PDA

View Full Version : more shaolin-do

Fred Sanford
10-26-2003, 02:29 PM
This is simular to the White Eyebrow council's decision around 200 years ago to create Hua Chein (Modern Hua) in order to encompass all the moves of the roads of the Hua into one form.

When Master Sin first taught out the form, that is the story he told. That a group "White Eyebrow Council" had met and from this meeting it was decided that the Hua roads would be comdensed into one form. Now I may have been under the influence of mind altering drugs at the time but that is the way I remember the background going. Perhaps some of the other old timers from Master Sin's saturday class can shed some more light on this. So many years, so many beers.....

so how did this work? 200 years ago a bunch of bak mei peeps got together in a council and decided to create a style of long fist?

interesting

ninthdrunk
10-26-2003, 03:45 PM
From what I have gathered, this council didnt create a new system, just a new form. They took the classic roads (or books) of hua and compiled them together to form what we call "modern hua fist". It supposedly has the "best" moves and different new ones that the masters sitting on this council believed would make a hua stylist more proficient. It is a really long form. The roads of hua are long as it is, but this modern hua form is like three if not all four of them put together.

Ben

ps. I have only seen it, not learned it. If someone else wants to chime in here, go for it. I have some of the roads of hua, and really like the modern hua fist, but I am definitely not an expert.

trilobite
10-26-2003, 03:57 PM
I think he's asking about how Bak Mei masters can put together a Hua system.

rogue
10-26-2003, 05:49 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how SD is kung fu.:confused:

And why is Sin The wearing a mullet, unless he's, can it be, no, but maybe. Is Sin The really Watchman?:eek:

Golden Tiger
10-27-2003, 05:49 AM
That quote was taken from a reply that I posted on another board. Again, it was the background that was told to me when I started learning the form many many years ago. Now is it the truth? Not sure on that one. I wasn't around back then. If it is infact made up, does that change the content of the form? Not in the least.

As I have said before, it makes me LMAO the way that everyone is so concerned about SD and its material, history, and so on. You people take this stuff wayyyyy to seriously. Go outside, get a job, enjoy life.

The best part of it all is that with all the popularity that the bashers create (SD in the title of a thread will make it the most read every time), you are exposing not only the huge fake that you claim it to be, but also you are advertising it to tons of people. Some will take your words as truth and follow your bashing ways, but other will become curious as to what SD is all about. They will go to a local school, see the material that they will have the oppurtunity to learn, and become life long students. So, keep it up so our membership will grow and eventually overtake the MA world....<wicked evil grin>

Liokault
10-27-2003, 06:03 AM
:rolleyes:

Me thinks that someone over estimates the power of the KFO forum.

Ray Pina
10-27-2003, 07:11 AM
So, are you saying SD has its roots in Bak Mei? I've seen the website by clicking links here ... doesn't look like it.

Golden Tiger
10-27-2003, 07:26 AM
No, not at all. SD has its roots from SD.

And me thinks that a lot of people over estimates the power of KFO.....that was kind of my point.

Golden Tiger
10-27-2003, 07:51 AM
Hmmm, not that I am aware of. The Hua that is learned in SD is composed of The 4 Books (or Roads) , 2 two man sets and then Hua chien (Modern Hua).

Now, is it different from the other Hua styles? not sure, never been to Hua mountian and wasn't around when it was created. Is Hua Chien different from the 4 books? No, the moves are very similar with out a lot of the repetition. All I know is that my legs ache when I do all of them. Darn good forms for leg strength from the low stances and the high kicks.

Golden Tiger
10-27-2003, 07:56 AM
****I thought your roots were from Fukien, which would mean your roots lie in traditional Shaolin Kung Fu.

No, my roots stop at Master Sin and with SD. As to where his reach, I can not attest to that. Ask him.

******Why would Shaolin have a council based around the traitor monk who helped the government destroy the temple?

Why did we arms countries years ago only to go to war with them later? Heck if I know but sh*t happens.

All I know for sure is that it is a really nice form. I personally love the Hua forms both classic and the modern one.

Golden Tiger
10-27-2003, 08:33 AM
*****Maybe before you spread any more "bullshlt" around, you should do a little research to make sure it is correct.

