PDA

View Full Version : Skull Crushers observation

IronFist
10-26-2003, 11:48 PM
I can normally do skull crushers with X weight for 12 reps with an EZ curl bar. Tonight I was using dumbells instead, so obviously it was one handed. You would assume that your dumbell weight would be 50% of the barbell weight, but this is not the case.

On my last workout, I did 5 sets of 12 with X weight on a curl bar.

Tonight, on my first set, I had to rest pause in order to get 12 reps, and that was with 40% of X. I thought this was a bit low, especially for a first set.

Any ideas?

The only thing I can think of was that when I do them with DBs my palms are perpindicular to the floor (they face the wall) as opposed to with a curl bar in which case they are 45º to the wall/ceiling. This might result in a weaker head being brought more into play with DBs and consequently lower weight.

Any ideas? <-- hey I just said that :D

rubthebuddha
10-27-2003, 09:14 AM
different angle would mean a different tricep head (as we chatted about earlier).

it'd also mean that you don't have the other arm to help with balance, so some of your energy is being spent on just keeping the thing from falling to the side and smacking you on your noggin.

Shaolin-Do
10-27-2003, 09:27 AM
Skull crushers?

rubthebuddha
10-27-2003, 01:46 PM
check in the other thread IF started about skullcrushers.

Ford Prefect
10-29-2003, 10:05 AM
Never tried them with dumbbells. I've found other dumbbell exercises to be pretty effective though. I just did a set of ten skull crushers with 135 yesterday. Nothing to write home about, but I was amped as all he11.

lowsweep
10-31-2003, 06:25 PM
I have begun using dumbells for the skullcrushers too. I am also stronger with palsm facing away, I believe (still could be wrong on this one) this puts more stress on the long head where more of our strength would be. With the DB's you have more control at the bottom of the movement-where you either touch the top or your shoulder, the front of your shoulder, your ear, etc. I always do them with a DB in each hand though, never tried just one. Try to bench one dumbell (one arm), you can't do nearly the weight you can balanced with one on each side. Maybe the same thing is happening here? As a side note, I found a nice tip in EDT you may try for some variation. Try doing skullcrushers on a slight decline bench and dont let your arms straighter to perpendiculat to the floor at the top. Instead, they should be perpendicular to your body, so the tri's are still working to hold it up. You should feel that the next day.

IronFist
10-31-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by lowsweep
Instead, they should be perpendicular to your body, so the tri's are still working to hold it up. You should feel that the next day.

So if your feet are to the left and head to the right, your arms would be like this at the top: /

Yeah, actually that's how I was taught to do skull crushers normally, so that even on a flat bench your arms should be leaning toward your head just a little. It's supposed to keep the triceps engaged and not give it a rest when your arms are locked and vertical and your bones are holding up the weight.