PDA

View Full Version : The Second Beijing MMA Meeting

Brad
10-22-2003, 09:06 PM
copy & pasted from http://www.xingyiquan.org/articles/mma.html
Good article to start a flame war with :D Still I found it kind of interesting :)

--------------------------------- PART 1 -------------------------------------

The second Beijing MMA meeting

The conference was held at the XXXX Aikido club, in the XXXX district. I had gone to Beijing for 2 reasons: to meet a friend of mine that learns Baguazhang (we always do some fighting training together) and to watch the fights at the conference, so when the date of the meeting arrived, I was quite excited with the idea of seeing how Chinese fighters would do in a MMA environment. My friend , that is well informed about what happens in the Beijing martial arts scenario, told me that I shouldnt expect to much, for most of the Chinese fighters would be Sanda men. I dont really think much of Chinese Sanda (modern free fighting), which is just a poor combination of Taekwondo, western box and a bit of Chinese Shuaijiao (wrestling), but I was willing to take my chances and see what I could find there, plus, its always a good chance to meet new people and find some sparing partners. Just a small explanation about my opinion on Sanda: many Sanda fighters are very though men and would be hard oponents, but for a person that is deep into the Chinese fighting arts as I am, its very hard to understand how Sanda could be the result of thousands of years of martial evolution, and the truth is that traditional fighting systems are far more efficient that Sanda is.
Now, I got at the above mentioned Aikido club with my friend, and there we met with his teacher (Mr. Zhu Baozhen) an a Canadian student of his. The place was very nice and the audience was about 200 people. There was a big Judo style mat in the center of the room and there was people sitting on its borders. To the right of the main entry and directly in front of the mat, there were several seats reserved for the guests. The guests were people from different systems: Baguazhang, Piguaquan, Yongchunquan, Bajiquanquan, Judo, Sanda and, of course, Aikido. It was, in a way, disappointing no to find representatives of Xingyiquan in a fighting conference. Were they not invited? Pearheps they weren't good enough to bee there? Did the organize not want to invite them? Who knows.
The audience seemed eager to find out more about MMA and the event began with a speech from its organizer, Mr. Yipping. I have talked to Mr. Yiping some 2 weeks before, over the phone. When I first read about the event I decided to call him to know more about it. He was very nice in answering all my questions and invited me to join the meeting, either fighting or demonstrating. As for fighting, the idea came to my mind before even calling him, but some problems aroused. First, it seemed to me that you should give more than a 2 weeks notice if you want to invite someone to fight. Then, the event lacked some essential infra-structure; the main problem being the absence of any concern regarding medical care. When I asked Mr. Yiping if he would provide the fighters with some medical assistance, he said to me that the meeting would be a friendly one and that would be no need for such kind of thing. I know that in Pride fighters are supposed to make an HIV test, a Cat-scan and have their eyes examined, and I also know the the Beijing event was no Pride, but when you have a MMA tournament, fights tend to get bloody sometimes and its only natural that any fighter would be worried to join an event of this nature if no one was supposed to make, at least, an HIV test. Actually I have heard from a friend of mine that Mr. Yiping later thought that my inquiries regarding the fighters safeness were strange and funny. All right. As for demonstrating, I politely refused.
So after Mr. Yipings speech, that officially opened the meeting, it was time for some guests to demo their arts. I cant remember the order of the performances but I guess the first one was an Aikido demo. Nothing to say here, just plain an old cooperative Aikido throws. Next came a Piguaquan stylist doing a form. The form, I am very sorry to say, seemed poorly executed with no evident power, and in the middle of it, the man was so tired that he almost couldnt finish it. There was even a moment when part of the audience laughed of him. This is certainly a very bad attitude but in a way reflects the mans performance. After it , if I am not wrong, came the Bajiquan stylist. His form looked a little better than the Pigua man but I also couldnt see all the power that is so characteristic to Biguaquan stylists. Since I know almost nothing about this style, except what Ive seen from 1 VCD and from my personal experience sparing people that have trained in the style, I might be wrong in judging his form like this. The next one was the Yongchunqan team. They did the first form of their system, a bit of Chisau (sticky hands) and some applications. I wasnt impressed with the demo, although I cant really say it wasnt good, its just that it didnt show anything that I havent seen before. At least the Judo man came in and did a very short demo that ended with a nicely done flying arm-bar and that was about it, the performances were over and the fights were about to begin.

