PDA

View Full Version : Had a fight last night...really!!

SevenStar
10-26-2003, 08:16 AM
Actually, I had 5....but they were legal. I entered a Judo shiai in a nearby city. I won 1st in my division (220 + ) and didn't place in the open division. Here's what happened:

first match- Sev. vs some black belt who weighed in at a little over 300...I am only 235 right now... he likes throws such as makikomi where the opponent's arms are straightened out - I fight with mine bent, which killed much of his arsenal. He was a big guy though, and hard to throw. I attempted a makimoni that failed, and a failed hiza guruma. I ended up getting a waza-ari from a double leg and that won me the match.

second match. Sev vs. a 275lb white belt. He actually had some strong attacks. I maneuvered around his sweep attempts, and attempted a makikomi which he picked was able to fully take my back and pick me up on. He dropped me forward, and we went to matwork. I was thinking he would either use tani otoshi or ura nage, both which would have gave him a score, as opposed to dumping forward, but I guess that was lack of experience on his part. I used my bread and butter - hiza guruma, which got me a yuko and I followed him to the mat, where I won via osaekomi.

Final match was against the same whitebelt. This time, however, it was quick. played with grips for a little bit, hiza guruma took him to the ground. We were stood back up, and as we approached, I feinted high, changed levels and shot for a double leg. Sev by ippon. My friend (who beat me in the open division) said that I got him up so high it looked like I was posing for the camera before I dumped him.

In the open division, first match was against a brown belt who had also wrestled all through high school. I applied forward pressure, attacked with ko soto gari, which he stepped out of and caught me with ko uchi makikomi. I fault my self though, because I forgot about his throw - soon as I saw his back, I took it and went for a choke, but we fell with my back to the mat and he was awarded ippon.

second match in open was against a friend of mine from bjj. He competes internationally in judo and in sambo (matter of fact, in 2 months he's going to russia for a big sambo tourney) - I had no chance from the beginning. He's only about 180, but he's built like me and has an unstoppable drop knee seionage.

Our match lasted about 3 mins, and afterwards, he commented on how strong I'd gotten. I was attacking with my hiza and also makikomi - I tried makikomi so much because it is something new that I am working on... obviously, as it didn't work at all yesterday. he caught me with two of his drop knees that resulted in yukos and gorund work, where we were stood back up. I shot for a double leg, which he sprawled out of, and later for a kata guruma. In the end, he threw me for ippon with his drop knee. He ended up winning 1st in both his division and in open.

Afterwards, there was a two hour clinic that focused on grip fighting, vatriations of ko uchi gari (because of this clinic, I REALLY like that technique now and will likely use it more) and a few ground techniques. It was a great clinic, the grip fighting led into ko uchi gari, and the ground portion was things to do if your opponent turns out of the ko uchi before his back hits the mat.

Brad Souders
10-26-2003, 08:21 AM
Congrat Seven. Good to see training is paying off for you. Shouldn't u get a brown or black belt in Judo now that u beat a black belt in competion? :D

Anyways congrats on what sounds like a good experience in mat time competition.

Brad Souders

SevenStar
10-26-2003, 08:22 AM
I've only slept a total of 6 hours since friday... for some reason, I couldn't really sleep friday night, and last night, I guess the adrenaline high still had me going - I'm probably going to crash in a fw hours... I'll bein church snoring away!

yenhoi
10-26-2003, 11:02 AM
:eek:

Shaolin-Do
10-26-2003, 11:26 AM
Good job.

chen zhen
10-26-2003, 01:05 PM
it aint nuddin compared to sparring 8 people at one time...

as i had to in my last MT sparring session.......:confused:
:eek::confused::eek:

neigung
10-26-2003, 02:16 PM
Congrats on the glory of your wins and the lessons of your losses.

Serpent
10-26-2003, 05:16 PM
I would be a lot more impressed if I had a clue what you were talking about Seven! Congrats on the results - they were obvious. Any chance of a quick translation of all the judo-speak though?

;)

BentMonk
10-26-2003, 05:54 PM
Congratulations Seven Star. I have to agree with Serpent though. Can we get some subtitles on the Judo terminology? Thanks again for the help with my balance. You obviously know what you're doing. Do you have any video of your matches you could post?

MonkeySlap Too
10-26-2003, 07:10 PM
Ah, Ko Uchi Gari...an old favorite. So Seven, what did they cover in the clinic?

Oso
10-27-2003, 06:53 AM
congrats Seven.

There's a judo tourney Nov 8 at UT in Knoxville. Probably too far for you t0o drive, huh?

Starchaser107
10-27-2003, 08:06 AM
way yo go 7*, Represent.

FatherDog
10-27-2003, 09:13 AM
A winner is you!

Shaolin-Do
10-27-2003, 09:16 AM
Congraturations!
You have win now!
Good you then finished!
Thank you.

