PDA

View Full Version : Give us ya Diet!

Souljah
10-27-2003, 05:02 AM
Do you have set eating patterns/times as part of your training?
What do you MAKE SURE you eat daily? (fruit, etc) And in what quantities.....?
Do you take Vitamin Tablets/Supplements?

Just want some ideas because I'm trying to put and end to my irregular and inconsistant eating habits.

Thanks for any help

-greg

fa_jing
10-27-2003, 03:09 PM
Here's one: never eat an all-starch meal or snack.

Ka
10-27-2003, 04:27 PM
Daytime
Fruit during the day (Breaky Lunch)
In the form of Blends(peeled then blended with jucie and ice)
Coffee,Tea,Chocies,Water
Sometimes rice in the morning depends what I am doing

Night time
Protiens and vegs,salads

Ocasionally take MV or Vit E, Cod Liver Oil or Kelp

Rarely: Bread,sugar, flour based products

Lots of : eggs, fish ,seaweeds, miso,meat,milk,fruit and veg
No fat reduced stuff

Alcolhol: here and there,depends whats up
Non smoker

IronFist
10-27-2003, 05:02 PM
Breakfast:
Cereal usually. I don't like breakfast very much.

Lunch:
Pizza/sandwhich/raviolli/maccaroni/whatever, try to make it at least 800 calories. Milk, juice, whatever.
GNC megamen multivitamin.

Dinner:
Some meat: Chicken/Steak/Pork/Fish/Turkey/etc.
Something with carbs: Baked potato/rice/etc.
Something else: Garlic bread/rolls/
Salad
Vegetables: Broccolli/corn/mixed vegetables/etc.
Milk, juice, whatever

Workout
Right after the workout is an N-Large shake. I usually use 3 scoops instead of 4, so that's 450 calories and 42g protein. My forumula is for each scoop you're going to use, you use 5oz water and two frozen strawberries. The strawberries make the vanilla stuff change from nasty to good tasting. Sometimes I'll throw in half a banana, too.

Dinner 2:
Usually a Hungry Man dinner, but not one of the rediculously bad ones, like one has 200% sodium. Forget that. I try to eat the ones that are around 50% RDA fat, at least 30-40g protein, and 600-800 calories. Some of my favorites are Boneless Fried Chicken, and Beer Battered Chicken and Cheese fries. I stay away from the Pulled Pork one cuz it only has 9(!) grams of protein. Wtf? Shouldn't pork have more than that?
Also sometimes pizza instead of a Hungry Man.

That's the IronFist diet.

Becca
10-27-2003, 05:08 PM
I eat small amounts every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Still tend to eat regular sized meals at the normal mealtimes, I just add snacks as well. Also, never eat all starch, all protien, ect... Try to keep every thing you eat ballenced. I.e. some veggies, carb and protien evry time you eat even if it is just a snack.

FYI- most fruits are very high in sugar, so try to eat them by themselves and at least two hours after any other meal. Your body will be less inclined to store it as fat and will use it to keep your blood sugar level even. This is a big part of not feeling "bad" when dieting.

fa_jing
10-27-2003, 07:34 PM
Oh, so you're one of those raw-meat guys eh?

Ka
10-27-2003, 10:16 PM
Here's an interesting one on Grains
see what you think
http://www.mercola.com/1999/archive/truth_about_eating_grains.htm

Serpent
10-27-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by inic
Want to see whats in your colon? take a piece of bread, put 1/4-1/2 stick of butter on it (organic if you can get it). Then take two spoon fuls of cod liver oil. wait one hour. EVERYTHING is coming out!

How much is 1/4 to 1/2 a stick of butter? Any idea in ounces or grams?

IronFist
10-28-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by inic
Edit: btw, i bet if Ironfist changed his diet to mine, his training results will improve a lot

I bet if IronFist changed his diet to yours, he would shrink. :D

Ka
10-28-2003, 12:28 AM
Ahhh well thats all marketing isn't it,the price of info on the net.

However a good background book on the topic would be

Jared Diamond's "Guns,Germs and Steel"

It will connect a few dots,excellent read in general.

FatherDog
10-28-2003, 09:12 AM
I tend to buy organic vegetables and free-range meats, and make stuff from scratch. I still cook food, though; bacteria is a concern, and a lot of foods actually release more nutrients when you cook them.

