailing list. Several SC masters post there.

</plug> Don't plugs usually come with a link, or instructions?

Kristoffer
10-22-2003, 10:44 AM
..or flan?

MonkeySlap Too
10-22-2003, 10:46 AM
Just check the Shuai Chiao mailing list.

Shuai Chiao is a simple yet complex art built upon fundamental principles that allow for a great deal of customization - but only if you understand the training principles.

A hint would be that you'll never hear a Shuai Chiao guy talk about how the training was inspired by some physical aspect of nature or other generalities. Everything is very specific, in a logical progression.

Which every good fighting art should be.

yenhoi
10-22-2003, 11:12 AM
Proper breath (relax.)
Proper position (relax.)
Proper motion (relax.)
Centerline "theory" ("natural laws of motion and structure.")
Elbow "theory" (more "natural laws...")
Limb Destructions (nearest weapon to nearest target, attrition, economy.)
Attack.

:confused:

MonkeySlap Too
10-22-2003, 11:30 AM
I was referring to 'inspired by walking on a stairmaster' Inspired by the wind and clouds' and other such ethereal nonsense that means nothing.

I'm not sure if the items you cited are 'natural' laws, but they are principles of many CMA.

To claim a natural law would imply that it is always true - and I don't think that claim can be supported.

fa_jing
10-22-2003, 11:31 AM
the newbs are wondering how to join the list. Is L still handling that?

BTW, this thread would be a great question to post to the list....

norther practitioner
10-22-2003, 11:43 AM
What, you got beef with my Wind Shakes Leaves Hard Chuan...

yenhoi
10-22-2003, 12:00 PM
I meant natural laws as in how we go about exploring centerline and elbows...

for example, you can hardly resist any pressure with your left arm if your right hand is anywhere on the left hand side of the centerline. then go from there. etc.

I had a judo guy (yellow belt??) explaning grips to me the other day. He explained the centerline as "...just dividing the body in half for discussion purposes..."

:confused:

Water Dragon
10-22-2003, 12:08 PM
If anyone wants to join the list, pm me an e-mail address and I'll add it.

Chang Style Novice
10-22-2003, 12:28 PM
Be steadfast and move the other guy around you (and down.)

When you are standing solidly gravity is your friend, when you are off-balance gravity is your enemy.

Moving swiftly is safe, stopping abruptly is dangerous.

Shaolin-Do
10-22-2003, 12:34 PM
CSN - your PM box is full.

Chang Style Novice
10-22-2003, 12:55 PM
Emptied my sent box - please try again.

CaptinPickAxe
10-22-2003, 01:00 PM
Alright friends, I have a sore spot on my ribs. I doesn't hurt to touch it but when i beath in deep or roll over on it in my sleep it hurts to high hell. Its been about a week since I injured myself. Is it a cracked rib or is it just a bruised rib.

Shaolin-Do
10-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Bahahaha... You probably got a bone bruise dude.

CaptinPickAxe
10-22-2003, 01:05 PM
well then...I'll just smoke my pain away then:D

Kristoffer
10-22-2003, 01:07 PM
SKITZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Shaolin-Do
10-22-2003, 01:26 PM
lol. I think kristoffer still thinks Im you.

Anyhow, Im starting to think that the pain in my left shoulder area is a bone bruise too... dont know any other way to figure it out...
And Im going to get a haircut after work, and right after Im going home to work out, so If you want to train, be ready at 5:30 or so.

CaptinPickAxe
10-22-2003, 01:34 PM
Tight...

I just burned a bleasy, and I feel a little bit better. Man, its like god is stabbing me in the lungs when I cough. I could only kill half of it.

LOL, I have to fight to prove I'm real:D

Shaolin-Do
10-22-2003, 01:38 PM
a blizzy? fockers. :mad:

CaptinPickAxe
10-22-2003, 01:47 PM
:D

Shaolin-Do
10-22-2003, 01:59 PM
fockers.
:mad:
Im gonna go get my hair cut. Peaceout.

