PDA

View Full Version : against multiple attackers

Isaac1719
06-08-2000, 07:46 PM
What are some of you guys experiences with defending yourself against multiple attackers. How did it go?

What are some good methods to train yourself to be more aware of whats going on around you without being able to see it.

What kind of stance do you take and where do you focus?

kungfukid
06-09-2000, 09:09 PM
Hello Issac,
One thing that I can tell you is that when you are fight more than one opponent you do NOT want to assume a stance. You must use you feet for mobility. Also, do not kick when attacked by multiple opponents. I don't care what the TKD guy say or do in the dojang, if you do some spinning, jumping whatever kick against multiple opponents, you're going to end up on your @$$ with several guy stompin' you.

In a multiple opponent situation your awareness of the opponents and your footwork are your most important weapons.

As far as where to focus, of course, you don't want to focus on one opponent, but you want to use your vision in such away that you can see all of the opponents. A good way to train yourself to do this is when you are out in public, try not to focus on any particular thing, but use your peripheral vision as well ans you regular to see the totality of your environment. Another way to do the same exercise is if you go to a library or where every you may read in a public place, try to read the page in front of you and use your peripheral vision to see
whatever else in going on in your imediate area.

The next step would be to try to not focus your hearing on one thing, but try to hear everything you can.

Kungfukid

[This message has been edited by kungfukid (edited 06-10-2000).]

Slater_E
06-09-2000, 10:36 PM
There is one major tacticl move you should use in any multiple oponent fight. Find the opening and take it. Actually what that means is fine the guy closest to you; or the guy who is not ready all the way; or the one you can nail really good and hard..take this one down and then step into his position. The idea is that you get all of your oponents facing you instead of them being on four sides etc...
there's lot's of things to remember in a MOF (multiple oponent fight LOL) but you need to look for an opening so your not surrounded and cornered. also you asked how you could be aware of whats going on a round you...well if you take the guy in front of you out and then turn to face the other two while backing away you can now see everyone and no sneak attacks while your busy. the first attack is crucial though, has to be hard adn fast. and in a MOF go for the kill. why punch the guy and make him angry, you don't want to have to worry about him later to just nail him really really good.
I've only been in one MOF and it went okay. I wasn't thinking quick enough and when they advanced I didn't take out who was closest and get away. It took me extra work to defend/strike/ and then recoved and opening.
so rememer there's always an opening.

------------------
"In a fight, there is no second place."

HappyPuppyF
06-09-2000, 11:43 PM
Why practice Kung-Fu, when there is the 400-metre dash?

------------------
GRRRRRRRRR
WOOF WOOF WOOF
RUFF RUFF RUFF
AWOOOOOOOOOOOO

Brett Again
06-11-2000, 06:26 PM
Oh jeez... I wish people would stop asking this question, because invariably a bunch of people with theories and no practical experience answer it.

Anyway, ANY technique MAY work... it depends on the situation. To say that kicking will never work is as wrong as saying it will always work.

You think the same truths apply in a brawl on an open lawn(been there, and I did use kicks!) as apply in a men's room stall (been there, and didn't even have room to get a decent punch off)? Of course not! The only truism that I feel can be applied to any multiple attacker scenario is that your positioning is the most signficant factor.

Nick-Wu
06-11-2000, 08:22 PM
Isaac the best way to fight multi attackers would be to run. But if you cant or are stubborn like me, the best thing is to really focus on the weak points of the body. Attack the throat,groin,nose,and eyes to stand your ground against multi opponents. The others gave pretty sound advice too(except for the no kicking part) but failed to mention this all important and maybe the most important tactic against multi attackers. Hope your never in this situation but if you are i hope this was helpful!

benny
06-11-2000, 08:34 PM
i agree the best way is to position yourself so you can only be atacked by one at a time like back to the wall or just standing so the person infront blocks everyone else but the 4oo yrd dash is a better idea ive been in a few mof's and most of the time you just need heaps of luck or a large gun but watch your back as king hits hurt in the back of the head and so do plaster casts
see ya on the wing side

kungfukid
06-13-2000, 04:18 AM
Brett,
I guess you were replying to my post. If you were, thanks I appreciate it. I never said a kick would not work in a mulitiple situations. I said don't do it. Those who do and survive are fighting lame brains. Any aware, skilled streetfighter, and I know many of them, will toss you on your @$$. People who kick (above the waist. I'll qualify my meaning) in a multiple situation and survive have just won the ****ed lottery.

I have a friend who is a former Texas border patrol guard and former kickboxing champion (TKD stylist). He and his other friends told me that they ran into several situations where they had to take on several border jumpers, they were outnumbered. Every time he tried to kick these guys, they would grab their legs, toss them on the ground, and comense to beat the ever-loving crap out of them.

The problem with kicking in a multiple situation is you are stuck in space and time. You cannot move. Your opponent can. This is not a theory. It is a fact. Try this. Stand on one leg and try to move. At most you hop. Which leads to another problem. While in the air you can change direction. Your opponent can.