Why? To please you? What fun would that be. It was, by the way originally posted on another board. They had no problem with it so you shouldn't either. Chill dude, you are getting way to excited over the little things

Shaolin-Do
10-27-2003, 08:51 AM
Erm... Id go so far as to say that maybe 10-15% of the students Ive met know about all the BS involved....

Golden Tiger
10-27-2003, 09:00 AM
Ok, lets say thats not where the form came from. Does it change the content in the least? Heck no. When I found out there wasn't a Santa Claus, I didn't disown my parents for lying to me for all those years and I still got presents on Christmas morning.

I am still cracked up by how serious you guy take the "history and lineage" stuff. It has absolutely nothing to do with the content of a form. Either the form benifits you by teaching you a new technique or improves your overall conditioning by getting up off you a$$ and doing it. History or not, there is a benifit. Yuo are so caught up in "my style can be traced back to God" that you are missing out on everything else.

If I found out today that everything taught to date in SD was dreamed up, stolen, coppied, etc. it would not take anything away from my skill. I guess now that I think of it, since I didn't learn physics from Einstein or math from DeCartes and my teachers in college can't produce evidence that they have 6 degrees of seperation from them, I need to rip up my degree and quit my job. Come on guys, look at what you are arguing...so freakin silly.....

FatherDog
10-27-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Golden Tiger
I am still cracked up by how serious you guy take the "history and lineage" stuff. It has absolutely nothing to do with the content of a form.

Then why lie about it?

Tak
10-27-2003, 09:36 AM
I guess now that I think of it, since I didn't learn physics from Einstein or math from DeCartes and my teachers in college can't produce evidence that they have 6 degrees of seperation from them, I need to rip up my degree and quit my job. Come on guys, look at what you are arguing...so freakin silly..... Actually, mathematicians keep very close track of degrees of separation, specifically Erdos numbers (http://www.oakland.edu/~grossman/erdoshp.html), which are very well documented. In fact, this is the basis from which the whole "six degrees of separation" silliness was derived.

MonkeySlap Too
10-27-2003, 09:47 AM
And the fact that the 'content' of SD is only impressive to those who don't know any better...

Golden Tiger
10-27-2003, 10:16 AM
Lets see.....
1. I have lied about nothing and to date, it has not been PROVEN that anyone else has in SD.

2. If the person could demonstrate their knowledge in the chosen field, yes I would learn all I could from them. Think Bill Gates.

3. I checked out the link Tak and didn't any of my professors listed so I guess that I need to start practicing "would you like fries with that?"

Monkey, I am sorry that you are not impressed. I myself am. While the majority of the people only get the chance for exposure to one or perhaps two styles, I and my fellow SD'ers have the chance to see many of them. As I am sure that you are all aware of, a mutt is heathier that a pure bred.

So again, take a few deep breaths, way down into tan tien, hold and then exhale. Now, doesn't that feel better. See, you all still have your styles that you study, and I still have mine. Life will go on. Its ok, I promise.

Fu-Pow
10-27-2003, 10:53 AM
Lets see.....
1. I have lied about nothing and to date, it has not been PROVEN that anyone else has in SD.

2. If the person could demonstrate their knowledge in the chosen field, yes I would learn all I could from them. Think Bill Gates.

3. I checked out the link Tak and didn't any of my professors listed so I guess that I need to start practicing "would you like fries with that?"

Monkey, I am sorry that you are not impressed. I myself am. While the majority of the people only get the chance for exposure to one or perhaps two styles, I and my fellow SD'ers have the chance to see many of them. As I am sure that you are all aware of, a mutt is heathier that a pure bred.

So again, take a few deep breaths, way down into tan tien, hold and then exhale. Now, doesn't that feel better. See, you all still have your styles that you study, and I still have mine. Life will go on. Its ok, I promise.

Your analogies are completely retarded as MK has pointed out repeatedly.

Golden Tiger
10-27-2003, 11:25 AM
Now that wasn't very nice now was it Fu. Did I say anything to you about your comment and rather strange belief about spiral muscles and the strange link to the Alexander Techniques?? No I didn't. So be nice!

And mk, thats how most breeds become AKC registered. The cross breeding is done, the breed is shown to have established traits and it is then recognized. I'll bet you are now an animal kind of person are you.

And for the record, a tea cup poodle is a much better watch dog than you think. Its alertness and unwaryness of strangers makes it an excellent choice. Plus its hypoallergenic, always a good thing.