Brad
10-22-2003, 09:13 PM
-------------------------------------PART 2----------------------------------
The event was not, in fact, a competition in the sense that there were no medals or first place. There were several matched fights and the intent of it was, according to Mr. Yiping, to promote cross-training and the development of the Chinese martial arts. Its interesting to point out that all the Chinese fighters were Sanda fighters. Some of them, I guess, tried to pass a Thai-boxer image, but no matter how hard they tried all they could do was their Sanda game which is, as we know, totally inferior than Muythai. After the Chinese all stars Sanda national team was defeated by the Thai team in Thailand (the whole Chinese team lost, except by one fighter that was living in Thailand for 6 months - doing what? Sure, learning Thai-boxing),the Chinese realized the efficiency of Thai-boxing. I have to say, also, that most of the Chinese fighters were full time Sanda stylists.
First there was a fight between 2 Chinese Sanda fighters that I didnt really find interesting. They went to the ground more than once and while one fighter was on the others guard, they both didnt have any idea of what to do in that position. Any of them could as well be eating a steamed bread and the fight would end up the same while on the ground. But the importat thing is that they were there, fighting, and they have tried their best.
The second fight ended with an Israeli fighter knocked down by a Chinese Sanda fighter. He was doing a good job from the beginning and although his inferiority was obvious, he was able to keep the fight very fair with and excellent guard (that saved him from being hit several times in the head) and a good footwork, remaining calm for most part of the fight. At one moment, he delivered a very hard knee to the Sanda fighter's mid-section and was about to connect with some punches to the face, but unfortunately the Chinese fighter was forced out of the ring and the Israeli man lost momentum. After this, the unexplainable happened: the Israeli man began to get impatient and he made 2 very big mistakes: first, he began to try to exchange punches with the other fighter, that had much better punching skills, and second, he began to rush too much. It wasnt too long before he was the referee had to stop the fight. It was a very good fight though.
The 3rd fight was between a BJJ blue belt from America and a Chinese Sanda fighter. The funny thing was that just before the fight, the Sanda man was low kicking one of the round pillars that were at the side of the fighting area, clearly trying to intimidate the BJJ fighter (that was wearing a "Gi" a la Royce Gracie). As I was sitting on the floor next to the pillar, I couldnt help but to think that he was going to loose, for this intimidation tactics are usually performed by people that have less confidence than they show. The fight was a classical example of BJJ against an unprepared stand up fighter. Since the beginning the BJJ fighter, that lacked almost any stand up skills (or maybe had them but didn't want to use them), was trying to take the fight to his territory, the ground. The Sanda man was trying to stay up and used some good low kicks in the process, but it was really a matter of time before the BJJ fighter would take the fight to the ground. Using purely BJJ and lacking some throwing skills, it took the BJJ fighter a few minutes to accomplish his objective, plus, the absence of fences, like the ones in UFC, makes it harder to take someone down. Eventually he went in for a double leg and was caught in a guillotine neck lock in the process, but he was still able to take the other man down. From there, it was BJJ by the book. Side control, knee on the stomach, a couple of punches and knees to the head and he was mounted. Used the feet hooks to stabilize and shot an arm-lock. In the process of doing it, the BJJ man lost the mount but the arm-lock was already set up and that was the and of it. He did a very good job on the ground and deserved to win. He also looked very relaxed and focused during the whole fight and I think that this, plus his ground technique were really important for him to win the fight. The funny thing was that after the fight have ended, no one at the audience (except for some grapplers) have really understood how the fight was ended. Having no knowledge at all about BJJ, they couldn't make anything out from the moment the 2 fighters went to the ground. All they knew was that both fighters were on the ground and then suddenly one of them stood up and the other was still not moving. The Judo teacher (that was also the main referee) had to step in and explain everybody, step-by-step, what had just happened and what is an arm-lock. Another funny moment was when, during a fight (I forgot which one), the 2 fighters (a foreigner and a Chinese) where in the in-fight exchanging punches. Suddenly the foreigner went down trying to catch the Chinese fighter's legs, obviously trying a double-leg, and the Chinese audience went crazy. They thought their fighter had knoced the foreigner down.
There were other fights that I wont describe here for 2 reasons: first, I dont think they were interesting, and second, you can download the videos of all of them at Mr. Yipings website. The link is at the end of this article.
I wish I would have more pictures and footage to show, but a funny thing happened when I was trying to take some pictures during the first fight: Mr. Yiping, that had never met me in person, came close to me and told me that I wasnt allowed to take pictures. I then looked around and saw at least some 20 people with digital cameras and camcorders taking pictures and filming the event, so naturally I asked him why I wasnt allowed to make my own pictures. There was no answer. Not wanting to give up (I knew I was going to write this review and I would need pictures to go with it) I then pointed to him that other people were taking pictures, and he told me that some had permission to do so. I thought the whole thing was very strange because the more promotion , for him, the better. Later on, when I was introduced to him, the whole situation was explained.
Following the competition there was a lunch with all the teachers present and I was kindly invited by Mr. Yiping to join it. Food was god, and the company even better, especially the China Central television reporter that seated close to me. As I was the younger at the table and I decided that it would be wiser to listen than to talk. Unfortunately I had to listen to comments like: He lost because he wanted to use traditional techniques (they were talking about a fight between a Sanda fighter and a Chuojiao fighter, where the later lost); if there was any moment during which I wanted to say something, this was it, but I decided to remain silent. Plus the lunch was a good chance to meet some nice and interesting people and listen to what they had to say about Chinese martial arts and MMA.
After lunch we went back to the Aikido club where, as I was told, we were going to have a discussion about MMA. I was eager to listen what everybody had to say and also to give my own opinions, if allowed to do so.The discussion never happened and instead all the teachers were interviewed by a local TV channel. I watched for a while and then I left.
Ill try to list some good and bad points of the event, as I understand them.