MonkeySlap Too
10-22-2003, 02:07 PM
If it doesn't hurt MORE when you press on it, chances are it is not a fracture.

Chang Style Novice
10-22-2003, 02:08 PM
Uh, do you mean fokkers? (http://mijnposter.nl/thumbs/450/068s.jpeg)

CaptinPickAxe
10-22-2003, 02:09 PM
check out this guys "shuai chiao" (http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~cliu/FilmClips.html) :D

SevenStar
10-22-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing

L and I both handle it. I'll post a link

CaptinPickAxe
10-22-2003, 02:24 PM
I'd like to learn some silat (http://www.pecahan.com/movies.html)

lkfmdc
10-22-2003, 02:24 PM
I shouldn't share this with you, it is an ancient Tibetan Shaolin secret combat formula

"if you pist, use a fist"
"to make them beg, use your leg"
"if you in harm, thrust you arm"
"and when in doubt, choke them out"

Water Dragon
10-22-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
check out this guys "shuai chiao" (http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~cliu/FilmClips.html) :D

If you're trying to talk smack about LiTaiLiang, you just won the Kung Fu Dum**** of the year award.

norther practitioner
10-22-2003, 02:47 PM
I was trying to figure that out myself.. I watched the first SC clip, and thought it was a good simple demo of that throw (I love twisting throws)...

MonkeySlap Too
10-22-2003, 02:50 PM
Some Shuai Chiao maxims:

"It is better to be thrown than controlled." - meaning: If you are controlled, you can be seriously injured or killed - so it is better to take a fall than to risk a control and throw.

"I bong Gee Kow" - Way to difficult to explain here. Each of these words refer to specific skill like squeezing, or "bumping" that have relevence as attributes used during the execution of a Shuai Chiao technique.

SevenStar
10-22-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing

I don't think anyone would answer it actually... The last time soneone asked for principles to be explained, they were basically told to just go study SC and find out.

lkfmdc
10-23-2003, 08:11 AM
My computer was a major BIOTCH yesterday and then I sort of glanced through the archives of the list (no new mail yet). Some great stuff, and some really silly stuff. Very "Chinese", and thus maybe that's why when you ask a direct question you get an answer like that:rolleyes:

Water Dragon
10-23-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by lkfmdc
Some great stuff, and some really silly stuff. Very "Chinese", and thus maybe that's why when you ask a direct question you get an answer like that:rolleyes:

Basically yes. But you know how the Chinese are Coach Ross. :D

The list is pretty low key, and it may go a month or so with no messages. But when we get a topic going, it's generally quality stuff (if you can ignore the usual bias that is)

lkfmdc
10-23-2003, 11:58 AM
I am glad I was not on when "San Da in China" was discussed, as much as I respect them, I would have to disagree with a lot of what they said... then again, my sifu and I had shouting matches in Silver Palace on topics on more than a few occassions :)

Water Dragon
10-23-2003, 12:02 PM
Yeah, but they also saw the Baltimore San Shou clips and said, "Wow, these guys are good. We should go fight with them."

lkfmdc
10-23-2003, 12:05 PM
Heh, heh, they haven't even seen NY's clips :)

I would love to get them more involved in King of San da events, I think they will like the current San Da format we use, more so than even the format they saw in China

Plus, NEXT year, we introduce "Shuai Na" and jacketed submission grappling competition :)

Water Dragon
10-23-2003, 12:17 PM
Cool! Post some info! Hype the event in November! Keep us all informed. Remember, every message you post to that list is read by: David Lin, Brian Wu, John Wang, Joe Judt, Paul Gerald, Kirk Woller, James Lin, and Mark Cheng. There's no telling who else is on there that I'm not aware of.

SevenStar
10-23-2003, 12:38 PM
got any info on the jacketed sub grappling that you can post?

lkfmdc
10-23-2003, 12:42 PM
It is still in concept stage, but basicly you get points for throws, for controlling position, and you can joint lock or choke.... no striking, etc