Fu-Pow
10-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Now that wasn't very nice now was it Fu. Did I say anything to you about your comment and rather strange belief about spiral muscles and the strange link to the Alexander Techniques?? No I didn't. So be nice!

And mk, thats how most breeds become AKC registered. The cross breeding is done, the breed is shown to have established traits and it is then recognized. I'll bet you are now an animal kind of person are you.

And for the record, a tea cup poodle is a much better watch dog than you think. Its alertness and unwaryness of strangers makes it an excellent choice. Plus its hypoallergenic, always a good thing.

Just callin em as I see um.

As for my Alexander Technique link, just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's strange.

And BTW.....GET BACK TO WORK!!!!

:p

Ray Pina
10-27-2003, 11:51 AM
Hey, I know nothing of your skill or abilities and the guys who post here add to discussions. The only warning bell I get is looking at the vast amount of stuff to learn (which is good) but which could be in direct conflict with each other (which could be bad).

For example, wearing iron rings on your arm from learning Hung Gar leaves you with no choice but to tense up your arm. Where as in internal styles you tense only your fist (I know: everyone does it this way though:) )

I also find it hard to believe that someone who truly mastered Ba Gua would align themselves with an organization like that. Real Ba Gua is a jewel, it shines on its own.

But if you are happy and feel like you can defend yourself, screw everybody else.

On the other hand, when you learned there is no Santa you quickly realised you better get to the mall to get your girl a gift ... no fat man was coming down the chimney.

If you realise your kung fu is empty, do you still mail a list and leave cookies at the door or do you go get what you really want?

Just playing devils advocate:) I don't know why SD guys never turn around and question your attacker's lineage. Unless you're near a big city, it's hard to find a large enough selection to really pick top notch schools. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you have to settle for what's available. I don't make fun of guys at community college. And I'm sure some of them are smarter than me.

Keep training, keep knocking them down. If you're happy stay where you are. Maybe something else will come along some day and you will already have all the ability, you'll just need to be refined, intention changed.

Tak
10-27-2003, 11:53 AM

LOL @ Bill Gates! He's the perfect example of somebody who knows next to nothing, yet has lied, cheated, and stolen his way to being a billionaire. If this is the shaolin-do role model, maybe the anti-sd guys are right...

As far as the Erdos number, I would find it somewhat worrisome if not one of my math or physics professors had a finite Erdos number, because it suggests that either they didn't publish anything or they didn't publish anything worthwhile enough to interest other mathematicians. On the other hand, if your degree was in Biology, who cares?

Golden Tiger
10-27-2003, 12:34 PM
The reason I never question the background or even what style these people take is that if they are good MAists, then it doesn't matter. If they suck, which more than likely they do because you only tear something else down to make yourself look better, then it doesn't matter if they studied from the Grand Poobah of all that is Kung fu, they still suck.

If they can kick a$$ and take names when it comes to technique and application and learned it all on there own, then those are the ones I respect.

To be honest, I just love fussing with you all. You guys are so easy to get riled up as if I was taking a pi$$ on schools floor. I just noticed that the board was a tad slow today and no one else was posting so I firgured what the heck. See, thats why you will never win this argument with me.....you get your panties in a wad over trivial little things. I would love to see how you guys fight. Pi$$ you off, you loose control, you loose period.

OK, one last time...sit back, inhale the good, exhale the bad....in with the good, out with the bad....

And FU, comparing martial arts and muscle relaxation to holding a freakin violin under your chin is beyond strange my friend.....

CaptinPickAxe
10-27-2003, 12:47 PM
Shaolin-Do looks a lot like Kenpo Karate...what the **** is the difference between "Kenpo" and "Kempo" and "Shaolin-Do"? except the grandmaster looking like he fell out of 1986...

Golden Tiger
10-27-2003, 01:03 PM
First MK, I want to thank you. I was going through so old email (i get them all the time when someone posts on here aka kung fu spam and on a topic about the salute, you were nice enough to relate the rest of the story of what I had see concerning the one armed monk....Again thanks.

Now now MK, empty threats and "locations of hospitals" just makes you sound like a 12 year old. Please don't lower yourself to that. That in itself shows a lack of training and smarts. Go and read Sun Tzu. Learn how to engage your enemy and beat them with little or no harm to yourself. Challenging an unseen opponent is unwise and kind of silly.

