10-25-2003, 05:12 AM
I AM POSTING THIS FOR GEORGE:
I can't recommend him enough, he's a great teacher with
top shelf skills.

Regards, Pete

Gao style Baguazhang
New Saturday morning class
Arlington, VA / DC Metro area

Just wanted to announce that I will be starting a new bagua class in the DC metro area soon. The classes will primarily cover the Gao style of Baguazhang as passed on to me from Luo Dexiu in Taiwan. I spent six years in Taiwan learning the complete system and am a senior student under Luo Dexiu.

Classes will initially be once a week on Saturday mornings. Later, I may add some weeknight classes as well. I will also be available for private lessons.

The initial emphasis in the class will be to gain an understanding of whole-body power, principles of movement, control over yourself and your interactions with an opponent. This will be a martial arts class, with an emphasis on the MARTIAL. But at the same time it is not a quick-fix self-defense class. The goal is to study, learn and research how to use to Baguazhang as a fighting art, while at the same time promoting long term health and development.

For more information, location, prices, etc.
Please contact:

George Wood
Arlington, VA
bagua1@comcast.net

Buddy
10-26-2003, 12:31 PM
I'm bumping this up for my KF brother George. I can't recommend him highly enough. George's Gaoshi Baguazhang is top-notch.
Buddy

BAI HE
10-31-2003, 08:23 PM
TTT.

Ma_Xu_Zha
11-03-2003, 11:38 AM
Just what our dc area needs....another martial arts expert teaching in the area. Its only already a mecca with a few dozen masters from china.

a 5th generation bagua master Mr. Zhang Anji just moved here also.

Good luck.

BAI HE
11-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Great now you have plenty to choose from.

Ma_Xu_Zha
11-04-2003, 08:05 AM
also, there are some people that are old students of robert smith and allen pittman that teach Gao style in a park in rockville or bethesda.

MusicalGirevik
11-10-2003, 11:25 AM
I am one of the new students in George's class in Arlington. I have been to 3 classes now and am quite happy with the training.

The training places a lot of emphasis on fundamentals. Every class so far has concluded with 2-person application practice, with contact (ie. you and your partner take turns hitting/tossing/etc. each other) using the principles we covered that day. George is willing and able to demonstrate any Bagua principle in a martial context at any time. For example, when he taught the double-shoulder rolling exercise, he then demonstrated the mechanics/structure trained by that exercise by hitting me with a shoulder strike.

-MG

Ma_Xu_Zha
11-15-2003, 11:54 AM
I enjoyed the class. I will most likely go again and get more corrections. the people who teach in md are old school students of robert smith. george is more my generation and skillful at application . thanks for posting about it.

BAI HE
11-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Glad you checked him out. George really knows his BaGua.
Stick with him and he'll get you where you need to go in the
YiZhong system.

Best, Pete.

MusicalGirevik
11-17-2003, 12:23 PM
Glad you could come train with us and hope to see you again!

Bai He, seven people showed up last Saturday! There has been a positive trend in class growth... just me and George, then me and George and Hungry Ghost, then 4 people... Class is growing nicely.

-MG

BAI HE
11-18-2003, 09:53 AM
You can't hide good stuff man. You take one
look at George's BaGua skills and it is plain see that
he's got "it". Who wouldn't want that?

Work hard DC Yizhong men!

Best, Pete

Ma_Xu_Zha
12-03-2003, 10:53 AM
what does yizhong mean?

MusicalGirevik
12-04-2003, 12:34 PM
I was going to wait a little longer for our gong fu cousin Bai_He to answer, but here's George's explanation as posted to the Emptyflower board:

"YiZong is the generation name given to Zhang Zhunfeng by Gao Yisheng as a disciple. It is also the name that he took for his school when teaching."

I'm guessing Yizhong is also a way to distinguish us as practitioners of Luo De Xiu's system in name from the other Gao branches (e.g. the ones still in Tianjin and the ones going through other students and grand-students of Hung I-Hsiang).

-MG

Buddy
12-06-2003, 03:37 PM
Yizong was the name of Zhang's school. Luo's school is called Tiandi. The Yi part is reference to Yijing. Wu Mingxia also used a Daoist reference for his school name. MG ask Geo he'll tell you.
Buddy
Longmen Neishu