Generally I eat some eggs for breakfast, a roast beef sandwich and some chicken for lunch, and whatever dinner I feel like making, with some fruit as snacks during the day.

j-himself
10-28-2003, 01:20 PM
anyone tried any japanese grub besides sushi and the stuff they serve at them fancy japanese resturants? i'm talking about the stuff normal ppl eat.

havent done much research about it, but supposedly japanese food is the healthiest there is. they do have the longest life span for a reason. dunno if its suffcient for someone who works out though.

either way, its hella good stuff. best thing about it, is that u can eat till u almost burst like everytime u eat, n u still wont get fat.

gotta pay japan another visit soon...

fa_jing
10-28-2003, 02:36 PM
Ironfist: Don't eat frozen dinners. I understand because you're a student. But you are basically eating stewed cardboard. You can't make gains on that crap. Your shake is good, but it is still a shake. You need some good, natural food. Why not just buy a couple pounds of ground beef, cook it to your taste, then eat it over the course of a few days with some whole wheat bread?

FatherDog
10-28-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing
Ironfist: Don't eat frozen dinners. I understand because you're a student. But you are basically eating stewed cardboard. You can't make gains on that crap. Your shake is good, but it is still a shake. You need some good, natural food. Why not just buy a couple pounds of ground beef, cook it to your taste, then eat it over the course of a few days with some whole wheat bread?

I actually remember a thread not all that long ago where I gave a couple recipes for food that could be easily cooked in bulk on a student lifestyle. Don't remember the title, though....

Becca
10-28-2003, 04:37 PM
Sausage-and-Egg is a good one... is actually a philipino dish... can't remember the name of it...

take 1 lb sausage (any flavor) and mix with 1/2 cup bread crums or quick oats, then divide into 6 equal parts.
take 6 hard-boiled eggs (peeled) and mush the sausage around them. Technickly, you should now put it in a fresh sausage skin, but I never do.

Now you either bake it @ 350` F or steam untill meat is cooked well (about 35-45 minutes)

can be eaten warm but is much better cold. And will keep in the fridge for a week or more.

Ka
10-28-2003, 09:54 PM
I guess you haven't seen what goes into sauages;)
A lot of fats, flour,Salt,presveratives,Emulsifers,flavour,and whatever meat thats left on the floor.:o

Toby
10-28-2003, 10:04 PM
Ka,

She's American. US sausage = Oz mince. I actually might try that recipe, sounds good. Thanks Becca.

yenhoi
10-29-2003, 07:29 AM
My diet right now (for the last few months) is to eat everything possible.

In the morning usually some cornflake-type-stuff with cranberries and nuts. GOod stuff. Usually a bananna too. Sometimes some other stuff also, like yogurt. I like tea in the morning.

During the day at least 1 protien shake or 1 can of tuna. Sometimes 2 or 1 of each. Lots of fruits and other randomness, some days I munch on "go-gurt" all day long.

When I get home in the afternoon, Ill eat another type of meal. Big sandwich or something.

For dinner, usually chicken or tuna and pasta with lots of vegetables. Sometimes beef, not as often.

More yogurt usually. Im addicted to the stuff :(

Life doesnt get much better then go-gurt.

:eek:

UK MONK
10-29-2003, 09:43 AM
i only drink water or milk and i have to have one peace of fruit a day
:D

Ford Prefect
10-29-2003, 10:00 AM
This is the basic timing of my day:

5:30 AM: Wake Up

5:40 AM: Cereal + Protein Shake

6:00 AM: Workout

7:15 AM: Post-workout Protein Shake + Glucose crystals

8:00 AM: Egg white omlet (4-8 eggs & will throw some whole eggs in there) w/OJ

8:45 AM: Sip 1/2 serving N-Large on way to work and while there

10:00 AM: Cheerio's, cheese/yogurt, protein shake

1:00 PM: Tuna or Chicken Breast on whole grain bread; 1/4 N-Large shake, fruit

4:00 PM: 2 cups Skim milk, protein shake, fruit

5:30 PM: Snack on whatever

7:30 PM: Usually chicken w/rice, pasta, and/or veggies. Fruit juice to wash it down. I'll get a sub once or twice a week if I'm feeling lazy.

9:00 PM+: May snack on something else depending on appetite

10:30/11:00 PM: Protein Shake or 1/2 N-Large Shake

------------------

That's it. That's my optimum plan and I try to stick as close to it as possible, but obviously work/social life can get in the way, so I adapt as necessary. I always use the same plan but stagger the calories based on my goals for that particular period. I label shop big time, and stay away from most processed foods unless they make it past my scruitiny for ingredients. I'm not immortal, so I'll bend and have some nice ben & jerry's or other sweets once a week or so.