As for you Capt pick nose...er.....axe.... the 80's were a great time. Wish I was back there now.

CaptinPickAxe
10-27-2003, 01:08 PM
As for you Capt pick nose...er.....axe.... the 80's were a great time. Wish I was back there now

Okay...The 80's sucked. I bet you rock the mullet with pride as well.

Name calling...hmm...Thats all good and fun, but you still didn't distinguish the differences between your secret and "deadly" art and kenpo.

Fu-Pow
10-27-2003, 01:11 PM

And FU, comparing martial arts and muscle relaxation to holding a freakin violin under your chin is beyond strange my friend.....

Like I stated...you didn't understand it.

Ray Pina
10-27-2003, 01:13 PM
I wish I could take back my last post so as to stay clear of this thread:o

Golden Tiger
10-27-2003, 02:09 PM
Didn't distinguish between the two because I don't know that much about kenpo and or kempo.

And yes, the name calling was very childish of me. my appologies.

Ok, I am back. My boss came in and I had to look busy. where was I?

Hmmm, lost my train of thought now. I'll pick this up with you young'ens tomorrow. Time for me to go home now.

See ya....

Judge Pen
10-27-2003, 02:24 PM
Evolution Fist, I appreciated your post.

As for the "White Eyebrow Counsel" and "200" years, I asked "What's that?" in the Mullins forum because it seemed odd to me. Golden Tiger resoponded that's what he heard when he learned modern hua. Now I don't know if there was a "White Eyebrow" Counsel 200 years ago that created "modern hua." Maybe whomever he heard that from heard it wrong. Why would a southern form combine the techniques of a Northern Longfist form? Since GT said he didn't know, there's no use belaboring the point there and I'm sorry that one of the largest trolls to hit this forum, Fred Sanford, dug it up and posted it here because it doesn't make sense to me either.

More likely Modern hua was a modern creation from a wu shu organization to standardize a form for competition. Master Sin The has taught these standardized forms before (i.e. Tai Chi 24).

Judge Pen
10-27-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
I find it especially interesting that a Google search for "Modern Hua" turned up a shltload of Kenpo schools claiming it as part of their lineage.

Well there you go. SD created kenpo. :p

trilobite
10-27-2003, 02:58 PM
I wish some of you guys would come to the Mullins demonstration Saturday night. Then you'd see just how different from kempo we are. There was a Kempo school doing the demos with us last year, and quite frankly, though the material was effective, it wasn't impressive at all.

The video clips you see on the internet of people doing some forms are nothing more than beginners. Even though they are 1st black sashes, that's literally considered to be about the equivalent of kindergarten in the eyes of the SD community. In essence, you are watching kids finger paint. STOP JUDGING OUR ENTIRE SYSTEM ON VIDEOS AND THE COMMENTS MADE BY MORONS LIKE ME!

However Master Grooms does some Pa Kua and Master Reid does some Xingyi which I think looks pretty good myself. Honestly though I know very little about either system.

SanSoo Student
10-27-2003, 03:02 PM
I think KFO should make a "Shaolin-Do Exposed" book, containing all the past Shaolin-Do Forum discussions. :D

joedoe
10-27-2003, 03:33 PM
Lets see.....

Lineage is probably as important if not more so in the academic world. Why do you think it is so important to go to a 'good' university? Why is it that graduates from some universities are more highly sought after than from others?

Fu-Pow
10-27-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by SanSoo Student
I think KFO should make a "Shaolin-Do Exposed" book, containing all the past Shaolin-Do Forum discussions. :D

God that's a great idea.

themeecer
10-27-2003, 04:05 PM
I find it especially interesting that a Google search for "Modern Hua" turned up a shltload of Kenpo schools claiming it as part of their lineage.
Interesting, I just did a google search using only the phrase 'Modern Hua' and I came up with zero kempo/kenpo schools. I think your browser is biased.