Good points:

1 - First of all lets support all the people that fought there and, wining or losing, proved they have what it takes to step into the mat.
2 - It can be an eye-opener for the traditional Wushu guys that talk to much but do nothing.
3 - It was a god chance to meet new people that are interested in martial arts. This is always good.
4 - It might help to show people that to fight in an MMA event, even if it is very different from a real fight, you need much more than training sport or traditional forms all day.
5 - Trying to bring together people from different styles to work together to further develop the Chinese martial arts. This, of course, will never happen. Chinese traditional schools like Xingyiquan, Baguazhang and others will never disclose their methods of training, specific techniques and principles for anyone that is not from their system or family. Ive heard, during the interviews, a Sanda coach saying that martial arts are like soccer now and that you shouldnt have secrets anymore, that we should all share and evolve together. Do you see this happening? Yes, me neither. The reason Sanda needs to absorb techniques from other systems is that they have nothing at all. In the process of creating modern Sanda, coaches have dropped all that was characteristic to the Chinese martial arts, living only some Shuaijiao throws. It seems to me that now they want to bring back the elements they arrogantly decided to exclude in the past. Evolve together? No thanks.

Bad move:

1 - No doctor present during the event, no HIV test for the fighters. During one of the fights between 2 Sanda men, one of them was fiercely thrown to the ground falling down on his neck. The fighter was close, really very close to break something there. What he might have broken, I really dont know, but he got very close to not walking again in his life. I practice martial arts for28 years, but seeing that throw in front of me made me feel bad. If the fighter landed just a few degrees in a different angle, I am sure this meeting would be in national TV for other reasons.

Really bad move:

1 - Not replying my messages and not answering my phone calls for 2 weeks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------