rubthebuddha
10-29-2003, 10:52 AM
6:00 wake up
6:05 work out -- either 50 minutes of circuit exercises, wt forms and shadowboxing, or 2-3 mile run
6:55 myoplex lite shake
8:00 black or green tea to start the work day
8:30 piece of fruit and another carbohydrate snack
12:00 on MWF -- moderate lunch, emphasis on protein and veggies.
12:00 on TTh -- wt class
1:15 on TTh -- protein smoothie with strawberries and papaya and lemon and banana and flax and other goodness
3ish: snack about the size of pb&j or smaller, including another cup of tea
5:45: teaching in wt classes until 7:30. then home
8:00 strength workout -- either cable-reinforced pushups 5x12 and cable row 5x20, or pistols 5x7 (getting up to 10) and good mornings 5x10 (with a 30-lb. dumbbell)
9ish -- high-protein dindin with a few veggies.

this is monday through thursday. same goes for friday, but i don't teach that night. the weekend gets at least one nasty workout, and my dining habits are a bit across the map.

edit -- like a good boy, i do drink at least half a gallon of water per day.

IronFist
10-29-2003, 01:01 PM
Wow. You guys get up early.

Becca
10-29-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Ka
I guess you haven't seen what goes into sauages;)
A lot of fats, flour,Salt,presveratives,Emulsifers,flavour,and whatever meat thats left on the floor.:o
Have too. That's why you read lables. Makes it easier to get the good stuff. Not that you have it in Oz, but City Market brand sausage has nothing in it but pork, some salt, natural seasonings, and water. If not into pork, many places in Denver also offer "beeffalo" sausage, which is kosher, if a bit drier from the lack of pork fat.

FatherDog
10-29-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
Wow. You guys get up early.

Yeah. Freaks.

j-himself
10-29-2003, 03:52 PM
how much protein do u guys take really?

2-4 protein shakes a day. thats crazy or i'm really naive. i've just started taking supplements, and i was told and have read that you only need about 25 grams of protein if you're not a serious bodybuilder.

whats the dillli?? do i need more protein or what... ? i weight about 160 right now if that helps.

Serpent
10-29-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Toby
Ka,

She's American. US sausage = Oz mince. I actually might try that recipe, sounds good. Thanks Becca.

Is that right? So she's talking about pork mince? In other words, she's making Scotch Eggs. Coat them in breadcrumbs when you're done and no one would know the difference.

So, what do you Americans call sausages (bangers, snags, etc.) then?

Becca
10-29-2003, 05:22 PM
Links, brats, churizo, what ever the type or flavor calls for...

IronFist
10-29-2003, 09:40 PM
j-himself said:

how much protein do u guys take really?

"Take?" You mean like in shake form? I dunno. Remember that, really, protein shakes are no different from regular protein. And you probably don't need protein shakes unless you need so much protein each day that you can't get it from food alone. For example, a 100lb woman who works out a few times a week and who only needs 80-100g of protein per day does not need to supplement with protein shakes. A pro bodybuilder who needs 4-500g per day would benefit from protein shakes, cuz it's hard to eat enough to get 400g a day from just food.

2-4 protein shakes a day. thats crazy or i'm really naive.

It depends. 2 a day isn't bad. It's just annoying cuz you have to clean the blender twice that way :D I didn't see anyone say that drink that many... Ford said he has 1/2 a shake twice a day, which is really just like 1 shake total.

i've just started taking supplements, and i was told and have read that you only need about 25 grams of protein if you're not a serious bodybuilder.

The 25g a day thing is wrong. The RDA recommends 60g a day, and even that is pretty low. Remember that that is for sedentary (not active) adults. My rule goes like this: If you are trying to gain muscle mass, try to get at least 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight each day. So if you weigh 150lbs, you need about 150g of protein each day. Some people say 2 or 3g per pound of bodyweight if you're a hardcore bodybuilder or athlete on steroids, but for a regular person who lifts weights and works out regularly, 1g per pound per day should be fine.

whats the dillli?? do i need more protein or what... ? i weight about 160 right now if that helps.

Try to get about 160g each day if you can.

Serpent said:
So, what do you Americans call sausages (bangers, snags, etc.) then?

A sausage has two meanings:

1. Any tubular link of meat that is made of animal parts inside a casing. Like a Bratwurst, for example. So, you could say a bratwurst is a type of sausage.

2. "Sausage" sometimes also refers to a specific type of tubular link of meat that is served with breakfast. I don't know what's in it, but if you're at a restaurant ordering breakfast the waiter or waitress will usually ask you "do you want bacon or sausage." Here they're referring to this sausage that is about 3" long and like .5-.75" in diameter.