Brad
10-27-2003, 04:15 PM
My "modern hua" search turned up Shaolin-Do schools and a few history sites :confused:

Fred Sanford
10-27-2003, 08:42 PM
I'm sorry that one of the largest trolls to hit this forum, Fred Sanford, dug it up and posted it here because it doesn't make sense to me either.

sounds like someone missed me. I think about the only thing I've ever really 'trolled' ,if you can even call it that, on this forum is shaolin-do. you people are the dumbest sons of beyatches that i've ever come across. I am dumbfounded and amazed by the depths of your stupidty.

the quotes that I dug up are absolute garbage. i guess the saying if you give 'em enough rope they'll hang themselves really is true. golden tiger shows himself to be a big dummy, right on par with all the other SD clowns :D

trilobite
10-28-2003, 01:53 PM
I understand MK, but it doesn't really matter what you think. The fact is that ANY self respecting martial artist, Shaolin Do or not, wouldn't show ego at that point in training. Granted the credentials for a black sash test are tough, I think Master Mullins said it was 6 hours at least and the last form is Kwan Dao:(

But look at all the material we have, whether or not it came from Shaolin, which most of it didn't originate from anyway, IT'S A LOT OF MATERIAL (also the web isn't good for seeing what material we get because you're only required to have a certain set of forms, I'm not sure, but I've been told that GM Sin has never taught all 4 books of Hua even though the net lists that as a requirement.)

Though you are partially correct, 3 years is time enough for someone to be generally good at what they do, the fact is that IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the eyes of our system.

Sorry, that's the way it is. I can't control it.

themeecer
10-28-2003, 02:01 PM
MK at our school we don't even recognize you as a student until you have your black belt. Until then we view you as a customer or a hobbyist. (Granted some people can remain as such even after getting their BB)

Judge Pen
10-28-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by trilobite
I understand MK, but it doesn't really matter what you think. The fact is that ANY self respecting martial artist, Shaolin Do or not, wouldn't show ego at that point in training. Granted the credentials for a black sash test are tough, I think Master Mullins said it was 6 hours at least and the last form is Kwan Dao:(

But look at all the material we have, whether or not it came from Shaolin, which most of it didn't originate from anyway, IT'S A LOT OF MATERIAL (also the web isn't good for seeing what material we get because you're only required to have a certain set of forms, I'm not sure, but I've been told that GM Sin has never taught all 4 books of Hua even though the net lists that as a requirement.)

Though you are partially correct, 3 years is time enough for someone to be generally good at what they do, the fact is that IT IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the eyes of our system.

Sorry, that's the way it is. I can't control it.

Trilobite,

I know you mean well, but there's some mistakes in this information. 1st, the Black belt test is tough, but it's not 6 hours long. Perhaps it should be, and, according to tradition, GM The's black belt test was 8 hours long, but our isn't. On my pre-test for black belt I had to do all short forms, sparring techniques, one-step sparring drills, hand-to-hand techniques, long forms and weapon forms and sparring. That test did take a while but it was significanlty less than 6 hours. (Pre-tests should be more difficult than tests imo)

Also, all roads of hua have been taught out. GM The has not taught out all the drunken immortals though. Maybe that's what you were thinking.

Cheers.

JP

trilobite
10-28-2003, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the corrections Ben, I remember somone told me when I was a white sash that a black sash test was 6hrs. But of course that was almost 2 years ago so I might be mistaken.

As for Hua, I may once again be wrong, but I was under the assumption that no one person had all 4 roads and Modern Hua. If that is not the case, then I'm sorry.

Once again I was only stating what I was told at one point in time, I surely cannot verify it myself.

Overall though I think the basic message was delivered without flaw.

Thanks for the corrections Ben.

trilobite
10-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Who has less than one year of experience?

And I was refferring to the fact that you are outside the system and wouldn't understand in the first place. I wasn't trying to put you down.

****, you guys are touchy around here.

Grow some balls.

Ray Pina
10-29-2003, 09:40 AM
Why wouldn't you post anything but the best example you have to offer on your website?

This is also a large critism I have with Kung Fu magazines. Many of the photos are laughable: guys holding a stick at its mid-point losing the advantage of lenght and hitting some guys toe, while the other just freezes. Not long ago one mag ran an article on the Korean sword. Anyone remotely familiar with a two-handed sword knows your don't hold it like a baseball bat, you seperate the hands to utilise leverage.

As soon as I see something like that I get suspicious as all hell. Wouldn't you show your best if provided with that opportunity?

Liokault
10-29-2003, 10:02 AM
and, according to tradition, GM The's black belt test was 8 hours long, but our isn't.