You are right in saying that positioning youself in a way that only one person can attack you is correct, but as sson as you lift your foot to kick, you've lost the ability to be mobile.

And there is a difference between an open brawl and a situation where several people are attacking you as an individual. A brawl is a free for all, anybody can attack anybody. In a multiple fighting situation the focus is you. Kicking may work in a multiple situation, but it ain't the most prudent thing you can do.

Kungfukid

[This message has been edited by kungfukid (edited 06-13-2000).]

mantis7
06-19-2000, 09:24 AM
HIT THE BIGGEST GUY AND RUN LIKE HELL

HuangKaiVun
06-19-2000, 03:54 PM
I've only fought multiple opponents in controlled situations, so I'll stick to that arena.

I try to do what Darth Maul does.

Jaguar Wong
06-19-2000, 09:38 PM
Get cut in half?

YuenLung
06-19-2000, 09:51 PM
The largest group of people I have ever foughten in an uncontrolled situation was 5. I mostly agree with kungfukid in that you do you use a stance.

What I think, through experience, is NEVER, EVER turn from your opponent. Meaning, don't punch one opponent, turn around and block another etc. It also depends on how much pain you can take - not really needing any explanation.

Well, I beat them all, but I walked out with a red knuckle ( which later swelled up ) and a bruise across my cheek.

One thing I suggest is to avoid a fight at all. Don't make yourself noticeable, don't show off your skills, don't give hints to anyone. IF you are caught in a fight anyways, I suggest you train in always retreating. I never want to stay close to my attackers and just weave around them and such. I don't want to have to block them. Once I see an opportunity, then I go in and attack.

------------------
Yuen Lung

denali
06-20-2000, 09:50 AM
Just one thing...

I am a beginner..but..

It sounds like you are assuming people kick in slow motion.. Nobody stands there, or should stand there one one leg after the kick has reached the target.
It should be, as far as I know, a quick, fluid motion. I think that a hard kick to the knee or waist...or chest or whatever, depending on how skilled you are at kicking and spotting a good opening would be a good thing.. If your kicks are badly aimed or too slow, maybe it would be easy to "catch"..but probably the same with a poor punch.

Then again, a person should probably size up the opponent a bit before striking and then make that judgement.

just my [beginner] opinion.
feel free to laugh if you want

Gargoyle again
06-20-2000, 07:28 PM
I agree with denali. It all depends upon what kind of kick you throw, when you throw it, and how well your technique is. Kicks are opportunistic things, not the end-all-be-all super weapon. If you wade into a fight and start throwing axe kicks and tornado kicks, of course you will get dumped. Other kicks however can be thrown without commitment or having them get snatched.

Kungfukid, you mentioned your freinds were border guards? I have friends in law-enforcement and corrections, and at the most, the most self defense training received for their job is 3-6 months of karate and some joint lock techniques. And they do that ONCE, it is not continuously trained or practiced unless they independently do it outside on their private time with their own money. That is not enough time to learn a proper kick, and I would expect the same result as you relate if border guards are trying to throw kicks. A white-belt level thrust kick or side kick is an easy thing to catch, and is static in movement. Usually the kicks I've seen inexperienced people try and throw (in street fights) are either soccer-style kicks, or off-balance bad Van Damme imitations.

Also, this is a fact, not a theory( /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) but people CAN move about and be mobile while throwing kicks, you don't have to stop and pause to throw one. And they can be thrown without being caught. It is all in choosing the right time to kick, the proper type of kick, the proper target, etc.

kungfukid
06-21-2000, 09:21 PM
Danali and Gargoyle,
Thanks for your replies. I appreciate them.

Denali, The only thing I ever assume is that my opponent is better than I am. No not every one kicks in slow motion. Some people have very fast kicks.

Here is my point, kick is not the best thing you can do in a multiple situation. I have talked to and trained so many people from the street (Former drug dealers, ex-cons, etc) All of them say the same thing. "When the guy kicked at me, I caught his kick, tosssed him to the ground, and beat his @$$. Now, 15 year of hearing the same story from the same type of people leads one to believe that there might be some truth to my statement. Now these stories were from one on one situations, multiply that by two or three people and you have a serious problem.
I am not saying it can't be done, I'm saying it shouldn't.

Gargoyle, re-read my post, I believe i said that my border-patrol friends were also trained kickboxers, which probably means they had more than the four day SD seminar offered by many law enforcement agencies. I know one guy really well is a Blackbelt in TKD and ****o-ryu.

Kicks below the waist are fine because they do not interfere much with mobility. I scarcely know of a kick you can throw above the waist and not have your mobility severely hampered, if not nuetralized.

Thanx

Kungfukid

denali
06-22-2000, 02:59 AM
So...basically what you are saying is that kicks above the waist are useless. If the situations you described were one on one, then apparently there never is a good time for a kick right?

I think that whether multiple attackers or just one, you need to look for an opening. You have to use common sense of course..kick when you have an opportunity. If there is no opening, then don't. You definitely shouldn't be throwing out blind attacks.

The same thing has to be applied to punches: If you punch at a time when you shouldn't, you will likely also get beat..