PDA

View Full Version : exercising in the rain

rubthebuddha
10-22-2003, 10:04 PM
what are your thoughts about exercising in the rainy stuff? what do we need to look out for, wear, avoid, make sure we do, etc.? the wet stuff is hitting washington in droves right now, and all the while i'm trying to improve my 3-mile run time.

Tak
10-23-2003, 08:26 AM
Are you just talking about running?

I've always run in the rain. In fact, I'd rather run in the rain than on a hot day. I just wear a light tshirt and shorts - anything heavier you wear, like sweats, is just going to get waterlogged and heavy. Some people will wear a nylon shell over the tshirt even, to keep that from getting waterlogged, but that ends up being too hot for me. Heat is always an issue when I run.

I guess the big look-out item is footing. Be mindful of where you're putting your feet, since the rain makes everything more slick.

Make especially sure you stretch before and after, since rainy days tend to be cooler.

If you're not used to running in the rain, it might be a good idea to run a slightly shorter distance than you're used to the first few times. That way if you misjudge something, (you dressed wrong and you're freezing/burning) you don't have to stick it out for 5 or 10 miles.

Most of this stuff applies to running in the snow & ice, as well. In that case there's an even bigger tendency to overdress. I wear a tshirt and shorts down to 0 degrees F.

Ford Prefect
10-23-2003, 08:30 AM
KC is right for the most part. Just stretch and warm your muscles up properly since it is cold this time year. A lot of new research has proven that you are no more suceptable to getting sick because of cold weather or being wet in cold weather, than you are in any other type of climate/conditions.

Tak
10-23-2003, 08:55 AM
Hmm, I have to change my sig.

Ford Prefect
10-23-2003, 10:23 AM
LOL! Oops.

inic
10-24-2003, 12:58 PM
I like the rain cause i run on grass/dirt and it makes it a lot harder and more slippery to run on. great for the legs/ankles, bad for the butt

Tak
10-24-2003, 01:49 PM
I used to love running on the wet, muddy turf with my 1" spike shoes. Nice for keeping the opponents away, too...

NPMantis
10-26-2003, 04:57 PM
I live in the UK so I have to train in miserable weather 6 months a year! It doesn't bother me at all, obviously if the grass is soaking it's better to train on a more solid surface like concrete, I use sorbothane insoles when I do though to minimise impact which helps a lot. I do sparring, running, padwork, pressups, etc. in all kinds of weather and have never had a problem except I have to be careful when it's icey, especially if I'm running.

Just make sure you wrap up warm and dry or else you'll regret it when you get home!

GeneChing
11-03-2003, 03:52 PM
In TCM, they always make a big thing about not practicing in the rain or when it's cold and drafty. I used to practice in the rain occasionally when I was younger. The school I was at had limited space, so we often worked out in the parking lot during light rains.

I don't anymore practice in the rain anymore. I hate being wet and cold and it made my practice miserable.

yu shan
11-08-2003, 06:44 PM
After training in a cold rain, warm your body up with hot bath/shower and a good stiff drink. Cold and wet is not good.

bung bo
11-15-2003, 10:49 PM
stiff drink, eh? actually, my old gong fu brother told me his russian friend's mother used to give him a shot of vodka and a spoonful of pepper when he was young when he was sick--to sweat out the cold. i train in the rain when it's light. since it's starting to get cold, i drink a lot of black tea to keep my insides warm when i train outside. (sucking in all that cold air kills my throat) it seems to help a lot.