Judge Pen

Tradition....black belt....in shaolin? Am I wrong or is a belt/grade structure not traditional at all in chinese systems?

Liokault
10-29-2003, 10:03 AM
Clearly I refer to SD as a chinese system (or indeed system) loosely.

Judge Pen
10-29-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Liokault

Judge Pen

Tradition....black belt....in shaolin? Am I wrong or is a belt/grade structure not traditional at all in chinese systems?

Liokault,

Usually I ignore you because of some of your past posts, but since you respectfully addressed me, I will return that courtesy.

We've been round and round (and round again) on SD's traditions. In my very first lesson (almost 15 years ago) my 1st teacher explained that we were a chinese system that adopted certain Japanese trappings out of necessity and conveinance. That included the belt ranking system. Whether that was adopted by GM Ie in Indonesia or Sin The when he moved to kentuky is, as everything is, arguable; however, that's what we do and that's what I was told then and now.

There are respected CMA schools that use colored sashes as a means of denoting and identifying rank or skill in training. This is not "traditional" but it is accepted in America because it is what many Americans expect. So I'm unclear if you object to the rank being denoted in the form of a belt, or being denoted at all.

Master Mullins has recently stopped using belts and gis in favor of frog-button uniforms and sashes. He also sponsers an open tournament every year which everyone here is welcome to participate in. The thing is, that he is in the minority in this change and we often catch flack from other SD teachers and students for this change. If Master Mullins were not such a well-respected student we would probably be accussed out right of being disrespectful to GM The and our style.

Like it or not, thats how wer are. Our history isn't going to change and certain traditions will either not change or change slowly with resistance. I don't worry about it much and worry about my training (because Lord knows I need more of it! :p )

JP

Liokault
10-29-2003, 10:27 AM
Oh ok, so when you said "tradition" you ment recent tradition, not 1600 years of tradition? I stand corrected.

Judge Pen
10-29-2003, 10:30 AM
:rolleyes: Well tradition and history aren't static. They are not snapshots in time, are they?

Meat Shake
10-29-2003, 10:35 AM
Its "a tradition" for me and CPA and a few others to get stoned and go play hackey sack on sundays.
Tradition doesnt have definable boundaries in respects to time. History is the same way...

MasterKiller
10-29-2003, 10:36 AM
Well, that's part of the problem with the SD sales-pitch in that they often mix recent developments in their system with older, more established traditions. For example, the bit about there being many 9th Degree masters at Shaolin, but only one 10th degree. This little tidbit is a complete fabrication, and a melding of two completely different traditions.

Liokault
10-29-2003, 10:42 AM
JP

Well tradition and history aren't static. They are not snapshots in time, are they?

Indeed, just ask the Scotts or to a lesser extent the welsh.

Ray Pina
10-29-2003, 10:42 AM
Me and my training brothers/sisters will throw on a gi for a few hours a week to roll ... but we don't wear belts, we just let it hang freely.

This is something that was incorporated a few months ago because a few BJJ and Hapkido guys joined up and wanted to learn the school's ground game, also to make us more familiar with the gi since its prevelent out there. I don't know how many Ba Gua or Hsing-I schools throw gis on to roll, but for our school, it's no different than using boxing gloves to train full-power punching or using the shinei for sword work.

Traditional in many cases = antique.

For an organization as large as SD, belts are probbaly a good way to go. It keeps the hobbyists motivated, goal focused.

Judge Pen
10-29-2003, 10:48 AM
Well, that's part of the problem with the SD sales-pitch in that they often mix recent developments in their system with older, more established traditions. For example, the bit about there being many 9th Degree masters at Shaolin, but only one 10th degree. This little tidbit is a complete fabrication, and a melding of two completely different traditions.

I'll agree.

Liokault
10-29-2003, 10:55 AM
For an organization as large as SD, belts are probbaly a good way to go. It keeps the hobbyists motivated, goal focused.

and dont forget the test fee's :D

Meat Shake
10-29-2003, 10:59 AM
Yeah, test fees sucked.

"we just let it hang freely."
I call that 'goin commando'. Or 'kickin it indian style.'
:eek:

GLW
10-29-2003, 04:39 PM
Evolutionfist:

"Anyone remotely familiar with a two-handed sword knows your don't hold it like a baseball bat, you seperate the hands to utilise leverage. "

I am not getting into this discussion on SD - not my thing...

