PDA

View Full Version : Skull Crushers

IronFist
10-24-2003, 03:32 PM
Ok. I know I've asked this before, but I have pictures this time.

In the pic, 1 represents the starting position with arms straight (assuming you're doing them the vertical arm way)

When you're doing it, are you supposed to make sure that your upper arms stay vertical (number 2)? Or, are you supposed to bring the weight over your face (like "crushing the skull") (number 3)?

Before you guys told me to bring it over the skull, hence the name "skull crushers," but speaking from a ROM perspective, it would make send to me to leave the upper arms vertical. This would give the triceps the largest ROM.

But here's my problem, if I leave my upper arms vertical, the bar ends up somewhere behind my head. But if I do it so that the weight comes down over my skull, I have to push my elbows toward my feet which changes the whole angle of everything (see pic 3).

If I do it like number 3, the over the skull way, I have to use significantly less weight than with number 2, because like I said, it puts you at a disadvantage with regard to leverage.

So which way is correct/safer/better/etc.?

rubthebuddha
10-24-2003, 03:49 PM
if you're using the exercise to strengthen just your triceps, i'd say 2, because in 3, you're going to use more muscles in the shoulder to bring the upper arm back to vertical.

btw, i practice them as per 2, but single arm with a 30-lb. dumbbell.

IronFist
10-24-2003, 04:03 PM
Do you do them with your palm always facing to the side (like a hammer curl grip)?

rubthebuddha
10-24-2003, 04:15 PM
yup. that reason is grip strength. i want my hands to work a little harder for it.

also, this is the same angle the wrist is at during a wing tsun punch, so i'm hoping this helps wrist and elbow dynamics for my punching. if not, oh well -- at least i gots nice arms. :)

edit -- also think of the wrist strength and stability for weapons work. i do escrima as well, and this is the direction in which i want to be strongest -- the tension in my wrist holding the barbell stable will be in the same direction my wrist moves when swinging the stick.

IronFist
10-24-2003, 04:17 PM
I've done them that way before, it's pretty tough. When I do them I usually use a curl bar so my hand is at a 45 degree angle instead of palm facing the wall. Do you feel like it stresses a different head when you do them that way?

rubthebuddha
10-24-2003, 04:19 PM
yup. it seems to get the "bottom" heads more than the "outside" one.

also, read the edit in my previous post.