Toby
10-29-2003, 09:57 PM
Oh, I thought there was a 3rd meaning. It's been a while since I've been to the states, but I'm sure I've heard mince referred to as sausage. A quick search turns up stuff like this:

http://www.chefdecuisine.com/eggs/SCOTCH%20EGGS.asp
http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/appetizers/snacks/scotchegg.html

which is sort of Becca's recipe ;). The recipes imply that "sausage" isn't portions of meat inside a skin, but our Oz definition of mince.

Interesting. I'm gunna try the recipe anyway. I don't think I've ever eaten them before :(

IronFist
10-29-2003, 11:23 PM
Well, we might also call that sausage, but I've never heard of it.

There is a 3rd meaning for sausage, tho. It's slang for male genetalia. For example, a party with way too many dudes and not enough chicks is a "sausage fest." ewww.

Ford Prefect
10-30-2003, 07:30 AM
J-himself,

Depends on your goals. Though 25g/day is pretty low if you are doing any serious training.

stubbs
10-30-2003, 10:51 AM
my diet sucks. im yet to follow a rigid eating plan, i usually just eats whatevers to hand.

i probably only have like 20-40g of protein a day. and i know i dont eat enough veg.

hopefully when i get to read this thread all the way through i'll get some motivation to sort my diet out. trouble is, i used to eat loads but then i got a really bad sore throat and couldn't eat anything solid for about 3 days. this was about a month ago and i still haven't completely got my appetite back.

any help guys?

inic, i'd be interested in what sort of eating plan you could come with.

cheers
stubbs
________
CREAMPIE VIDEO (http://www.****tube.com/categories/16/creampie/videos/1)

IronFist
10-30-2003, 12:50 PM
How do you only eat 20-40g a day? A chicken breast is like 30g by itself.

Becca
10-30-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Toby
Oh, I thought there was a 3rd meaning. It's been a while since I've been to the states, but I'm sure I've heard mince referred to as sausage. A quick search turns up stuff like this:

http://www.chefdecuisine.com/eggs/SCOTCH%20EGGS.asp
http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/appetizers/snacks/scotchegg.html

which is sort of Becca's recipe ;). The recipes imply that "sausage" isn't portions of meat inside a skin, but our Oz definition of mince.

Interesting. I'm gunna try the recipe anyway. I don't think I've ever eaten them before :(

Yes, Oz guys, I was referring to what you guys would call mince. FYI American males: You can buy sausage that is not in a casing. It is the same stuff just not crammed into intestinal skins.:D It is no the meat department right next to the unseasoned ground pork, beef and turkey...

j-himself
10-31-2003, 06:17 AM
iron, ford, somebody.. i need your help.

k. so about this protein stuff... alright, so say that i do need 160 grams of protein a day. now is this from protein shakes only, or overall? if its overall, how many shakes a day do i need if i got a pretty healthy diet? and when should i take them? and one more thing, how many grams of protein does ur shake consists of?

oh brother,, do i ask a lot of q's..

anyhoe, heres one more: should i take one shake before and after i work out?

and what about days off? should i take the same amount of protein shakes too?

i'd appriciate it if u could help a MA brother out here

peace

Ford Prefect
10-31-2003, 07:28 AM
J-himself,

160g may be a bit much... again it depends on your goals and what you want to accomplish with your training. I consume about 240g of protein/day. Near half is from shakes, and the other half is from chicken, fish, eggs, and occasionally beef. I'd say .5g/lb of bodyweight/day is fine though if you are just an average guy looking to stay healthy. Our bodies were built off a meat diet. Might as well keep it that way. ;)

Souljah
10-31-2003, 07:30 AM
my diet sucks. im yet to follow a rigid eating plan, i usually just eats whatevers to hand.

Yea, I'm like that too. Instead of just sticking to something and eating a big meal at regular times, I eat little bits here and there.

Can someone tell what they think of this -

Breakfast

Muesli (Swiss style if it makes a difference)
Fruit (bananas most of the time because theyre so easily avaiable)

Lunch (ish)

Chicken Sandwich
or Tuna + Mayo sandwich
or Tuna and pasta

Dinner

Usually Rice and some sort of meat (Curried) during the week
or Lamb Mince and Pasta
or Lasagne

This is just an outline of how I eat right now, can anyone give me some pointers on what to add and what to lose or what to moderate?
I'm about 160lbs right now and 6'2.
I'm not looking to bulk up massively, just perhaps work on my arms and Pectorals. I train twice a week properly and once a week on my own (more relaxed), I also work out daily doing mostly body weight workouts.....(If this information helps)

Thanks for any help

-greg

Merryprankster
10-31-2003, 08:46 AM
Man a lot of people really worried about what they put into their bodies here!! :D

Eat whatever you want but make sure you get enough protein. Don't go crazy. Work out like a maniac. Rinse, lather repeat. :D

**** eating all this health stuff for the sake of it. Food is FUN. It's art. It's magic. There's a whole world of lovely things to taste out there and I'm reading about Tuna and Protein shakes as part of a regular diet. ONLY when I'm cutting weight thank you.

