PDA

View Full Version : Terrain Fighting

BenjaminSLKF
06-30-2000, 12:04 AM
I was wondering how many of you have trained for different type of terrain and environments. Something that brought this to mind is some of the things I have learned. When we learn bo staff techniques we deal primarily with the Northern style (mountains) and southern style (rice paddies). The North style you hold the bo as if you were going to use it as a walking stick. The Southern style you wield the bo as if you were waist deep in water. Have any of you trained so that you could fight in water, snow, etc.?

jim lin
06-30-2000, 12:21 AM
To a certain extent, although not exactly in the context you're speaking of.

Since the system I train in uses some pretty nifty footwork, I train on a lot of different surfaces - carpet, asphalt, polished wood, gravel, grass, dirt...I haven't done beach sand yet, but I will one of these days.

-J.

Very Ignorant Mantis
06-30-2000, 12:26 AM
Well, I've practiced with about 6 beers in me before if that counts.

Humbly / IM

----------
I either want less corruption in the world, or more opportunity to participate in it.

Braden
06-30-2000, 01:17 AM
It's actually explicitly mentioned in the baguazhang classics that students should go out and train on as many different kinds of terrain as possible. Similarly, the classics suggest focusing on various aspects of the footwork in different conditions - rain, snow, dark, etc.

Being a highly-footwork intensive art that (I would say) is practical, this isn't that surprising /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

HuangKaiVun
06-30-2000, 05:48 AM
I "train" all the time no matter where I go.

If I'm hiking, I'm practicing my stepping.

In a crowded subway, I'm shifting my weight to one leg to practice balance.

On the beach, I practice flexing (for the girls) and staying on my feet in the sea.