SevenStar
10-27-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
I would be a lot more impressed if I had a clue what you were talking about Seven! Congrats on the results - they were obvious. Any chance of a quick translation of all the judo-speak though?

;)

my bad...

makikomi is a wrap around throw. There are several versions of it: major inner, major outer, minor inner...

ko uchi makikomi - minor inner wrap around: http://www.suginoharyu.com/html/video/kihonwaza/ko uchi maki komi.mpg

o soto makimomi - major outer wrap around:

hiza guruma - knee wheel: http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/hizaguruma.htm

ko uchi gari - minor inner reap: http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/kouchigari.htm

tani otoshi - valley drop: http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/taniotoshi.htm

ura nage - rear throw: http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/uranage.htm

ko soto gari - major outer reap: http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/kosotogari.htm

drop seionage - dropping shoulder throw: http://www.suginoharyu.com/html/video/kihonwaza/ippon seoi nage (drop).mpg

osaekomi - pin
ippon - point
waza-ari - half point
yuko - less than waza-ari
koka - less than yuko

SevenStar
10-27-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Oso
congrats Seven.

There's a judo tourney Nov 8 at UT in Knoxville. Probably too far for you t0o drive, huh?

Knox is about 6 hours away isn't it? I'll see if anyone's up for it.

SevenStar
10-27-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by MonkeySlap Too
Ah, Ko Uchi Gari...an old favorite. So Seven, what did they cover in the clinic?

after the grip fighting, transitions from breaking a lapel grip into ko uchi gari, and to tai otoshi, ippon seionage or kuchiki taioshi if he steps out of the ko uchi attempt.

we drilled back and forth fighting for grips, and he showed a NICE way to counter the tall guys who like to reach over your shoulder and grab the back of your gi for throws like harai goshi.

last was matwork - pins and chokes to do if he turns out of the ko uchi before his back hits the mat.

For serpent, bm and others:

tai otoshi - body drop: http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/taiotoshi.gif

ippon seionage - one arm shoulder throw: http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/ipponseoi.htm

harai goshi - sweeping hip: http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/haraigoshi.htm

kuchiki taioshi - tree fall drop: I haven't found a pic of it on judo info, but it's like ko uchi gari, except as your opponent raises his leg to step out of the ko uchi, you scoop his leg and continue you drive him to the ground.

SevenStar
10-27-2003, 11:45 AM
http://www.geocities.com/judo_vacatassis/animations.1.eng.htm#

click on kuchiki taioshi... they do it different though - we grabbed the leg with the outside arm, as the inside one was on the opponent's lapel.

Oso
10-27-2003, 11:52 AM
Knox is about 6 hours away isn't it? I'll see if anyone's up for it.

I just drove to Nashville and it was about 2 hours from Kville to Nville.

I know there's at least 2 or 3 of us going and we're all fat boys.

We're going to probably get schooled but it will be fun.

judoinfo.com rocks !

SevenStar
10-27-2003, 12:58 PM
it's about 3 - 3.5 from here to the ville. so yeah, about 6 to get there.

Oso
10-27-2003, 02:26 PM
I'll see the flyer for it again tomorrow night.
I'll pm ya w/ more details unless anyone else hollars for the info in which case I'll just post it.

Oso
10-27-2003, 02:35 PM
just reread your first post, seven.

how many hvy's were there?

sounds like the jujitsu tourney I just did where there were only 4 of us fat boys. Is that the norm? I was really disappointed in the turnout for the one I went to where I had only one match against someone I didn't know.

then in the open the next day it was just me and a guy from Canada, all the other guys from the day before were there but didn't want to fight anymore. :(

SevenStar
10-27-2003, 03:29 PM
yeah, seems like that's the norm at smaller tourneys, at least. There were 3 at this one (actually 4, but the 4th guy only did open, so wasn't in our division) open was pretty big though - about 10 or so.

The tourney I was in before this last one, there were like 6 of us.

last year at the state championships, I took 2nd, but there were only 4 of us there too.

There's definitely more competition in the lower and open divisions.

I'm gonna try to go to the nationals next year. I'll let ya know what the turnout was like if you're not there.

Serpent
10-27-2003, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the pics and stuff - makes a lot more sense now!

That ura nage is a bugger of a throw! Ouch!

Oso
10-27-2003, 07:47 PM
last year at the state championships, I took 2nd, but there were only 4 of us there too.

yea, I took first but there were only 4 of us and 2 of them were guys I'd been training with. And it was supposed to be a national event.

there's got to be something in Nashville at some point. Halfway for both of us.

It would be cool to meet you on the mat...and have you whup ma azz. :)

just think, we could then post about a physical meeting between two KFM dudes w/o all the BS that seems to become the norm here.