However, what was stated in the above quote was one of my thoughts when I was first learning Shuang Shou Jian (Two Handed Straight Sword). I thought the hands should be separated for leverage.

My teacher (who is VERY well respected in China and comes from a very famous martial arts family there) - corrected me on this. The hands CAN move around but the basic grip is more like a golf grip with them being next to each other. It has more to do with being able to be agile with the blade rather than leveraged.

After several years of working with it, it is BEGINNING to feel OK and I am beginning to understand her instruction...

T'ai Ji Monkey
10-29-2003, 04:51 PM
E-Fist.

The grip should vary depending if it is a true double handed sword or more like 1~1.5 handed sword aka Japanese katana.

Ray Pina
10-29-2003, 04:55 PM
Different stye ... we prefer the katana blade. My master has actually designed his own version in wood for challenge matches that is double curved, like a sideways S but elongaded.

Our school is actually hosting a tournament Nov. 15 if you're in the area. My knowledge is very limited, so the best I can say is that your approach and that of my schools is different. Perhaps by the summer I can speak with more intelligence and experience on this matter though.

Sorry. When it comes to H2H I consider myself well read. I'm a retard with weapons. :o

Judge Pen
10-29-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by EvolutionFist
My master has actually designed his own version in wood for challenge matches that is double curved, like a sideways S but elongaded.

:confused:

So if I come to your school to challenge you or your teacher, I would fight with this sword?

tnwingtsun
10-29-2003, 09:06 PM
"so how did this work? 200 years ago a bunch of bak mei peeps got together in a council and decided to create a style of long fist?"

The Bai/Bak/Pak/Bak Mei system was called "Nor Mei Shaolin" before 1949,GM Cheung Lai Chen named it White Eyebrow,so if there was a "White Eyebrow Counsel" 200 years ago I doubt it had anything to do with the Monk or his system of kung-fu.

TAO YIN
10-30-2003, 12:03 AM
for fung do fuks sake, ive seen some ducked up shiot on kfo, but this is pretty bad....

is this the council story where dogman killed the guy in the ceiling because he heard another person other than the council members breathing in the room, and therefore it was the guy in the ceiling........?????

the true story is that, one day,, su kong tai jin went to chuk fat wans temple to become a student. chuk fat wan told him that in order to get into the temple he had to get a hot wax and rid himself of all his hair....dogman agreed, and then proceeded to wash the temples lettuce for 3 years while sitting in horse stance. one day, chuk fat wan noticed hair i the lettuce and made su kong tai jin sleep with the dogs....not long after this day clc showed up, and learned from chuk fat wan,,,,,affter many years of watching clc train with chuk fat wan, su kong tai jin asked if he could learn,,,,,clc told him that he would teach him jik bo, only if he went on a tiger hunt with the other dogs,,,,su kong agreed, and months later, clc made up a cheerleading type form and taught it to su kong with pressure points and everything,,, this is where the original wahhhhhhhhh fist comes from.

thanks you

i farrted

Lowlynobody
10-30-2003, 12:42 AM
uh oh spagghetio

su kong tai jin told me to tell you fat chuk is going to kick your a$$.

MasterKiller
10-30-2003, 07:51 AM
is this the council story where dogman killed the guy in the ceiling because he heard another person other than the council members breathing in the room, and therefore it was the guy in the ceiling........????? Please tell me this isn't a real SD story.

Judge Pen
10-30-2003, 08:04 AM
Please tell me this isn't a real SD story.

As real as "Bak Mei" being able to make his abdomen paper thin against the wall to absorb a punch. It's SD mythology and in the same vein with much of Chinese martial mythology.

tnwingtsun
10-30-2003, 03:45 PM
"As real as "Bak Mei" being able to make his abdomen paper thin against the wall to absorb a punch. "

First time I've heard that one,was it in a Shaw Brother's film?

Judge Pen
10-30-2003, 03:50 PM
I'll see if I find where I read it at and post the link. My point is that there's Chinese History and Chinese myth and the martial arts are full of the latter being passed off as the former.

General Kwan's disembodied head opening it's eyes suddenly after the head was presented to Cao Cao is another example. It's a myth and bedtime story about a great martial general. I believe the story about Su Kong is the same.