Otherwise... it's all kinds of stuff. I eat well, but I eat what I want

If you seriously want a good diet, learn to cook and appreciate food. Faux food, including rediculous items like garlic powder, will fall off your palate after a bit, except for certain items (I just love Taco Bell).

Last week, I was cutting weight (last week on a three week cycle).

I had:

Kali Dal w/ Basmati Rice

Acai, blueberries and strawberries

Pita and Hummus

Lamb marinated in Pomegranite Juice, Oregano, onion, salt, cardamom, garlic and a bit of ginger)

A Chinese dish called "Manchurian Chicken" from my collection of recipes (real chinese, not Americo-Cantonese, over cornstarched, over-sweetened garbage, thank you very much. I have 5 different types of soy sauce in my pantry. Yes, I'm a snot :D)

Jerk Lamb (Jamaican seasoning---freshly ground allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, green onion, black pepper, scotch bonnet and salt. Lovely!)

Buddhist Delight (see chinese food rant above)

Tofu and Vegetable soup (See chinese food rant above)

Homemade Chicken soup with dill and lemon juice

Salads up the wazoo, varying ingredients and dressings, including: olive oil and lemon dressing, Balsamic and olive oil vinagrette, different cheeses, including sage darby, sharp cheddar, young asiago, gorgonzola and fresh mozzarella.

Learn to cook. Develop the knife skills, and it'll take you about 5 hours of work on the weekends to get food for the week.

After my tournament, I'm going to eat soup dumplings at joe's shanghai till I vomit.

I'm not insulting anybody here, by the way... I just couldn't live on the things that are listed....

fa_jing
10-31-2003, 09:16 AM
Hmm...I'd have to agree with that last statement....but then again my wife, who's an experienced cook, does 90% of the cooking for us. I'm even taking lunch to work nowadays instead of buying poop-precursor in the street. But recently I evaluated my protein intake and found I wasn't getting enough - enough being .5 grams a day in my book. So I do take either a plain can of tuna or a Protein shake as an extra meal per day, as well as ensuring that every meal I eat contains some protein and eating a fair amount. I have control over my weight, though - recently I fluctuated 10 pounds in a little over 24 hours. This because I was so freaking sore from a MMA workout and I like to eat to recover faster. I've now went back to normal eating habits and am slowing dropping the weight.

IronFist
10-31-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by j-himself
k. so about this protein stuff... alright, so say that i do need 160 grams of protein a day. now is this from protein shakes only, or overall?

Dude I already answered that question above (first post on page 3), but I'll do it again.

For the most part, protein is protein. It doesn't matter where you get it from, as long as you get it. If you need 160g of protein per day, then you need 160g of protein per day (spread out throughout the day, obviously). If you want to get all 160g from chicken or all 160g from protein shakes or any combination thereof it doesn't matter.

if its overall, how many shakes a day do i need if i got a pretty healthy diet?

Don't use shakes unless you have to. Well, at least I wouldn't. Why? Because 1) protein shakes are way more expensive than real food. 2) they're annoying to make and clean up after. If you eat enough, it's possible to get 160g of protein from regular food. Remember that most people don't need protein shakes, they just take them to jump on the fitness bandwagon.

and when should i take them? and one more thing, how many grams of protein does ur shake consists of?

Every shake is different. The one I use isn't a pure "protein shake," but one serving is 56g of protein and 600 calories (cuz there's a bunch of carbs and a bit of fat, too). It's more of a weight gaining formula.

If you use shakes, find out how much protein is in one scoop (not one serving, but one scoop) and then you can make as much or as little as you want. A good shake should have around 30g in it.

anyhoe, heres one more: should i take one shake before and after i work out?

After, eat carbs with it too.

and what about days off? should i take the same amount of protein shakes too?

Ok listen. Protein shakes aren't some super-supplement. All they are is protein. If you eat a chicken breast or drink a 30g protein shake it's pretty much the same to your body. So on days that you don't work out, you still need the same amount of protein as on days you do work out, especially if you're recovering from a workout.

Finally, if you're not trying to add muscle you don't even need 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. Are you lifting weights for size? If not you don't need that much protein. I mean, you need it for bodyweight MA type stuff, too, but not quite as bad.

So post your current diet and we'll see if you even need shakes.