I'm gonna try to go to the nationals next year. I'll let ya know what the turnout was like if you're not there.

ha, not me, my judo sucks. well, we'll see what the next 6 months brings. some of the kung fu transfers, mainly on the defensive side, but DAMM...the gi is a biatch! I got totally humbled by a judo green belt the other night and he was 60 pounds my junior.

it's all good and it's all fun.

CrippledAvenger
10-27-2003, 08:45 PM
Congrats are in order Sev! Next time you're in Chitown, I'll have to buy you a celebratory beer. ;)

Water Dragon
10-27-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by CrippledAvenger
Congrats are in order Sev! Next time you're in Chitown, I'll have to buy you a celebratory beer. ;)

You ain't a $hittin'. It's been too long. Sev is quite familiar with the back yard. And Espy's cooking as well. :)

Congrats Sev! Now it will be much sweeter when I kick your @ss back to Tennesee. :D

CrippledAvenger
10-27-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon

You ain't a $hittin'. It's been too long. Sev is quite familiar with the back yard. And Espy's cooking as well. :)

I'd take a bullet for Espy's cooking. It's gooooood eats. We can all stuff ourselves, after you two take turns schooling me. :D

ps. WD- check your PMs.

Water Dragon
10-27-2003, 09:09 PM
I did.

1. Congratulations. I'm happy for ya
2. I told ya so ;)

CrippledAvenger
10-27-2003, 09:20 PM
1a) Thankee. I don't know what to do with this new found solvency, really. ;)

2b) :D

There.

That should confuse everyone else for a while...

Nevermind
10-28-2003, 07:27 AM
Way to kick a$$, brother.

SevenStar
10-28-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Oso

there's got to be something in Nashville at some point. Halfway for both of us.

You do bjj too, right? The music city is a huge national level tourney that's in nashville every year...It's already passed this year - it was back in july, I think - maybe june. The tennesse state championships is held in clarksville, which is right outside of nashville, but just recently passed also.

It would be cool to meet you on the mat...and have you whup ma azz. :)

I doubt it - my judo sucks too. :)

just think, we could then post about a physical meeting between two KFM dudes w/o all the BS that seems to become the norm here.

My first meeting with WD, his wife took pics of me chunkin his a$$, but he lost em... go figure. :D

ha, not me, my judo sucks. well, we'll see what the next 6 months brings. some of the kung fu transfers, mainly on the defensive side, but DAMM...the gi is a biatch! I got totally humbled by a judo green belt the other night and he was 60 pounds my junior.

yeah, that happens - I was tossed by a BIG yellow belt when I was a green belt, and he used my bread and butter tecnhique to do it!! to make it so bad, my son was there - he was only four at the time, so all he knew was I was fighting. The second I got tossed into the air, I hear him saying " Yaaay daddy!!!"

SevenStar
10-28-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Water Dragon

Congrats Sev! Now it will be much sweeter when I kick your @ss back to Tennesee. :D

you gotta be able to kick me outta your back yard first...And if we're fighting over Espy's cookiing, I guarantee it won't happen:D

Oso
10-28-2003, 09:09 AM
seven,
I do kung fu mostly, just started the japanese jujitsu in march.
only thing going in this town besides the judo club but they meet on Sunday mornings at 10am:eek: that's just a rough time to try and get up and go get tossed around for two hours.

Just started some new kf with a sifu in nashville so that's why the trips there.

yeah, that happens - I was tossed by a BIG yellow belt when I was a green belt, and he used my bread and butter tecnhique to do it!! to make it so bad, my son was there - he was only four at the time, so all he knew was I was fighting. The second I got tossed into the air, I hear him saying " Yaaay daddy!!!"

:D

we're supposed to have test for rank soon. It will be interesting to see where I place out. I think that in addition to the demonstration of core info we'll be rolling against his black belts.

SevenStar
10-28-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Oso
seven,
I do kung fu mostly, just started the japanese jujitsu in march.
only thing going in this town besides the judo club but they meet on Sunday mornings at 10am:eek: that's just a rough time to try and get up and go get tossed around for two hours.

Just started some new kf with a sifu in nashville so that's why the trips there.

is it yu shan?

Oso
10-28-2003, 01:48 PM
yep. have you two met?

fa_jing
10-28-2003, 02:09 PM
Crip, did you score a job?

SevenStar
10-28-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Oso
yep. have you two met?

Nah, Only talked to hiim via PMs on KFO. Seems like a really good guy to train with.

Oso
10-28-2003, 03:29 PM
I think so.

the Pong Lai stuff is the kung fu I've been looking for the last 4 years...maybe even the last 21.

yu shan is a good teacher and he has a good group of core students. me and my students have been having a blast.

SevenStar
10-29-2003, 05:48 AM
sound good. How often do you visit?

Oso
10-29-2003, 05:54 AM
once a month.

next visit is planned for Nov 18.

Dec & Jan trips will actually be to Tampa for training but then back to Nashville Feb & beyond.